Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #9,631 of 48,562
Quote:
I do think the CAls are great sounding headphones for the price. 
But personally I found the cups barely fit around my ears and the diaphragms feel like they are about 1mm from my ear.
So my ears feel "bothered" in less them 10 minutes of listening, Check out the Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), 60-Ohm, they cost more then the CALs, but the HSR-1000 (Pro 80) are much more comfortable to wear and are at least equal (if not better?) to sound quality then the CALs.
I was able to get the Gemini HSR-1000 shipped to me for $68.20, from Woot Tech.

I'll keep the HSR-1000 in mind. 

The more reading/thinking I'm doing, the more I'm leaning towards headphone (perhaps ATH-AD700, if they're an upgrade over my HD555's) + mic vs. headset.  However, if my fiancee is using the X12's, is there a way for both of us to use voice comm through the DSS?  Would a mic splitter work?

For reference, my current setup is: 
TV -> HDMI -> Xbox
TV ->Optical cable -> Receiver
TB X12  -> USB/Green Mic cord-> DSS -> Optical cable (also plugged into xbox via usb) -> Adapter (has Red/White and optical inputs) -> Xbox

I guess what I'm wondering, if I go the headphone + mic route, is if I can leave everything as is, connect the headphones via the Output jack on the DSS, get a mic splitter and hook up a standalone mic along with the X12's?  Would that enable sound + voice for us both?

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #9,632 of 48,562
Hi mad lust, what would you recommend out of the open headphones you have owned as for the best for music (video game soundtracks and ambient chill music) apart from the he400? Any advice would be great :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #9,634 of 48,562
Hey guys, I had previously owned a pair of Sennheiser HD558's that I had been using for gaming and music, and while they were great for gaming, they didn't provide the bass I wanted for my music. The music I listen to consists mostly of Rock, R&B, and some Rap. I am by no means a Basshead, but i don't want a pair of bass light Headphones like the Hd558's or Ad700's. So far I have been reccomended a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's, and  Audio Technica A700's. These would be used with my Asus Xonar DG sound card. All suggestions are appriciated, Thanks.

Edit: sorry, but I forgot to mention that my budget is $150 max.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #9,635 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys, I had previously owned a pair of Sennheiser HD558's that I had been using for gaming and music, and while they were great for gaming, they didn't provide the bass I wanted for my music. The music I listen to consists mostly of Rock, R&B, and some Rap. I am by no means a Basshead, but i don't want a pair of bass light Headphones like the Hd558's or Ad700's. So far I have been reccomended a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780's, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's, and  Audio Technica A700's. These would be used with my Asus Xonar DG sound card. All suggestions are appriciated, Thanks.

I have the mmx 300's which from my understanding are pretty much the same as the dt 700's. And the mmx 300's are amazing on music. really tight accurate bass and crisp mids and highs.

i would def recommend them

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #9,636 of 48,562
I have the mmx 300's which from my understanding are pretty much the same as the dt 700's. And the mmx 300's are amazing on music. really tight accurate bass and crisp mids and highs.

i would def recommend them

Thanks for the recomendation, but my budget is $150. I forgot to mention that in my original point. If I did have the money I would definitely look into those.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #9,637 of 48,562
Quote:
Thanks for the recomendation, but my budget is $150. I forgot to mention that in my original point. If I did have the money I would definitely look into those.

i didnt pay much more than 150. :) nowhere near the 415 retail price. My budget used to be 150, but I have gone through too many headsets to realize I should have just shelled out a few more bucks on something substantial (mmx 300) and now I couldnt be happier.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #9,638 of 48,562
Quote:
i didnt pay much more than 150. :) nowhere near the 415 retail price. My budget used to be 150, but I have gone through too many headsets to realize I should have just shelled out a few more bucks on something substantial (mmx 300) and now I couldnt be happier.

I was actually looking into buying the sennheiser pc360's refurbished for around $150. Would these be a good purchase?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DA4D2U/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #9,639 of 48,562
Quote:
I was actually looking into buying the sennheiser pc360's refurbished for around $150. Would these be a good purchase?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DA4D2U/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

I wouldn't expect the PC360s to sound that different from the HD558s.  And you already said:

Quote:
Hey guys, I had previously owned a pair of Sennheiser HD558's that I had been using for gaming and music, and while they were great for gaming, they didn't provide the bass I wanted for my music. The music I listen to consists mostly of Rock, R&B, and some Rap. I am by no means a Basshead, but i don't want a pair of bass light Headphones like the Hd558's or Ad700's

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #9,641 of 48,562
I just love this review, so useful, I keep coming back.

HD598s go like this for me.

Comfort - 9/10. I'd give them a 10/10 but I haven't tried out  other brands.

Fun - 8/10. They could use a little more impact and sub bass.

Competitive - 10/10. I don't have the surround sound feature. But, for me, that doesn't hold me back. I always get the drop on enemies.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9,642 of 48,562
Quote:
That would probably be true. Would you have any recomendations in the $150 price range? 

Usually headphones that are good for listening to rap and with stronger bass are the ones that are bad for gaming (closed, small soundstage).  It's hard to get open headphones with lots of bass.  Especially in the $150 range.  There are more options in the higher price range...  :\

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #9,643 of 48,562
Quote:

Usually headphones that are good for listening to rap and with stronger bass are the ones that are bad for gaming (closed, small soundstage).  It's hard to get open headphones with lots of bass.  Especially in the $150 range.  There are more options in the higher price range...  :\

It would probably be a better idea to buy a seperate pair of headphones for music lol.. anyways in terms of just gaming, I trust by reading the review on this thread that the pc360's would be the best headset for gaming in my price category correct?

Another reason i sold the hd558's was due to the fact that i hated having to use the modmic with the heaphones because of the long cable, and I would prefer a headset better.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #9,644 of 48,562
Quote:
It would probably be a better idea to buy a seperate pair of headphones for music lol.. anyways in terms of just gaming, I trust by reading the review on this thread that the pc360's would be the best headset for gaming in my price category correct?

Another reason i sold the hd558's was due to the fact that i hated having to use the modmic with the heaphones because of the long cable, and I would prefer a headset better.

PC360 is one of the better/best headsets, so ya, if you get it under $150 it's probably the best headset in the price range.

Just don't expect much difference from HD558....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back