Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #9,601 of 48,562
Quote:
gAHOf.jpg

So this is my mixamp hooked up to my mstage.

Here's how I have it setup:
Xbox/PS3/PC -> HDMI cables -> HDMI Splitter -> Harman Kardon AVR-247 -> Optical passthru -> Mixamp -> Startech HeadSET splitter -> 3.5mm stereo to 2x RCA -> mstage -> headphones

When I don't need chat when I'm playing consoles, I just plug my headphones directly into the receiver. When I'm playing PC games or just want to listen to music I have an Asus U1 hooked up to the mstage to supply it with DH. Then I have some Monitor Audio speakers and a carver sub set up for when volume is of no concern.

So do you have a 1/8" mini to RCA adapter from the Mixamp to the M-Stage?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #9,603 of 48,562
My search has come to a close for console gaming surround sound. I'd like to thank everyone here. Tons of research went into this, as generally these things do for me. I'm happy with the end result. Again with the rarities. I'll be using a RX-A710 Yamaha Aventage 7.1 receiver along with the DSP settings found in this thread >> http://www.head-fi.org/t/365277/silent-cinema-dolby-headphone-comparisons >> until I am able to procure a rare (and expensive) HDMI in/out card (not Auzentech) for use with MyEars (it'll help if I have a high quality soundcard when doing the configuration I think, but if they end up coming out with a MyEars for console, well, my receiver will be able to do the same thing). Regardless, I still want this card for whenever I game on the PC. Quite happy with the result. The biggest thing for me was getting LPCM in multichannel. I finally found a solution. This is the best that it gets for console gaming IMO. It'll be even better when I'm able to use MyEars. Just gotta save up some dough, as well as build a rig.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #9,606 of 48,562
General Question: I realize the Recon3D USB does not decode DTS natively, but I do know optical supports 5.1 DTS, so, would it be possible to run 5.1 DTS from the optical on the PS3 to a receiver, then out to the Recon3D?

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #9,607 of 48,562
Quote:
General Question: I realize the Recon3D USB does not decode DTS natively, but I do know optical supports 5.1 DTS, so, would it be possible to run 5.1 DTS from the optical on the PS3 to a receiver, then out to the Recon3D?

hmm... Just tried it with my HK and mixamp with the Castle in the Sky bluray. Linear PCM only gave me the bgm track and no vocals. Bitstream option was dead silent.

I guess the thing with the optical outs on receivers are that they are purely for pass thru and the receiver itself will not touch that signal.

It does the same thing too when I try and play a movie on my PC that is encoded in DTS and I get the same dead silence.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #9,608 of 48,562
Quote:

hmm... Just tried it with my HK and mixamp with the Castle in the Sky bluray. Linear PCM only gave me the bgm track and no vocals. Bitstream option was dead silent.

I guess the thing with the optical outs on receivers are that they are purely for pass thru and the receiver itself will not touch that signal.

It does the same thing too when I try and play a movie on my PC that is encoded in DTS and I get the same dead silence

Hmm, what about HDMI DTS 5.1 to receiver, then optical out to mixamp? I'm trying to figure out a combination using DTS as this is the highest quality multichannel Optical can receive.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #9,609 of 48,562
I'm already running hdmi to my receiver and optical to the mixamp. Castle in the Sky is encoded in DTS-MA 7.1. My receiver doesn't support lossless so it gets fed the embedded DTS 5.1 track.

So I decided to give it another shot and this time I changed the Audio to Japanese (while using linear pcm) and was able to hear the voices but it kinda sounded off.  Switched it back to English and the voices were very faint and near silent and sounded like they were talking in a bucket.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #9,610 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm already running hdmi to my receiver and optical to the mixamp. Castle in the Sky is encoded in DTS-MA 7.1. My receiver doesn't support lossless so it gets fed the embedded DTS 5.1 track.

So I decided to give it another shot and this time I changed the Audio to Japanese (while using linear pcm) and was able to hear the voices but it kinda sounded off.  Switched it back to English and the voices were very faint and near silent and sounded like they were talking in a bucket.

Hmm, although my PS3 doesn't support it, the only other thing I can think of is trying bitstreaming DTS 5.1 to the receiver, letting the receiver decode it, then output the sound through optical to the mixamp.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #9,611 of 48,562
Quote:
Ah. OK. Mine came with one of these:  http://www.astrogaming.com/3rd-party-headset-y-adapter-pkg-d

Yea, they stopped giving those out. Instead they give out 2 male 3.5mm to one female 3.5mm.

But after playing a long session with the mmx 300's, they are ALOT more detailed and crisp as compared to the 2013 a40. The bass is more present, but not too much that it overpowers the treble, and the competitive aspect of the headset. Instead, the bass is very tight and accurate. Makes for a more "fun" headset. The mic is nothing short of amazing. Right away my team noticed i had a new mic and i got compliments for how clear I sounded. And I dont have to talk as loud as I did with the astros. Comfort is great, they feel lighter then the a40's, I am not sure if they are, but if it wasn't for the snug fit, I would probably forget they were on. 

I realized they almost make a seal around my ears, because if you push in on the earcups, I can feel pressure in my ears as if they are going to pop. Not sure if thats how they get these cans to sound so good?

Build quality is amazing. Critical pieces are metal, unlike the astros. The headband is flexible, but sturdy. Everything just feels solid overall.

But I will probably stick with this 1/4 adapter y-splitter situation, because it doesn't seem to make a significant difference. Unless you guys think this extra adapter would make a noticable difference in SQ?

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #9,614 of 48,562
Quote:
where can we still get these MixAmps as stand-alones. or are those headset bundles the only way to go

Quote:

ebay. For now at least. 

That's for the 20112/Pro version at least, you will have to wait for Astro for whenever they want to sell it stand alone for the 2013 version.

Confirmed that the new 2013 mixamp pro will be on sale (standalone) on the 21st of this month. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back