Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #11,851 of 48,562
Lol, I love that anime.

I'm afraid of higher tier Grados because of their uncomfortable pads.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #11,853 of 48,562
As far as closed-back headphones go, I see the D7000 and DT770 appear on the Top Choices list. The D7000 looks to be very hard to obtain and the price is very much a premium. Does anyone have any other closed-back headphones with a decent soundstage that can be used for a more general use or should I generally look at the DT770 for this? I'd love to see MLE review the K550 since it looks like a lot of people are touting its impressive soundstage for a closed-back can.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #11,855 of 48,562
Yeah, they didn't do a thing for me. I'll hold off on impressions as it wasn't in a controlled environment, but I've been impressed by headphones in worse situations. I found the HD558 favorable, even though it's open in a noisy environment.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #11,856 of 48,562
Very few ever get to experience the luxury of the parts express mini stereo headphones...

I don't think you even opened the package... So maybe I'll be first? :p

Ooh, how are they? Always wanted to try the 60i or 80i, as they use softies stock.

BTW, once I hit 10,000 posts, I'll no longer be using this account in favor of something simpler and new. I'll only log in to update the first post, and/or when buying/selling stuff.

Haven't thought of a name. I was know as Shin, Chaos Zero, and actually a million other names on my other forums. Raven Crimson as well, but we already have a Raven on Head-fi. :p

Why change your name? It isn't directly equivalent, but it reminds me of the three stages of Rampancy:
Melancholy, Anger, and Jealousy.
http://marathongame.wikia.com/wiki/Rampancy

Your current name would fit if you switched to Envy Mad Lust, or would Lust Mad Envy fit better? Anyway, I don't see why you should change your name, you have good reputation here, and many people won't follow a change. Are you just hoping to avoid dealing with PM spam? What if more companies like Skullcandy contact you through your account?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #11,857 of 48,562
I'd still keep my MLE account, I just dont wanna go over 10000, lol. OCD...

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #11,858 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm sure an opera singer covers more of that range than someone like say, Taylor Swift?
tongue.gif
Not that I have much experience with opera (and I plead the fifth on Taylor Swift).

:p

Yes, well trained ones for sure can reach higher and lower for sure.  At the end of the day it's still centered in midrange with harmonics in upper mids, lower treble.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #11,859 of 48,562
Quote:
I'd still keep my MLE account, I just dont wanna go over 10000, lol. OCD...

Well, if OCD is the only reason, maybe your new account should just be literally "MLE."

I'm about to sample the care package! I'm going to (try) connecting the ObjectiveDAC to my computer first and listening through my Q701 and tube amp first, to get a baseline on that piece, then add the HE-400 after a half hour or something :)
EXCITEMENT!!

Edit: having trouble getting the ODAC working...

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #11,860 of 48,562
I have a quick question..

Right now I'm running the Mixamp Pro 2010 edition and a set of HD 598's. The mixamp is connected to my TV's optical out port so I am able to use headphones with all of my gaming devices.I love the HD 598, but just feel like they are lacking in the fun department for me. I play SP games, and rarely, if ever play MP games. From what I have read here and other sites, the HD 598 does not have quite the bass that other cans have.

Looking at this guide has really got me interested in the DT990's. As most of you know here, they come in 4 different sets each with a different OHM. MLE states that all of the Beyer headphones need to be amped to really bring out the sound. MLE also said that "The 32ohm gets you 95% of the way there, with the benefit of being able to sound very good unamped."

My question is, would it be worth it to get these headphones (the d7990's 32 ohm) if I have no plans on amping them? (Using them in combination with the mixamp)

I am not very familar with the amps. I sit about 8 feet away from my TV and setup. If it would be possible to amp my headphones without a bunch of cords running everywhere, I would be interested in doing that.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #11,861 of 48,562
Absolutely not. The 32ohm is harder to drive than the 250ohm. I need to edit if I put sounding good unamped. I meant they sound LOUD unamped. You honestly should not use any of those Beyers unamped. Just a waste of money and potential.

Also, you honestly should not be using your TV's optical out, as I'm almost 90% sure your TV doesn't do dolby digital out for connected devices (only the tvs apps and ota signal). You're basically just getting a 2 channel signal and adding reverb. You really need to make sure.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #11,862 of 48,562
Quote:
I have a quick question..

Right now I'm running the Mixamp Pro 2010 edition and a set of HD 598's. The mixamp is connected to my TV's optical out port so I am able to use headphones with all of my gaming devices.I love the HD 598, but just feel like they are lacking in the fun department for me. I play SP games, and rarely, if ever play MP games. From what I have read here and other sites, the HD 598 does not have quite the bass that other cans have.

Looking at this guide has really got me interested in the DT990's. As most of you know here, they come in 4 different sets each with a different OHM. MLE states that all of the Beyer headphones need to be amped to really bring out the sound. MLE also said that "The 32ohm gets you 95% of the way there, with the benefit of being able to sound very good unamped."

My question is, would it be worth it to get these headphones (the d7990's 32 ohm) if I have no plans on amping them? (Using them in combination with the mixamp)

I am not very familar with the amps. I sit about 8 feet away from my TV and setup. If it would be possible to amp my headphones without a bunch of cords running everywhere, I would be interested in doing that.

Edward,
I can sympathize with the desire to run fewer cables, not buy a whole bunch of accessories, etc.
Thing is, as Mad said, running your inputs to the TV and connecting via the optical out may not be sending a 5.1 audio signal to your mixamp, AND an amp is not an accessory. The mixamp of course has an amp built-in, which FWIR is a little better than run-of-the-mill, but there is more to amping than merely reaching "loud enough." I have a handsome desktop tube amp right here that would open your eyes in the fun department, that you could keep near your Home Theater setup and just run the one headphone cable back to your couch, effectively only having the same number of wires visible and running across the floor.
With your current headphones, which may end up still not being your "endgame headphones," I'd recommend first upgrading the amp section of your setup before stepping into +$200 headphones. Quality amplification can really make a difference.

Also, definitely look into your TV's specs and see if the optical-out can send 5.1 and not just stereo, 2 channel PCM. One of the nice things about the Turtle Beach (for all it's other quality flaws) is it has a light that indicates if the device is receiving a Dolby 5.1 signal - maybe the mixamp offers this too? I don't own either, I use Creative's Recon3D, plugged directly into my Xbox and computer (I only have the one current-gen console).

Another option that might suit you would be to look into a Marantz receiver with Dolby Headphone. You'd gain 1 connection for all your inputs (different consoles & disc players, etc), improved headphone amping, bonus speaker amping (makes a magnificent difference for understanding dialogue, among the more typical fun things), and remote control of volume & features. That may not be an option for everyone, for example me where space is limited and I'm running everything in my bedroom at the moment, but it's a tidy, versatile solution converging a bunch of features.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #11,863 of 48,562
Hmm..You are no doubt right. I mainly use the mix amp for the PS3 and Xbox. Would it help if I ran the optical cable directly from the system to the mixamp?

Of all the headphones you tested, what would you say was the funnest set that really immersed you into the game world, that would not need to be amped.

Like I said, while I love the HD598's clarity and sound. It just doesn't have quite the punch of bass I want.

As a sidenote, I only use the headphones for gaming, no music unless its part of the game or streamed from my PC while playing.

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #11,864 of 48,562
Evshrug, with the astro mixamp, I have the base which is at the entertainment center which the optical plugs into. Then I have the volume/chat control receiver that sits in my lap while I play. So at the moment, I dont really have a cord that runs the length of the floor.

I will check my TV to check its output, but as you all have stated, I doubt it sends 5.1

I like the sound of the marantz receiver. Can you use the headphones of your choice or only the Marantz?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #11,865 of 48,562
The Marantz is AVR a receiver, like you see at Best Buy and stuff. Think of it as a dac, amp, for speakers, and dolby headphone device. All in one. Its just really freaking huge and heavy. It has a headphone jack. You can use any headphone.

Mine is the SR5002. Very old model. Got it for $175 on Ebay.

If looking for receivers, make sure they have Dolby Headphone. Google helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back