Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #4,741 of 48,578
I want a portable 1080p screen. Like a laptop, but with an HDMI input.

GAEMS sells this:

http://www.amazon.com/G155-Gaming-Entertainment-Mobile-included-Playstation-3/dp/B004XGN8W4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331845316&sr=8-1

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJcyNXkTbrk[/VIDEO]

I don't need all that bulk, and it's a 720p screen (probably not a good one, compared to what I'm used to).

Seriously, I just need like a good laptop screen with an HDMI in. Clamshell and all.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4,743 of 48,578
Guarantee you it's an HDMI out. HDMi outs are found in mostly all portable screens. I need an INPUT, to hook up my game systems. Also, 1080p.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4,744 of 48,578

Quote:
Nameless, I downloaded the CoD4 tests, and none of them sounded remotely like virtual surround to me. Can you tell me any of those videos that really highlights positional cues, because CoD4's campaign intro sure as hell doesn't.
That Xonar DH demo sounded nothing like how DH sounds on the Mixamp.
edit: the Bioshock tests also sounded like stereo to me.

edit: the Dead Space demo on that link has a door opening and shutting while he is rotating. On two tests, they sounded like stereo. I DEFINITELY know the difference between stereo and processed virtual surround. Those are as stereo as it gets. You can clearly hear the door's sound jumping from the right driver to the left driver, which is a typical stereo problem. Real DH would have been seamless. ONLY the Xonar DH one sounds like the Mixamp.
So I have to say, those tests aren't pre-mixed.

Strange...they sure sound pre-mixed with the respective technologies to me. Especially the UT3 videos, though the DH one sounds oddly dull compared to the CMSS-3D one, exactly the opposite of the Crysis 2 video. Of course, I haven't seen them all, and many of the videos recorded may not have been the best examples.

As for the Crysis 2 video, I cannot confirm or deny that it's what CMSS-3D Headphone sounds like in it since I don't own Crysis 2 itself. (If that was Crysis 1 or Warhead, on the other hand, I'd be in a better position to chime in.)

At this rate, I'll have to record my own videos with the help of my SU-DH1. To make sure that the SU-DH1's analog circuitry isn't skewing things, I'm going to have to use it as a DAC for all tests: stereo, CMSS-3D Headphone (pre-processed by the X-Fi Titanium HD), and Dolby Headphone (via Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect from the X-Fi Titanium HD and the SU-DH1 doing the DH processing). As a bonus, this should be more consistent than all the other recordings with Xonar cards being used for DH.

Now, to decide what games to use for this...Thief Gold (DirectSound3D), Unreal Tournament (OpenAL with Old Unreal patch), Battlefield: Vietnam (DirectSound3D), Battlefield 2 (OpenAL), Crysis Warhead (XAudio2), and Just Cause 2 (XAudio2) are likely choices on my end. It would be much easier if I could record timedemos for everything...oh, and while it's not a game, the RightMark 3DSound positioning test (DirectSound3D) is always useful.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4,745 of 48,578
Seriously? Other than the Xonar DH downloads, they may as well all have been stereo to me, because that's what they sounded like. Very linear. The DH tests sounded really atmospheric.

As for the Crysis 2 vid, the Dolby Headphone sounded pretty echoey and very processed, but the positional cues were spot on (i'm guessing it was Dolby Headphone Room 3). CMSS 3D sounded thin, treble heavy, and didn't portray rear positional cues well to me.

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4,746 of 48,578
One thing seems to be for certain, at least around these circles; the virtual surround processing (whether it be CMSS-3D or DH) is "better" than multi-driver headphones.

As for console gaming, does ANYONE know an alternative to Dolby Headphone besides multi-driver headphones? Such as CMSS-3D, THX, TruSurround, etc..? Just wondering what other virtual options there are for consoles. Both MixAmp and the SU-DH1 amp options are DH. I'd like to try CMSS-3D for consoles.

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4,747 of 48,578

Quote:
http://www.modmic.com/

Basically a cool mic that turns any headphone into a headset.

Wow! That's exactly what I've been looking for! Let us know how it sounds...especially if it's super sensitive like that Zalman mic that picks up EVERYTHING or if it's more directional w/ some noise cancelling.

Quote:
its go big or go home right?  going to try the q701s!

You're really going to enjoy these. I watched a little of the new Star Trek (2009) flic yesterday to compare w/ the 580's and the larger soundstage definitely won me over for movies too. I now prefer them for movies, music, and games, lol.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4,748 of 48,578
CMSS-3D Headphone as I know it only applies to PC gaming.

As for that THX TruStudio Pro suite of features that the newer Creative products bear...I never use it on my X-Fi Titanium HD because it's tied to Entertainment Mode and not Game Mode, but the Recon3D USB uses it, and it also accepts S/PDIF input and Dolby Digital for console gaming. I have no idea how well it works, though. Honestly, for console gaming, it's much easier to just stick to the Mixamp unless you really need the discontinued SU-DH1's DTS decoding support.

I just did some Battlefield 2 and RightMark 3DSound testing. It seems that Dolby Headphone distorts the sound less, but CMSS-3D Headphone still has the advantage where positioning is concerned, especially when it has the 3D sound information to present a binaural sound image and not a virtual 7.1 one. (Yes, I can distinguish the rear sound cues just fine. There's also the height cues that DH totally lacks only because it's presenting virtual 7.1.) This is without messing around with the EQ to try and undo the offset in tonal balance.

If only we didn't have to make tradeoffs like this...I'd like to experiment more with Rapture3D's binaural HRTF implementation, but it only works with OpenAL titles and it costs money to use it with games that it's not just outright bundled with (like DiRT 2). Were there a way to use it with DirectSound3D and software-processed audio titles too, the paid versions would be more enticing.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #4,749 of 48,578

Quote:
One thing seems to be for certain, at least around these circles; the virtual surround processing (whether it be CMSS-3D or DH) is "better" than multi-driver headphones.

As for console gaming, does ANYONE know an alternative to Dolby Headphone besides multi-driver headphones? Such as CMSS-3D, THX, TruSurround, etc..? Just wondering what other virtual options there are for consoles. Both MixAmp and the SU-DH1 amp options are DH. I'd like to try CMSS-3D for consoles.

Thanks.

Creative's Recon3D has THX's surround thing. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4,750 of 48,578

Quote:
Seriously, I just need like a good laptop screen with an HDMI in. Clamshell and all.

I wish laptops had HDMI inputs.  I would pay an extra $100 if my laptop had both HDMI out and IN.  The screen would need it's own firmware or whatever, but I think it could be done.  Unless I'm missing something?...

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4,751 of 48,578

Quote:
I wish laptops had HDMI inputs.  I would pay an extra $100 if my laptop had both HDMI out and IN.  The screen would need it's own firmware or whatever, but I think it could be done.  Unless I'm missing something?...

At least one such laptop exists: the Alienware M18x.

Sorry about your wallet, though...they don't come cheap, as expected of a laptop of its size and specifications.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4,752 of 48,578

Quote:

At least one such laptop exists: the Alienware M18x.

Sorry about your wallet, though...they don't come cheap, as expected of a laptop of its size and specifications.

There are other laptops with that feature, but instead of costing 100$ more, they cost 1000$ more :S

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #4,753 of 48,578
Quote:
I found the PERFECT video to demo Dolby headphone. EVERYONE can hear this, so try it!
NOTE: At 1:08, this is pretty much exactly how Dolby headphone sounds on the Mixamp:The 5.1 DH: On section at 0:54 sounds like a weaker version, which honestly doesn't sound like the Mixamp's DH, but it still showcases positional cues.
Now, if you didn't believe in DH before, you probably will now. Remember: At 1:08-2:00 is pretty much how the Mixamp sounds.
Nameless, does this video showcase how CMSS 3D sounds for real? Because even in this comparison, the Dolby Headphone sounds a lot better in positional cues. CMSS seems so treble oriented, and DH sounds more spacious, and actually has rear sound cues.

No wonder you console guys are so touchy about bass, about 30 seconds of that first vid on my 770-pros and I had a massive headache. I don't have that problem at all with CMSS. If I were guessing I'd say CMSS sounds more normal on my headphones while the DH tests had me reaching for the EQ on my E17. Having played some of Crysis 2 with CMSS before the video gives a rough idea of what it's like (especially the vertical cues, again, with my headphones) but hearing it from source definitely sounds wider and clearer. You're making me want to redownload on Steam and make a real video that's not been through a few stages of processing.

I wonder if you tested with one pair of bass heavy headphones and bass light headphones if that would change your opinion... Certainly something to think about.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #4,754 of 48,578

Quote:
There are other laptops with that feature, but instead of costing 100$ more, they cost 1000$ more :S

Sure would be nice if they made an ExpressCard or USB 3.0 HDMI capture device, wouldn't it?

...Oh, wait a minute. There's already the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle, but it costs $200. Ouch. At least it captures component, S-Video, and composite too.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,755 of 48,578

Quote:

Sure would be nice if they made an ExpressCard or USB 3.0 HDMI capture device, wouldn't it?

...Oh, wait a minute. There's already the Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle, but it costs $200. Ouch. At least it captures component, S-Video, and composite too.

True. It's the integrated parts that increase the costs. And high quality external solutions are often expensive. Still, there aren't that many laptop screens that are high quality enough to warrant going through all that, except if the user only wants to use a single screen, which in this case would be the laptop's screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back