Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 30, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #4,981 of 48,562

Quote:
Hmm. That's kinda what I figured. I personally thought BC2 was leaps better with positioning.

Oh god, if you think BF:BC2 had better positional audio than BF3, and I thought BF:BC2's positional audio mixing was utter crap, then I don't hold much hope for BF3.

I wish DICE would go back to OpenAL like Battlefield 2 and 2142, though I don't know how well that would work out on consoles.

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #4,982 of 48,562
Okay. FINALLY Got my AKG Q701s after much discourse and lost mail stubs and a bunch of crap. Took 3 weeks, but finally got them, plugged them into my Xonar STX and turned on some music and it sounds absolutely fantastic (although very quiet and hard to drive - forgot I had my previous volume on at max and turned these on without getting any bloody ears - thankfully!) Headband design sucks and it feels like I'm going to get a lump on my head from where that damn bump thing in the headband is pushing down on. I'm sure it can be modded so I'll figure that out.

I'm just wondering how I should set up Xonar now. 6 speaker or 8 speaker setup? 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter on or off? PCM or Dolby Digital Live on or off? What DSP mode should I use to easily configure it. I know there is a gaming mode, but I think I saw someone say it performs better on cinema mode. I'll do some quick tests, but if someone can help me sort it out that'd be great.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #4,983 of 48,562
Why don't you guys test the gaming audio in CSS, we should so have a Head-fi css server 
o2smile.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #4,984 of 48,562

Quote:
Okay. FINALLY Got my AKG Q701s after much discourse and lost mail stubs and a bunch of crap. Took 3 weeks, but finally got them, plugged them into my Xonar STX and turned on some music and it sounds absolutely fantastic (although very quiet and hard to drive - forgot I had my previous volume on at max and turned these on without getting any bloody ears - thankfully!) Headband design sucks and it feels like I'm going to get a lump on my head from where that damn bump thing in the headband is pushing down on. I'm sure it can be modded so I'll figure that out.

I'm just wondering how I should set up Xonar now. 6 speaker or 8 speaker setup? 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter on or off? PCM or Dolby Digital Live on or off? What DSP mode should I use to easily configure it. I know there is a gaming mode, but I think I saw someone say it performs better on cinema mode. I'll do some quick tests, but if someone can help me sort it out that'd be great.

Thanks!

How big is your head?   Would that have anything to do with it?  I'm expecting this headphone in another two weeks.  So looking forward to them.

I would recommend NamessPFG about PC audio setup, but he specializes in Creative soundcards.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #4,985 of 48,562
The general rule of thumb is that the Windows speaker setting must be at 5.1 or 7.1 for software-mixed audio to even provide you the rear directional cues in the first place. What I don't know is if Xonar cards automatically set that when turning on Dolby Headphone.

PCM and Dolby Digital Live are undoubtedly referring to the S/PDIF output. Just leave those off if you're running your Q701s straight out of the sound card like I'd expect.

I can't really help you with DSP modes, except that you might need GX mode if you're playing games that use DirectSound3D or OpenAL.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4,987 of 48,562

Quote:

Oh god, if you think BF:BC2 had better positional audio than BF3, and I thought BF:BC2's positional audio mixing was utter crap, then I don't hold much hope for BF3.

I wish DICE would go back to OpenAL like Battlefield 2 and 2142, though I don't know how well that would work out on consoles.

OpenAL would work amazingly well for consoles as OpenAL is multiplatform and not really hard to develop in. The issue is that game developers are lazy when it comes to audio and still consider it an afterthought, prefering to use far inferior audio libraries.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4,988 of 48,562
This might be asking for too much but is there a headphone like the DT990's (theather like bass with lots of impact when called for and big sounstage) that is also suitable for music i.e mids are not recessed? The FA-011's would probably come to mind going by reviews, but I have a feeling the bass is over exaggerated on those. I have the HTF600's and I find them kinda boring for immersive gameplay. Bass impact is weak and the lack of quantity makes the rest of the sound is kinda hollow, especially with DH. For music it's great though.

I've already got the x41's, and with the bass boost on they give enough bass but I'm getting tired of the closed sound and the constant hissing. Would something like the AD900's be sufficient with a fiio e11 bass boost?

If IMPACT is what you want, the DT990 PROS have the most bass I've heard, with the least amount of mid recession. Seriously, those things hit like thunder. Apparently, the Ultrasone Pro 900 would be the more expensive can that people seem to really like for bass, in which it doesn't recess the mids in ways other bass heavy cans do.

Those are for bass IMPACT. I myself am not a fan of strong bass impact, but rather prefer strong sub bass, which is the ambient, omnipresent bass that fills up a room, and not hits you upside the head (impact). Denons, DT770 Pro 80, XB700 are all strong in the sub bass section, not so much in the mid bass.

When you say theater like bass, I make that connection with sub bass, not mid bass, so I'm not entirely sure what you want.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #4,989 of 48,562

Quote:
Sound quality wise not including features which mixamp is better the wireless or the wired pro???

Well, the wired mixamp has a lower noise floor (less hiss).  But that won't really be an issue unless your using sensitive headphones.  Apart from that they're about the same.

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #4,990 of 48,562
Well, the wired mixamp has a lower noise floor (less hiss).  But that won't really be an issue unless your using sensitive headphones.  Apart from that they're about the same.

This. Honestly, they're 99.9% the same. Difference in noise floor, which is a non-issue when you're actually playing. Just buy the one that you need more. Wireless is (duh) wireless, the Pro has more inputs.

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4,991 of 48,562

Quote:
If IMPACT is what you want, the DT990 PROS have the most bass I've heard, with the least amount of mid recession. Seriously, those things hit like thunder. Apparently, the Ultrasone Pro 900 would be the more expensive can that people seem to really like for bass, in which it doesn't recess the mids in ways other bass heavy cans do.
Those are for bass IMPACT. I myself am not a fan of strong bass impact, but rather prefer strong sub bass, which is the ambient, omnipresent bass that fills up a room, and not hits you upside the head (impact). Denons, DT770 Pro 80, XB700 are all strong in the sub bass section, not so much in the mid bass.
When you say theater like bass, I make that connection with sub bass, not mid bass, so I'm not entirely sure what you want.

Hmm, I don't think I'm entirely sure. I have a hard time recognizing which sounds go to which frequencies. Basically I'm looking for something that gives the ambient mood that a theater would give but with an open back headphone as it would more accurately replicate that airy feeling of being in a jungle surrounded by noises of animals for example. It should be able to pull off the soundtracks of those epic boss fight moments. I think the bass you described might be what I was subconsciously alluding to. 

Which open backs would be good for that if any?

Mar 30, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #4,992 of 48,562

Quote:

Hmm, I don't think I'm entirely sure. I have a hard time recognizing which sounds go to which frequencies. Basically I'm looking for something that gives the ambient mood that a theater would give but with an open back headphone as it would more accurately replicate that airy feeling of being in a jungle surrounded by noises of animals for example. It should be able to pull off the soundtracks of those epic boss fight moments. I think the bass you described might be what I was subconsciously alluding to. 

Which open backs would be good for that if any?

You should consider the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, or if you're able to stretch your budget further, then the Ultrasone Pro 2900 becomes a very valid option. In general, Ultrasone headphones handle bass quite well, in both quantity and quality, but you might not find the Pro 900 airy enough for your tastes, while the Pro 2900 makes up for that.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #4,993 of 48,562

Quote:

You should consider the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, or if you're able to stretch your budget further, then the Ultrasone Pro 2900 becomes a very valid option. In general, Ultrasone headphones handle bass quite well, in both quantity and quality, but you might not find the Pro 900 airy enough for your tastes, while the Pro 2900 makes up for that.

Ultrasones are quite a bit over my budget. It seems like I'm hitting a dead end with this search. I'm really surprised more companies have not made a bassy open-back. I mean it seems like an obvious thing that I'm sure that a lot of people would enjoy. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #4,994 of 48,562

Quote:
Ultrasones are quite a bit over my budget. It seems like I'm hitting a dead end with this search. I'm really surprised more companies have not made a bassy open-back. I mean it seems like an obvious thing that I'm sure that a lot of people would enjoy. 

Look into the Ultrasone HFI-2400, they're far more affordable and still retain some of the sonic characteristics of its sibling.

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #4,995 of 48,562

Quote:
Look into the Ultrasone HFI-2400, they're far more affordable and still retain some of the sonic characteristics of its sibling.

Those look very tempting. Theres an audio shop nearby so I'll try them The philips fidelio L1 will be in stock soon as well in the UK. Has anybody tried them with immersive gaming? I've given up on listening for footsteps on MW3. My friend mentioned it today, and I've noticed it for a while, there are times when someone shoots you and it sounds like the bullets are coming from the opposite direction that they are actually moving. Same with footsteps which are a total mess. Although that said I might need a headphone for BLOPS 2 if they sort out the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back