Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,726 of 48,578
While you're at it, check out these videos recorded with CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone. They'll give you a good idea of what to expect.

Since the Presonus Central Station is also a DAC, I'd suggest picking up an X-Fi Titanium used or refurbished on the cheap. (Unfortunately, Newegg went up to $75 from $45, so I can't recommend them right now.) Then connect it via S/PDIF, and you'll be using the Presonus Central Station as DAC and amp while the sound card serves as a cheap DSP for binaural surround processing (and EAX, if any of your games use it).

Oh, and avoid the XtremeAudio cards at all costs!

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #4,727 of 48,578
Not home right now. Nameless, I can just listen to them as is? I wanna hear CMSS.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #4,728 of 48,578

Quote:

Got my modmic in the mail yesterday.

What's a modmic?

Quote:
Are the q701 that good that I should try them based on reviews? Again primary purpose is FPS games and movies.

I did and I'm very happy with them. The soundstage's much wider than the 770's and it really helps to pinpoint where shots are coming from in Battlefield 3. Skip the 770's unless you need a cheaper closed pair. I don't know about the 880's. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabinzero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With the Q701's I get pure accuracy and sound wh*ring in FPS is a freakin beast!  I run SitRep Pro in MW3 and I'm pretty sure people think I'm cheating.  Lol.

They definitely sound much closer to my Rokit's than the HD580's. Even w/ the addition of a tube amp, the Sennheiser's lack clarity to my ears. Battlefield 3's more fun too. :D

What's SitRep Pro?

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #4,730 of 48,578
Alright after reading the thread I have chosen 2 gaming headsets and need some assistance before purchasing one.

1. Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME
2. Sennheiser HD 598

I can't decide which to get at the moment. I do everything with my PC from gaming to music & movies. Not having the mic with the HD 598 is a pain but I could purchase a blue mic/clip on. I don't have a decent sound card at the moment.

Choices right now:
Steelseries USB
http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-7h-usb

Internal speaker
Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection 
- DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC 
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

Regarding PC sound cards unsure but which would work better for Gaming, Music & Movies. Choices are Asus & Creative. I'm leaning towards Asus Xonar STX Essence. Some say the ST is newer but is running on PCI. Also they say Creative cards are better for gaming as it supports EAX or something of that sort.

Thanks for your assistance. So I may find peace with my favorite
beyersmile.png

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #4,732 of 48,578

Quote:
Alright after reading the thread I have chosen 2 gaming headsets and need some assistance before purchasing one.

1. Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME
2. Sennheiser HD 598

Regarding PC sound cards unsure but which would work better for Gaming, Music & Movies. Choices are Asus & Creative. I'm leaning towards Asus Xonar STX Essence. Some say the ST is newer but is running on PCI. Also they say Creative cards are better for gaming as it supports EAX or something of that sort.

Thanks for your assistance. So I may find peace with my favorite
beyersmile.png

HD598 + Modmic + STX = Win

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #4,733 of 48,578
So lately, looks like I'm subconsciously reaching for the Q701 quite a few times over the D7000. Just that comfort of open design + velours... two things that the Denons lack.

God bless velour pads. I really need to find some velour 'skin' for my D7000 pads... :rolleyes:

Even laying down, despite both of them having ridiculously large cups, I can use the Q701s without any comfort issues. The same can't be said about the D7000, which is impossible to lay down comfortably with without breaking the seal.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #4,734 of 48,578

By the way, the V-Moda LP2 are fantastic with gaming.

And I got a new headset that I'd like to recommend:
Plantronics GameCon 780. It's a simulated 7.1 - Has a crappy mic, IMO, but it's clear. I just don't think it's... hollowish.

And oh my god the comfort. I think these are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. Seriously.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #4,735 of 48,578
So lately, looks like I'm subconsciously reaching for the Q701 quite a few times over the D7000. Just that comfort of open design + velours... two things that the Denons lack.
God bless velour pads. I really need to find some velour 'skin' for my D7000 pads... :rolleyes:
Even laying down, despite both of them having ridiculously large cups, I can use the Q701s without any comfort issues. The same can't be said about the D7000, which is impossible to lay down comfortably with without breaking the seal.

Beyer pads might be worth a shot. Not sure if you'd want the 770 or 880 pads, though. On the other hand, my A900's don't give me sweat problems ever since I swapped the pads for the sheepskin leather pads so you could try the Lawton audio pads.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #4,736 of 48,578

Quote:
Not home right now. Nameless, I can just listen to them as is? I wanna hear CMSS.

Yes, those videos are pre-processed already, so they should be listened to with plain stereo settings. Don't want to double-process the audio, after all.

Just keep in mind that they're all PC version recordings and may not reflect what you hear in any respective console versions.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4,737 of 48,578
I'll take a listen soon.

So, my 6.3 too 3.5mm Grado adapter came in today. Now I plug both the D7000/Q701 to my Mixamp without having to constantly attach/detach their own plugs...

Nameless, I downloaded the CoD4 tests, and none of them sounded remotely like virtual surround to me. Can you tell me any of those videos that really highlights positional cues, because CoD4's campaign intro sure as hell doesn't.

That Xonar DH demo sounded nothing like how DH sounds on the Mixamp.

edit: the Bioshock tests also sounded like stereo to me.

edit: the Dead Space demo on that link has a door opening and shutting while he is rotating. On two tests, they sounded like stereo. I DEFINITELY know the difference between stereo and processed virtual surround. Those are as stereo as it gets. You can clearly hear the door's sound jumping from the right driver to the left driver, which is a typical stereo problem. Real DH would have been seamless. ONLY the Xonar DH one sounds like the Mixamp.

So I have to say, those tests aren't pre-mixed.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4,738 of 48,578
I found the PERFECT video to demo Dolby headphone. EVERYONE can hear this, so try it!

NOTE: At 1:08, this is pretty much exactly how Dolby headphone sounds on the Mixamp:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdgMQC2rYM[/VIDEO]

The 5.1 DH: On section at 0:54 sounds like a weaker version, which honestly doesn't sound like the Mixamp's DH, but it still showcases positional cues.

Now, if you didn't believe in DH before, you probably will now. Remember: At 1:08-2:00 is pretty much how the Mixamp sounds.

Nameless, does this video showcase how CMSS 3D sounds for real? Because even in this comparison, the Dolby Headphone sounds a lot better in positional cues. CMSS seems so treble oriented, and DH sounds more spacious, and actually has rear sound cues.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ApNLMmeAs[/VIDEO]

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4,740 of 48,578
that's a good game to show you what can be done with sound.. thanks..i play my crysis 2 with dolby home theatre version 3 with a surround sound headset and it sounds glorious..i can't wait for the phoebus to come out and the new super oled screens and ivy bridge and asus 7990s so i can eventually do my new build..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back