Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #11,866 of 48,562
Quote:
Evshrug, with the astro mixamp, I have the base which is at the entertainment center which the optical plugs into. Then I have the volume/chat control receiver that sits in my lap while I play. So at the moment, I dont really have a cord that runs the length of the floor.

I will check my TV to check its output, but as you all have stated, I doubt it sends 5.1

I like the sound of the marantz receiver. Can you use the headphones of your choice or only the Marantz?

It's a centerpiece for your home theater... everything connects to it, and it sends video to your TV and sound to speakers or headphones. I don't think Marantz even makes headphones? It's not a gaming specific device, though with DH it has all the surround capability of gaming devices. You can even manually boost or cut the bass and treble (maybe even the mids, my old receiver does that, as well as channel balance). The only thing you'd lose, is the Mixamp's nice integration of chat (you play SP mostly anyway, right?), and of course you'd have the headphone wire run the length of the floor while you use it. When I had an apartment, I kept my headphone on a small stand (with the wire neatly coiled up) next to the receiver when I wasn't using it, never bothered me... was nice to have my gear on display, and all the other wires neatly tucked away behind. My beefy/high quality headphone wires are sexier than standard interconnects anyway :wink:

I didn't realize you had the wireless Mixamp. I'd definitely recommend trying to plug it directly into a console first (with 5.1 Dolby selected in the console's settings menu) to see if you had been getting surround sound.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #11,867 of 48,562
Quote:
I believe he sampled then in a bb a while back and did not think too highly of them. I wouldn't expect a review from MLE on the k550 any time soon.

No worries. So it sounds like if you are looking for a closed-back set that will be used for general purpose with some emphasis on soundstage for gaming (and it wont break the bank), the DT770 looks like a place I'll start. Any other closed-back recommendations?

BTW, I picked up a pair of K702s last night to replace my AD700. Burning them in right now and can't wait to get some fraggin done with them in Planetside 2 (currently).

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #11,868 of 48,562
As soon as I get home this evening, I'll change some things around and check it out.

Is the HD598 near the top that can be properly amped by the mix amp, or is there another set that has the fun factor I'm looking for that the mix amp can drive?

Or is my best bet, like was mentioned, upgrade the amp before thinking about the headphones?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #11,869 of 48,562
While I'm not completely stupid when it comes to this stuff, there is alot I am just learning. For instance, I never knew that an AVR receiver would act like a ampfor a set of headphones. So that's good to know. I was actually getting ready to purchase the Klipsch HD SB3 soundbar for the convenience of less wires. But since getting a good AVR receiver will actually in turn help with my headphones, that may sway me back to getting a nice 5.1 system.

I live in a second story apartment with a garage underneath. I could always drill a hole behind my entertainment center and another hole where I would need the cord to come up and run an headphone extension cable. Would that degrade the quality if it ran through an extension?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #11,870 of 48,562
Shame on me!!!.
When i just thought i did decide an can, i started to read half of the [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More thread -.-
When i thought i would buy the DT 990 premium 250, the DT 880 250 ohm, just sneaked in. And they are both the same price, of like 300$.
As i have pointed out, the 880 is much neutral but still with okay bass, and the 990 is something more bass heavy, but still controlled.
The games: BF3, BF4 and maybe Black ops 2. 
Music: Rap/hip hop, rock/metal that genre, every kind of electronic music.

The source come from a cheap cheap sound card. So should maybe get an Asus DG or DGX

The can will by this time be driven by a Denon Avr-1912 receiver, but will be upgraded to something like this: Yamaha 3010, Denon 4312 or an Anthem MRX 300

Will the difference even big that big, in my place?
not the big audiophile, but love great sound :wink:

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #11,871 of 48,562
just ordered the

AKG K702 Open-Back Dynamic Reference Headphones
beyersmile.png

my first proper audophile headphones arrive tomorrow
L3000.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #11,872 of 48,562
Quote:
While I'm not completely stupid when it comes to this stuff, there is alot I am just learning. For instance, I never knew that an AVR receiver would act like a ampfor a set of headphones. So that's good to know. I was actually getting ready to purchase the Klipsch HD SB3 soundbar for the convenience of less wires. But since getting a good AVR receiver will actually in turn help with my headphones, that may sway me back to getting a nice 5.1 system.

I live in a second story apartment with a garage underneath. I could always drill a hole behind my entertainment center and another hole where I would need the cord to come up and run an headphone extension cable. Would that degrade the quality if it ran through an extension?

If you want to simplify a receiver setup, you can run one with a 2.1 or 3.1 (no surround speakers) and have the receiver mimic the rear surrounds for you. It'll process the rear channels and mix it in with the front right and front left speakers, add in some reverb or slightly delay the sound to make it sound somewhat convincing to a real 5.1 setup. It works okay, I have mine set up in 2.1, but it still won't beat a 5.1. "Surround" sound bars do the same thing. Think of it as DH for speakers. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #11,874 of 48,562
Quote:
Shame on me!!!.
When i just thought i did decide an can, i started to read half of the [GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More thread -.-
When i thought i would buy the DT 990 premium 250, the DT 880 250 ohm, just sneaked in.

I went through the same exact decision frustrations - just when I thought I made up my mind I saw another topic that (and that one in particular) made me question all I thought I understood.

While I can't answer your questions since they are dependant on specific hardware, I will say I picked the DT 990s premium (250ohm).  I love 'em.   They really aren't too hard to drive either.  Right now I am just using an E11 to drive them and clarity just astounds me at times.  I have the same taste music but I will say EDM really stands out as some songs really get a good boost and you will hear songs in multiple dimensions if the artist did a good job layering the song.  And hybrid music like Afro Celt Sound System makes the instruments really come alive as if they are playing right behind you.  I want to get a true dedicated amp to see how much more I can get from them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #11,875 of 48,562
I give up on the ODAC, at least for today. Three cords and a bunch of ports and restarts, no go, don't have "another computer" as suggested by JDS Labs so the ODAC may just end up sitting in the box until I ship it out. I missed out on the headphones today and I'm leaving to go to the gym now.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #11,876 of 48,562
Quote:
Shame on me!!!.
When i thought i would buy the DT 990 premium 250, the DT 880 250 ohm, just sneaked in. And they are both the same price, of like 300$.
As i have pointed out, the 880 is much neutral but still with okay bass, and the 990 is something more bass heavy, but still controlled.
The games: BF3, BF4 and maybe Black ops 2. 
Music: Rap/hip hop, rock/metal that genre, every kind of electronic music.

The source come from a cheap cheap sound card. So should maybe get an Asus DG or DGX

The can will by this time be driven by a Denon Avr-1912 receiver, but will be upgraded to something like this: Yamaha 3010, Denon 4312 or an Anthem MRX 300

Will the difference even big that big, in my place?
not the big audiophile, but love great sound :wink:

The reason I was looking at the DT990 over the DT880 for gaming was because all reviews I read stated the DT990 has a much larger soundstage than the DT880 which, for me, is a very high priority for competitive gaming. I never tried the DT880, but I did try the DT990 and K702 and found the soundstage to be excellent for BF3 and Planetside2. Didn't try it with Black Ops 2 because that game is for children. 
wink.gif
 Ultimately, I picked up the K702 last night, but the DT990 was a close second. If it was me and I only could pick between the DT880 and DT990, I would be picking the DT990.

Your question about sound cards is better suited in this thread, but I'll give ya my initial thoughts. When i was looking at sound cards, I narrowed it down to the Asus Xonar STX and Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD. It's mostly a difference of whether you want to process your sound using CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone and whether or not you want proper compatibility with older games or not. If you like CMSS-3D and want to ensure compatibility with older games, an X-Fi card is for you. If you like Dolby Headphone, pick up a Xonar. I didn't care about being compatible with older games, but I still tried both before deciding I preferred CMSS-3D over Dolby Headphone. Went with the Titanium HD and couldn't be happier. There's no right or wrong here. It's just a personal decision based on your tastes. Whatever you get, whether it's one of the ones you or I listed, it's going to be 1000x better than your on-board audio. Absolutely upgrade this so you can add some proper processing to your sound out.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #11,877 of 48,562
Pulled the trigger on the Annies. They should be coming in tomorrow via next day delivery
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #11,878 of 48,562
Quote:
Always wanted to try the 60i or 80i, as they use softies stock.

I doubt you'd be a huge fan of the Grados.

My bro has the SR80i, and I've used them before.  The soundstage is intimate and smallish, and it's mainly to the sides of your head and not much out in front of you.  The mids are also recessed.  The treble is sparkly, but also grainy - not like the  sparkly, but clean, treble of the HE400.  More similar to AD700 treble - sort of sibilant and abrasive.

Also, less bass than the Q701.

Quote:
I don't think you even opened the package... So maybe I'll be first? :p

Edit: having trouble getting the ODAC working...

I opened them up because I modded the headband. 

Did it ever pop up saying "installing new hardware"?

You could go into the device manager and see if it is showing up, and if it its uninstall and then tell it to "scan for hardware changes".

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #11,879 of 48,562
Did it ever pop up saying "installing new hardware"?

You could go into the device manager and see if it is showing up, and if it its uninstall and then tell it to "scan for hardware changes".

Macintosh.
There were generic drivers for the recon3D, so I'm just confused.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #11,880 of 48,562
Quote:
Pulled the trigger on the Annies. They should be coming in tomorrow via next day delivery
biggrin.gif

... WHAT are the Annies q.q I've still yet to figure that out!

Anyways I might be intrested in a pair of mid focused airy treble cans like the Akgs. I have some really quiet really AWESOMELY directional mid heavy music [Mushishi OST] that deserves a can with a little more mids than my Dt 880 [hopefully my New tube will solve my issue]

still what is this ANNIE you guys go on about e.e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back