Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6,766 of 48,573
Hey guys.
so I took the plunge and got Q701. Running the following setup now: PS3-------> Harman Kardon 730 -------> Astro Mixamp -------> Y-splitter  --------> Q701
                                                                                                                                                                                                          \-------> Sennheiser microphone (don't know the name but the quality is good)

The soundstage is good.

But the bass is lacking, explosions are not explosive enough (I am not a bass-head tho).

Is it how the headphones will sound? Or am I missing something

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #6,767 of 48,573
That is how they sound. Though your receiver may not have the best internal amp for it.

The Q701 is basically bass neutral, and has the ability to bring out some good bass with EQ or bass boost. The bass by itself isn't strong, though I wouldn't say its completely lacking.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #6,768 of 48,573
Why is the receiver upstream from the Mixamp?  If that's not a typo, you should change it such that the mixamp is connected to the PS3 via toslink and probably USB as well.  From my understanding newer mixamps can also be used for voice chat over USB on the PS3.   

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #6,769 of 48,573
Quote:
Why is the receiver upstream from the Mixamp?  If that's not a typo, you should change it such that the mixamp is connected to the PS3 via toslink and probably USB as well.  From my understanding newer mixamps can also be used for voice chat over USB on the PS3.   

Many receivers allow full 7.1 pass-through from optical/coax. However, looking at the owners manual for that particular one I'm tempted to ask the same, as that receiver doesn't seem to have that functionality.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #6,770 of 48,573
The correct setup really should be PS3>Mixamp>Receiver/amp>Headphones. A receiver that old most likely won't have any kind of optical passthrough and you're probably just playing in DH enhanced Stereo if that really is your chain.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #6,771 of 48,573
Quote:
Why is the receiver upstream from the Mixamp?  If that's not a typo, you should change it such that the mixamp is connected to the PS3 via toslink and probably USB as well.  From my understanding newer mix-amps can also be used for voice chat over USB on the PS3.   

+1, you should be running optical from the PS3 straight into the mix-amp.
Make sure optical is enable in the PS3's setup.
Leave the receiver hooked up to the PS3's RCA outputs.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #6,772 of 48,573
Yeah, if the receiver has no pass through, the Mixamp should come first. If you happen to have the Mixamp 5.8, it comes with an optical passthrough. However, I'd prefer they ditch that, and turn that port into another input. One input is just stupid, especially considering how faulty optical switchers can be. I haven't had one that works well, so I have to manually plug in:

PS2
PS3
TV (for when I'm watching my PC with my headphones in my room).

Yeah, Four freaking devices. I can live with two inputs, as my PS2 and TV aren't used on the Mixamp much.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #6,773 of 48,573
Quote:
Yeah, if the receiver has no pass through, the Mixamp should come first. If you happen to have the Mixamp 5.8, it comes with an optical passthrough. However, I'd prefer they ditch that, and turn that port into another input. One input is just stupid, especially considering how faulty optical switchers can be. I haven't had one that works well, so I have to manually plug in:
PS2
PS3
TV (for when I'm watching my PC with my headphones in my room).
Yeah, Four freaking devices. I can live with two inputs, as my PS2 and TV aren't used on the Mixamp much.

I'm guessing his HK 730 is over 20 years old, so no optical or any digital inputs or outputs.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #6,774 of 48,573
Whoa, so it's mixamp -> Receiver !?
I thought I saw on Mixamp's manual that it was the other way around.

Basically if I have just PS3-> mixamp - > Headphones, I don't get enough power (can't hear voices in microphone at all).

No passthrough on mixamp.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #6,775 of 48,573
Quote:

Basically if I have just PS3-> mixamp - > Headphones, I don't get enough power (can't hear voices in microphone at all).

PS3 optical > Mixamp > Splitter> 3.5mm to RCA > Receiver > headphones.
                                               >Mic

That's how your setup should be. Amps in older receivers are pretty damn powerful so you'll be able to get enough volume for both chat and game audio.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6,776 of 48,573
Quote:
No pass through on mix-amp.

I doubt the mix-amp manual was written with a 20 year old receiver in mind.

"Can't hear voices in microphone at all?"
Microphones do not project audio, you speak into the mic.
You should be using the headphone cups to hear.

Could be the setting with the PS3 are not set correctly for optical output?

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #6,777 of 48,573
Just to be clear, the mic should obviously have its own input on the Y cable, while the Receiver (to headphones) gets the other.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #6,778 of 48,573
Quote:

That set up assumes the receiver has an optical passthrough, you're using yours as an amp so you want to have the receiver downstream to boost the mixamp's signal.  I also don't get what the Y splitter is for.  The mixamp has a mic input right on it, and you set your PS3 to use the mixamp for chat.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #6,779 of 48,573
Dang, I'm thinking of the 5.8 which doesn't have a mic input. Than and possibly the older Mixamp (pre-2010).

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #6,780 of 48,573
Sorry for the double post. Thought I hit edit.

Actually Phos, you're wrong. The other connection is the controller input for the 360. Without that cable that goes from the Mixamp to the 360's controller, you don't get voice chat.

There is no need for two inputs, as the A30/A40 have all come with the mic/audio in one line, with a special connector cable that goes to the Mixamp.

You need a Y cable, unless you have an Astro Headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back