Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 31, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #4,997 of 48,568

Quote:
Grr...I cannot get these Q701's stretched for anything! They hurt. :/

You're not just saying that to make me paranoid about the headphones are you?  I got a pretty huge head which finding a measuring tape around (unfortunately the construction type the ones that aren't flimsy) measuring to the best of my ability I got 25", instructions state that it's best to do it right above your ears..

Who here who found the Q701 uncomfy what was the circumference of your head?  Anyone who found it comfy, what was yours?

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #4,998 of 48,568

Suggestions?  This thread has gotten way too long for me to follow in a while.

Astro Mixamp
Samson SR850 (Do NOT suggest AD700s... please)
Zalman Zm-Mic1

I'm on a budget here :frowning2: (Budget... on Head-Fi... Oxymoronic I know)

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #4,999 of 48,568

Not sure about the mic as I have the ModMic. But you will be fine with the amp/850 combo. I have the HD668B and I still reach for them at work all the time and still adore them.
Quote:

Astro Mixamp
Zalman Zm-Mic1

I'm on a budget here :frowning2: (Budget... on Head-Fi... Oxymoronic I know)

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #5,000 of 48,568

Quote:
Not sure about the mic as I have the ModMic. But you will be fine with the amp/850 combo. I have the HD668B and I still reach for them at work all the time and still adore them.

Yea, i was looking at the modmic but don't think it being attachable/a boom warranted the price difference.  I'll probably spring for a standing mic eventually anyway, one less wire to wear.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #5,001 of 48,568

Quote:

Astro Mixamp
Zalman Zm-Mic1

The Zalman sucks IMO.  Very weak sensitivity for picking up voices.  The Modmic is very sensitive and then there is the deal extreme clip on too.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #5,002 of 48,568
I'm looking for opinions on the use of Grado 125i's, or Alessandros, for simulated surround. Would this work?

I am also wondering if planar-magnetic type headphones would work for surround.

Lastly, I've been told the low end Grados lack soundstage. I cannot tell if this is a relative statement. Do they lack soundstage relative to open headphones, or would they, for example, have LESS soundstage than even dynamic headphones such as the Creative Aurvana Live! ?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5,003 of 48,568

Quote:
I'm looking for opinions on the use of Grado 125i's, or Alessandros, for simulated surround. Would this work?

I am also wondering if planar-magnetic type headphones would work for surround.

Lastly, I've been told the low end Grados lack soundstage. I cannot tell if this is a relative statement. Do they lack soundstage relative to open headphones, or would they, for example, have LESS soundstage than even dynamic headphones such as the Creative Aurvana Live! ?

Thanks in advance.

I'd be curious to see how Grados could be used for gaming as well. While they lack soundstage (in general I believe, not just for open headphones), they're supposed to have excellent imaging. I'd imagine this could be quite useful for gaming. You won't get that realistic depth from them though, which may put most people off from gaming with them.

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #5,004 of 48,568

Quote:

I'd be curious to see how Grados could be used for gaming as well. While they lack soundstage (in general I believe, not just for open headphones), they're supposed to have excellent imaging. I'd imagine this could be quite useful for gaming. You won't get that realistic depth from them though, which may put most people off from gaming with them.

All one really needs, well all I would really need to is to know which direction the enemy is. I can't personally judge distance very well, even in real life. As long as I know which direction and what surface he is walking on (I.e a metal grill, grass etc..) then I know exactly where he is. And then of course, visually looking always helps 
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #5,005 of 48,568
Soundstage is important to me. When a soundstage is too restricted, it can be hard to tell whether a sound is in front or behind you in a pinch, which is why I could never recommend something like IEMs or M50s for gaming. In a relaxed setting these headphones would work ok, but not when you rely on positional cues like FPS games. You need some 'distance in the sound, IMHO.

I would think Grados would be TERRIBLE for gaming, considering what I've heard about soundstage.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #5,006 of 48,568
Comparison question again??

Which headset is best for audio positioning cues for fps gaming..

The ad700 or ad900?

I have the ad700 but just last night one driver quit on me.. I May look to go for ad900 or just buy 1 replacement driver for ad700.

What do you guys suggest ??

Oh i also have an he 500 on it's way to me but i'm going to need more than a mixamp to drive that HE500

Apr 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5,007 of 48,568

Quote:
The ad700 or ad900?
I have the ad700 but just last night one driver quit on me.. I May look to go for ad900 or just buy 1 replacement driver for ad700.
Oh i also have an he 500 on it's way to me but i'm going to need more than a mixamp to drive that HE500

The AD900 is basically an improved AD700 in all fronts. So, if you enjoy the AD700 sound, you're bound to enjoy the AD900 even more.

And yes, for the HE-500 you will want real hardware to power them.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #5,008 of 48,568

Quote:
The ad700 or ad900?

I would just get a replacment driver.  The AD900 isn't any better for fps gaming IMO.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #5,009 of 48,568
Yeah, I heard the AD900 has a smaller soundstage and positional cues are worse. The overall SQ is better, but not where it counts. I'd get the Q701 over the AD900 for the same purposes. Though they are opposites in terms of how they fit. The Q701 can be a bit tight on bigger heads, whereas the Audio Technicas are made for watermelon heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back