Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,736 of 48,580
And Mad, perhaps you feel strongly enough about velours that you can blaze the trail? You may not be really into DIY, but you aren't satisfied with the stock experience anymore, either.

No way. I'm terrible with my hands. Can't even do a damn oil change.

I'm fine with stock. The only reason I swapped velours on the HE400, is because that is all that is needed, and was praised by various people. Before people swapped velours, I had no desire to get the HE400, due to the pleather.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #6,737 of 48,580
Quote:
MD = Mad Dogs, which is a modded T50RP by the Headfier Mr. Speakers. Apparently it sounds about 90% like the LCD2, but closed, and 1/4 of the price. Too bad it uses pleathers. Very highly regarded.

He's currently experimenting with velours. On his main thread page he's getting donation pads to test and mod to work with to get that same sound on velours. If he can do that, I'm definitely in for one. Wish I had a spare velour set to donate.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #6,739 of 48,580
Quote:
Haha, yeah Massive Attack has a unique sound that is easy to crave every once in a while, like Chinese food or Chipotle. Which brings "Paradise Circus" to mind, I'm a have to go listen to that for the first time on my Q's ^__^
What are the MDs? My mind is stuck thinking Magnetic Drive...
You know, I think the Aleph One port of the Marathon series uses OpenAL in addition to OpenGL. That game should be about as old as the Descent series, but I remember thinking it was so cool reading in the manual that the game supported VR headsets, LOL. After MS bought Bungie and Ambrosia Software stopped developing games, I really did not have much reason to game on my Macs that I also used for artsy-fartsy crap. Crying shame most devs have given in to Microsoft's DirectX.
X-Fi Titanium HD... Not sure I'm $100 PC gaming audio curious, but at least with the games you mention I wouldn't have to upgrade from the NVIDIA GTS 250 graphics card I got for $70.
If I wanted to play BF2142 and Thief Gold or Deadly Shadows, what sound card and downloads would I need? Is there a capable step down from the Titanium HD that would still be equipped with the hardware 3D processing?

I didn't think Aleph One used OpenAL, but I admit that I haven't looked too hard into it or Marathon in general.

The X-Fi Titanium HD is just what I currently use; I also have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude in an older computer, and once had an Auzentech X-Fi Forte (then traded that for the Titanium HD because the other guy needed analog surround outputs and I didn't). Those are generally the more expensive, higher-quality cards.

You could go for a used/refurbished X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) for $50 or less (any more and I'd suggest stepping up to one of the above cards), or if you don't mind the old PCI interface, older full-size X-Fi cards with heatsinks (in other words, cards that are NOT the "fake" XtremeAudio products without the actual X-Fi DSP) for $35 or less, depending on what eBay deals you can find. Those will be good enough to get the gaming features you're looking for. Then install this particular driver package, and you should be good to go. (I don't recall having any issues in Thief with that driver pack when setting up a friend's computer with a PCI X-Fi card.)

Ah, and speaking of VR headsets, I once played Quake with a Forte VFX-1 over a decade ago. I want to get my hands on one of those just to set up an old system dedicated to MechWarrior 2, and pretend it's a neurohelmet. In particular, it has a head-tracking system that a lot of older games have special support for. (Unfortunately, my TrackIR 4 is too recent for all those DOS-era games, and DOSBox doesn't emulate the older head-tracking systems, either.)

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #6,740 of 48,580
Well, not many people had Marathon on their radar in general. I loved Marathon Infinity though. I cut the rest of my post so I could put it on Nameless' thread, don't want to derail things too much!

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #6,741 of 48,580
How do you think the Ultrasone HFI 780 will do with gaming + dolby headphones? I picked up a used pair on ebay for $118 because I needed something portable. I didn't realize how praised they are until after I bought them (I usually do my research but I found these last minute). Any thoughts?

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #6,742 of 48,580
NinjaSushi: I think you may just prefer bassier headphones for gaming. As everyone who's tried an O2 has said (and this corresponds with what I've read everywhere else), the amp is strong and clean--which is as much as one can expect from an amp. 
I'd be cautious about using amps to boost bass. My thinking is that if the headphones were meant to be that bassy, they'd be that bassy; if they were, I wouldn't want to artificially cause the driver to flex so much.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #6,743 of 48,580
Talking with their amp music guy he did point out how the O2 had a very clean sound. No hiss, no distortion, very clean. I did get to hear some M-50 and they sound good for music but I felt they drown out the vocals. It was a steely Dan song.

The guy said the Q701 have great highs but mixed mids.

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #6,745 of 48,580
Quote:
Talking with their amp music guy he did point out how the O2 had a very clean sound. No hiss, no distortion, very clean. I did get to hear some M-50 and they sound good for music but I felt they drown out the vocals. It was a steely Dan song.
The guy said the Q701 have great highs but mixed mids.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost here. What "amp music guy"?
M50's known to have recessed mids. I think that's what you mean? "Drowned out" would mean the lows or highs were so boosted that they overshadowed the vocals, which are in the mids.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #6,746 of 48,580
Sorry, I'm a bit lost here. What "amp music guy"?
M50's known to have recessed mids. I think that's what you mean? "Drowned out" would mean the lows or highs were so boosted that they overshadowed the vocals, which are in the mids.

It was a music store so all his experience was from studio recording, etc. I feel the M50 has drowned mids, he thinks my Q701 have drowned mids. I think the 701 have great mids and highs but that they don't really mix well on certain sound sources. I can distinguish all the difference sounds very well but it makes it sound cold almost. Like a lack of harmony. I still need to experience then more and haven't used them for music much.

Competitive wise they are great fps cans but the 702 might be better with its less bass. Explosions and airplanes with that low rumble on the Q step on those delicate sounds like footsteps.

I'd say their great headphones for entry level if you can afford it. That being said if I had the money I'd use the O2 amp's Nazi strict almost OCD feeling on the K702. For competitive uses as Mad pointed I imagine it would be great. No hissing at high volumes, no cracks or pops, drives highs well and excels at those soft, quiet sounds.

Then I'd get a pair of closed backs with more bass for a movie and single player experience. Something with more immersion. I'm not sure if this is right but I'd say DT990 pro and M-Stage? Either way something that drowns away everything else and leaves you with only you and the experience.

Any suggestions, comments, etc?

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #6,747 of 48,580
The DT990 Pro is open. Though that bass isn't open like.

I don't know how you can possible think the Q701 is mid recessed. It's slightly forward from balanced. You just may not be used to it's huge soundstage which doesn't place sounds directly in front of you. That is one complaint people have with the AKGs.The soundstage to some people sounds unnatural, making pretty much everything sound further than it is. I don't agree with this, but we all hear different.

The M50s are mid recessed by nature. As for the M50s, to me the mids recession is slight in the overall scheme of things. Certainly a lot less recessed than some bass/treble heavy headphones that cost twice as much.

If bass and treble is boosted on ANY headphone, mids are automatically going to be recessed. There is no objection. Some headphones pull it off better than others, but it doesn't change the fact that two boosted frequencies will always make another area recessed.

Boosted bass and mids = recessed/smooth/veiled treble

Boosted mids and highs = bass light

Boosted lows and highs = mid recessed

That is an absolute law in headphones.

If one frequency is boosted and the others are on the same level, it's usually considered quality. The Monster Turbines have boosted bass, but balanced mids and highs (documented, and I fully agree having spent the day with them). It's a pretty good sound signature. The HD598 is boosted in the mids, but balanced in the bass and treble. The HD598 is the best alternative I've heard from the Q701, if you want more mids.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #6,748 of 48,580
The DT990 Pro is open. Though that bass isn't open like.
I don't know how you can possible think the Q701 is mid recessed. It's slightly forward from balanced. You just may not be used to it's huge soundstage which doesn't place sounds directly in front of you. That is one complaint people have with the AKGs.The soundstage to some people sounds unnatural, making pretty much everything sound further than it is. I don't agree with this, but we all hear different.
The M50s are mid recessed by nature. As for the M50s, to me the mids recession is slight in the overall scheme of things. Certainly a lot less recessed than some bass/treble heavy headphones that cost twice as much.
If bass and treble is boosted on ANY headphone, mids are automatically going to be recessed. There is no objection. Some headphones pull it off better than others, but it doesn't change the fact that two boosted frequencies will always make another area recessed.
Boosted bass and mids = recessed/smooth/veiled treble
Boosted mids and highs = bass light
Boosted lows and highs = mid recessed
That is an absolute law in headphones.
If one frequency is boosted and the others are on the same level, it's usually considered quality. The Monster Turbines have boosted bass, but balanced mids and highs (documented, and I fully agree having spent the day with them). It's a pretty good sound signature. The HD598 is boosted in the mids, but balanced in the bass and treble. The HD598 is the best alternative I've heard from the Q701, if you want more mids.

Lol. You miss understand me. I think the mids and highs are great, the music store "guru" said he felt the Q701 had muffled mids. Who knows. I like the O2 Q701 for fps but I also want a warmer/fuller sounding headphone for movies and single player games. I want another headphone - pre-amp combo that has more bass, closed headphones, and a richer, full sound.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6,749 of 48,580
Just an update on my hm5's. Highly recomend them to ppl wanting closed gaming cans. The headband isnt extremely comfortable but i had a pad from my old hd280s that i wrapped around it now its super cushy. They do need to be stretched as well. I have dvd/cd holder speaker stands that i put them on every night. With that theyre very comfy and the sound blows the pc350's away in every area from detail, clarity, positioning and also has better bass. Im very happy

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #6,750 of 48,580
Quote:
Just an update on my hm5's. Highly recomend them to ppl wanting closed gaming cans. The headband isnt extremely comfortable but i had a pad from my old hd280s that i wrapped around it now its super cushy. They do need to be stretched as well. I have dvd/cd holder speaker stands that i put them on every night. With that theyre very comfy and the sound blows the pc350's away in every area from detail, clarity, positioning and also has better bass. Im very happy

I agree with you on the HM5s. The only hard part I am dealing with is the bass itself. Coming from DT990pro it is certainly a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back