Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #9,646 of 48,562
Quote:

I feel the need to elaborate before people come at me, lol.

1. Dolby Headphone - It's a one trick pony in comparison to others. I know of only up to 3presets that you can set it to to customize it to you. It's a generic HRTF, so it may not work for you. You can also use whatever EQ is on the device providing the Dolby HP. It's only provided through optical with Dolby Digital 5.1 unless you get an older Harmon Kardon receiver. You'd be missing out on some nice tech goodies if you're going the receiver route, but it will do Dolby HP over HDMI LPCM for uncompressed lossless. Thing is, it's an ERTF, which is unrealistic. It also started out as a theater technology, but it works well for some in games. Dolby Digital 5.1 is the most compressed form of 5.1, meaning it's the worst quality. If you wanted the best of both words, be prepared to put down a huge chunk of change to get Dolby HP in a modern receiver.

2. Turtle Beach DSS2 - It's basically a poor mans Dolby Headphone/mixamp. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

3. THXTruStudioPro - Only available on console through the Recon3DUSB. It's similar to CMSS-3D, which is nice, but it's a USB/Optical Device, only capable of Dolby Digital. Has more customization as well, but also Generic HRTF. Next.

4. CMSS-3D - Only available on console using a rarer Auzentech X-FI HT HD card, but this card has absolutely terrible reviews. It's amazing if you get it perfect, but I'd just shy away from this. Check Newegg's and Amazon's Reviews. Again, generic HRTF. Nice to have MacroFX and elevation filters though!

5. Silent Cinema - Found on Yammie receivers. Has up to 23 presets, with different settings for each I believe. The RX-A710 has 17. Check the thread link earlier on in here for more info. This is also another generic HRTF, but, at least it's more customizeable, is a HRTF, not ERTF, can be found on modern receivers for a modest price, all while providing the highest form of LPCM. Hell, you even get a built in Adaptive DSP and DRC, with the latter providing a great option on consoles since it balances out all the sounds (so you can hear chat as well).

6. MyEars - Just look it up. Completely custom. You'd have to get a computer, then input the PS3 to it.

I rushed this a bit. I'll come back later and edit it. Gotta run! Hope this helps!

How do you use myears with an external input? Plz elaborate, I would def. like to try this.

-Erik

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #9,647 of 48,562
Hi mad lust, what would you recommend out of the open headphones you have owned as for the best for music (video game soundtracks and ambient chill music) apart from the he400? Any advice would be great :)

Other than the HE4 and HE400, there's the HD650, Q701, and DT990. Love all three, though NOW if I could have one, it would be the HD650 because of those magical mids and pleasant tone.

The DT990 if you want bass and raw energy, and Q701 for the most balance with just a tad bit of shyness in the bass. The Q701 with a subtle bass boost is probably the best thing in the $250 range. Seriously. If I wasn't so against using bass boosts personally, the Q701 is probably near perfection sound-wise. They do music and gaming justice.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #9,648 of 48,562
Quote:
The Q701 with a subtle bass boost is probably the best thing in the $250 range.

Soooooooo........Let me know when you get that K702 65th Anniversary.

wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #9,649 of 48,562
Lol, that'd only happen if the price goes down to less than $350. But im hopeful. Also, it depends on what happens first:

Fidelio X1 sold on Amazon.com in the states, or the K702/65 goes down in price (seen it at $470, which is too much for a slightly improved Q701).

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #9,650 of 48,562
Quote:
Lol, that'd only happen if the price goes down to less than $350. But im hopeful. Also, it depends on what happens first:
Fidelio X1 sold on Amazon.com in the states, or the K702/65 goes down in price (seen it at $470, which is too much for a slightly improved Q701).

Well, I'm curious about either one, so it's all good.

In the meantime....

http://www.headfonia.com/the-fidelio-x1-by-philips/

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9,651 of 48,562
Double your pleasure, double your post.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #9,652 of 48,562
That review solidified my interest in the X1. My only concern is the size and my large head. I'll probably have to wear it forward, instead of my usual headband placement.

Just waiting on Amazon...

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #9,653 of 48,562
Quote:
That review solidified my interest in the X1. My only concern is the size and my large head. I'll probably have to wear it forward, instead of my usual headband placement.
Just waiting on Amazon...

Yes, based on the impressions of the review it sounds like the signature is nice mix of the warmth of HD650 but with some more air and "fun" up top.  Still not sure about the soundstage though....

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #9,654 of 48,562
Yeah, it sounds like a blend of HD650 and DT990. More airiness and treble clarity than the HD650, less sizzle than the 990, and bass like both. I found the HD650 to have bass not far off from the 990s, so I was happy. All I ever wanted from the 990s was less treble and more mids, and the X1 sounds like just that, with warmth to further sweeten the mix.

The HD650 can be slow and reserved which is my only real gripe with it, though I think its necessary for it to be that way to make the mids as lovely as they are.

Really, the HD650 with more air and treble clarity is almost perfection, to be honest.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #9,655 of 48,562
Mad Lust Envy, just want to say thanks a million! This guide has been incredibly helpful to me for a very long time.  I've come a long way since first reading this guide, and have tried a large portion of the headphones listed (my wallet hates you 
biggrin.gif
) Right now I'm listening to the DT 770 AE's and they're awesome, but I think I'm going to end up with the HE 400's since I loved them while I had them. 

Anyways, I actually have a quick question...How do you guys think the Mixamp is as a standalone amp (when turning off the Dolby mode).  IMO, compared to my E17, it actually does pretty well. I used to love it, because it has really powerful bass, but I feel like the E17 is a bit more refined.

I have searched long and far for an answer to how it performs without Dolby, but AFAIK nobody's ever reviewed that part of the Mixamp.   I'm curious because I don't have much to compare it to, and I personally don't like Dolby for music.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #9,656 of 48,562
It is not a very powerful or clear amp. There is audible noise added by the Mixamp. It can't compete with real audiophile portable amps. I certainly wouldn't suggest using it for music use unless you have nothing else, and have a crappy sounding source like a netbook.

Better than nothing, worse than a standard headphone amp. Not sure how the DAC portion fares, but you can't use that alone....

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #9,657 of 48,562
Just pulled the trigger and ordered a new set of DT990 Pro's 250 OHM and a DSS2. I'm thinking this will be a big step up from my DJ headphones - Sennheiser HD25s -  that I've been using for gaming and movies. (These are really not designed for gaming and movies!).

Thanks to MLE and everyone else who has provided info into this thread.

Will post of my reviews of this set up once I open it on Xmas day :wink:

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #9,658 of 48,562
Other than the HE4 and HE400, there's the HD650, Q701, and DT990. Love all three, though NOW if I could have one, it would be the HD650 because of those magical mids and pleasant tone.
The DT990 if you want bass and raw energy, and Q701 for the most balance with just a tad bit of shyness in the bass. The Q701 with a subtle bass boost is probably the best thing in the $250 range. Seriously. If I wasn't so against using bass boosts personally, the Q701 is probably near perfection sound-wise. They do music and gaming justice.

Thanks mad lust, q701 or dt990 sounds like my best bet as I am not a fan of the darker warmer sound from sennheisers, really just looking to get lost in the ambient chill music, speaker like sound while having the option to be solid for gaming, was considering saving up for the t1 but perhaps that's overkill as I will only be using a portable amp (with optical for ps3) and I think the t1 requires a lot more power, out of the 2 which would you say is harder to drive to full potential? I am aware the dt990 600 will require a fair bit but the q701 seems to have mixed opinions on these forums

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #9,659 of 48,562
The DT990 Pro would be my bet. The Q701 isn't as comfy, and not sure how you'd like it's bass.

Both the 990 and Q701 are love/hate headphones, lol.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #9,660 of 48,562
LOL, so about an hour after I started my chat, the Monoprice CSR basically demanded I try a 3rd headset to ensure it wasn't 2 bad headsets. I seriously doubt this one is going to fix the issue, but we will see.

For those wondering about the Monoprice's headsets ability to adjust separate channels as it says it can.

Erik: I also have a question about something it says in the item's description. It says you can change each of the 8 channels volume independently. I couldn't find any mention of this in the manual, and could find no way to achieve this.
TS - Mike M : That currently is still being worked on to be supported, though will soon be available.
Erik: Why would they advertise it does it if it doesn't though? And how would you update the device for people who have already purchased it?
TS - Mike M : That will be updated in the manual of how that function is to be used. currently it is available on it, though we are still updating the information on it. 
Erik: Ok, thanks. Any eta for that?
TS - Mike M : Not currently
Erik: Ok, thanks for your time.

Take that how you please.

-Erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back