Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #11,897 of 48,562
Quote:
No, just get one off Amazon. I get the mediabridge one. Really high quality and more flexible than the Monoprice ones, but both work very well.

That Mediabridge one looks good quality from what I can see in the pictures.

Just want to make sure one more time before I order an amp. The E9K should be plenty to drive the Annies well?

I decided to just go with the E9K/E17 combo as it seems to be the most convenient (plenty of inputs/outputs, so no switching cables all the time) and has good reviews.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #11,898 of 48,562
You shouldn't have much of a problem with that setup. The output impedance on the E9K isn't normally ideal with headphones less than 80ohm, but the K702 doesn't have any real issues with output impedance.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #11,899 of 48,562
Quote:
You shouldn't have much of a problem with that setup. The output impedance on the E9K isn't normally ideal with headphones less than 80ohm, but the K702 doesn't have any real issues with output impedance.

Sounds good. Since the E17 has an Optical input and USB as well, which is the better option for the DAC? My PC has an Optical out I can use.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #11,900 of 48,562
Optical. Usb might pick up interference. Try both, and see which you like more.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #11,901 of 48,562
Still kind of wary about what I should go with.

E9K/E17 would work with the Annies, but as you said because of the output impedance, it wouldn't be optimal.

I could always wait and save up a little to get something better. Are there any better options out there that would still give me the multiple inputs for switching between PC and the Xbox?

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #11,902 of 48,562
It wouldn't be optimal for other heqdphones. The drivers o tbe Annies aren't affected in the same way. I would personally go with the E9K for the price. Can't beat that versatility.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #11,903 of 48,562
Quote:
No, just get one off Amazon. I get the mediabridge one. Really high quality and more flexible than the Monoprice ones, but both work very well.

I got a medbrige coiled cable... it failed on me... MONO PRICE FTW 

No 3.5m cables really hate me... though... I always yank them out by accident an then sound goes out on one side of my cans q.q

My Fiio Cable still works, my Mono Price [HUGE] flaked out one day for 7 seconds let's hope it's not screwed... and my media bridge is busted

I think it's my Hifimans Line out... it seems to be a AGRESSIVE connector xD it always RUINS my cables.

Still MONO PRICE FOREVER ]screw media bridge xD[ 

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #11,904 of 48,562
Still kind of wary about what I should go with.

E9K/E17 would work with the Annies, but as you said because of the output impedance, it wouldn't be optimal.

I could always wait and save up a little to get something better. Are there any better options out there that would still give me the multiple inputs for switching between PC and the Xbox?

Not optimal, but maybe not a huge issue. The output impedance is just 10 ohm, right? Anyway, I found this article on headphone impedance helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #11,905 of 48,562
How will a used  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion for a price of 71 USD, compare with the Asus Xonar DG 37 USB?.
Not sure how the Creative compare with the xonar by price?.
Hope anyone can give me a hint:)

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #11,906 of 48,562
Grymok,
The best place to ask that question is on Nameless' thread, although I see you already found that.
The biggest difference, however, will be that Creative's X-Fi card will use CMSS-3D for surround processing, and the Asus Xonar will use Dolby Headphone. The other thing some people mention is that Asus' drivers can be a pain and haven't been updated for a while, and Creative's fatality should have drivers similar to the regular X-Fi Titanium which are pretty good. CMSS-3D allows for a "sphere" of sound positioning, while Dolby creates a "ring" of positions (2D instead of 3D), but it's up to you if you think that's important. Creative's cards also have more features and better support for old games (there's a gold mine of good games between 2004-2006), but games haven't taken advantage of EAX, for example, for the past few years.

Really, either one should be ok. Chose based on your taste more than anything else, cuz you gotta enjoy it. Good Luck

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #11,907 of 48,562
How will a used  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion for a price of 71 USD,
 compare with the Asus Xonar DG 37 USB?.

Not sure how the Creative compare with the xonar by price?.

Hope anyone can give me a hint:)

You're better off asking those questions in this thread.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #11,909 of 48,562
Mad,
Finally getting a chance to listen to the HE-400s as I type. Did an 18.5 min video showing my impressions, I don't know if it'll be of use to anyone else but it was fun, actually felt rushed on my end but over 5 mins is probably too long for viewers.

Basically, my impression is the HE-400 is a fun can, performing rather than replicating. No duh, right? More bass than I'm used to, seems MADE for Massive Attack, listening to Heliogoland right now and it adds a lot of drama. I also feel the HE-400 is a smoother headphone, not treble fatiguing - very detailed, but a little more rounded on the details. Bass also stands out, kicks harder and takes attention away from mids, I wouldn't use with any genre unless it was all I had, if that were the case I wouldn't be missing out but it adds a little dark chocolate to every song "meal," I love chocolate but it might make some song-foods taste weird with it.

Haven't tried it unamped or gaming yet, going to try that. I think it'll be fine, but it doesn't reach that "being there" feeling and instead feels like listening to media. It may be more fun, but I don't get lost in it quite the same.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #11,910 of 48,562
Somebody mentioned he/she wanted a receiver? I think a sound system (speakers) was also mentioned? I have a receiver for sale if you're interested. Just check out my sig for the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back