Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 2, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #5,011 of 48,576
Any way to use a DAC with the Mixamp, when using it with the PS3 in case the Mixamp DAC doesn't sound to my liking? Or do I have the logistics wrong?

Also, does placing a headphone amp in front of a Mixamp, such as a tube amp, affect the simulated surround effect? I'd like to use an amp, in case the Mixamp isn't powerful enough.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #5,014 of 48,576
Any way to use a DAC with the Mixamp, when using it with the PS3 in case the Mixamp DAC doesn't sound to my liking? Or do I have the logistics wrong?

Also, does placing a headphone amp in front of a Mixamp, such as a tube amp, affect the simulated surround effect? I'd like to use an amp, in case the Mixamp isn't powerful enough.

The mixamp takes a digital 5.1 source and outputs two channel analog, so you can't use another DAC with it. You can put another amp downstream from the mixamp to boost it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5,016 of 48,576
^Why a tube? Tubes are usually chosen because people prefer distortion--in this case, even distortion in the form of even order harmonics (though that's not always the case, it just usually is). 
What headphone are you trying to pair with the MixAmp? Why do you believe you need an extra amp?

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #5,017 of 48,576
Thanks for the responses. Would an amp (I'm considering maybe even a tube amp) affect the simulated surround in any way? Amps tend to distort sound in some way...

No. Once the Mixamp processes the virtual surround, everything after it will keep it. Attaching another amp will affect the sound the same way an amp affects ANY signal going through it. If your amp is neutral, it won't change the sound, etc. Don't worry too much about attaching another amp to it. Unless the amp you attach is noisy, decent amps won't cause any audible distortions.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #5,018 of 48,576

Quote:
They certainly don't sound any worse either. There isn't a soundstage reduction in the slightest.

It's not worth spending double the cost of AD700 for AD900 for FPS gaming

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #5,019 of 48,576
My Mixamp is a bit lonely as of late. Since I've been spending most of my time playing Tales of Graces F (which doesn't do any form of surround), I've just been playing the sound off my Soundbar. My Q701 and D7000 are collecting dust. Sad that I use my KSC35 about 20x more than the other two cans combined.

:frowning2:

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #5,021 of 48,576

Quote:
My Mixamp is a bit lonely as of late. Since I've been spending most of my time playing Tales of Graces F (which doesn't do any form of surround), I've just been playing the sound off my Soundbar. My Q701 and D7000 are collecting dust. Sad that I use my KSC35 about 20x more than the other two cans combined.
frown.gif

omg Tales!! Didnt realise they've finished and released it already. It doesn't use 5.1 does it?
Can't wait for the european version.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #5,023 of 48,576
Quote:
Anyone tried the AD1000? Accessory Jack have it for £200 which is kind of tempting

I have one incoming.  I'm probably just going to use the frame for some ortho drivers and sell the original AT drivers.  They'd probably make a nice upgrade for someone's AD700.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,024 of 48,576
:p
I have one incoming.  I'm probably just going to use the frame for some ortho drivers and sell the original AT drivers.  They'd probably make a nice upgrade for someone's AD700.

Would that someone be me??

Unfortunately I just purchased three drivers from audio technica..

The price I paid for all three drivers Boggles my mind in comparison to the price of the entire headsets complete!!..

1- ad700 driver
And
2- ad900 drivers

Very inexpensive!!

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,025 of 48,576

Quote:
It's not worth spending double the cost of AD700 for AD900 for FPS gaming

Different budget notions for different people. While for you the sound quality differences might not be worth the price increase from the AD700, for others it might be quite a bit. Different strokes include budgets :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back