Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #38,776 of 48,562
I think the Game One is an ok offering, but personally for the price I feel there are better options out there. Sennheiser's new Massdrop collaboration, the PC37X was more enjoyable for me when it came to gaming. I don't know what that would run you in the UK with international shipping, VAT and all that.

I use the SHP9500 + BoomPro combo for my PS4 and Mixamp. That's a solid budget offering IMO. I'm debating swapping the pads sometime for a bit more comfort, but as stock I still like the set for games.

How much does the Sennheiser HD 599 cost across the pond? I prefer the HD 599 to the HD 598, but the HD 598 is probably easier on the budget.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #38,777 of 48,562
  Thanks for the suggestions - X2s are a little over budget here in the UK (about £215 on Amazon I think).  Plus I think they may be a tad heavier in the bass than what I like.  The 598s might well fit the bill if I can find them for sale here so will have a look.  Cheers.

598s sound like a great choice. I guess I was kind of projecting my own desire there. BTW, I live in the Channel Islands, so I do my shopping on UK sites too.

I bought the Game One because I thought it could do double duty as a music and gaming headset and that it would be like a slightly less refined 598. I don't own the 598 but do own the HD600 and have read plenty of comparisons between them so have an idea of what to expect. Going from descriptions of the 598's sound, the Game One doesn't seem to be much like the 598 at all.

I found the Game One to be very light on bass, unmusical and closed sounding despite being classed as open back (I'd personally describe them as semi-open). The clamping force is too heavy for my liking, punchy snare hits in a track are so forward it makes my ears tense up (so are fatiguing) and certain frequencies seem to cause a resonance that makes the left ear cup buzz slightly (might have to talk to Sennheiser about that). I'm really not too impressed and personally would not recommend them.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #38,778 of 48,562

I bought the Game One because I thought it could do double duty as a music and gaming headset and that it would be like a slightly less refined 598. I don't own the 598 but do own the HD600 and have read plenty of comparisons between them so have an idea of what to expect. Going from descriptions of the 598's sound, the Game One doesn't seem to be much like the 598 at all.

You already have the HD 600? Why not just add a mic and call it a day? You can get a Modmic if you want it attached to the headphone - or an external mic if you don't - and be done. That should be cheaper than buying a new headphone entirely.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #38,779 of 48,562

You already have the HD 600? Why not just add a mic and call it a day? You can get a Modmic if you want it attached to the headphone - or an external mic if you don't - and be done. That should be cheaper than buying a new headphone entirely.

I tried the Modmic and wasn't a fan. Having two cables got on my nerves and when I used cable braiding it made them (K240 MKiis I was using at the time) look ugly. I mostly sit/lay on my bed when gaming and haven't found an elegant mic solution for when using the HD600s yet. I'm considering going with a lapel mic but not sure which one.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #38,780 of 48,562
I tried the Modmic and wasn't a fan. Having two cables got on my nerves and when I used cable braiding it made them (K240 MKiis I was using at the time) look ugly. I mostly sit/lay on my bed when gaming and haven't found an elegant mic solution for when using the HD600s yet. I'm considering going with a lapel mic but not sure which one.

I tried the clip-on mics and honestly every one I tried was garbage. To be fair, they were incredibly cheap so I know that was part of it. Braiding the Modmic cable certainly isn't pretty, but it's effective. There's also the option to heat shrink the Modmic cable with its own HD 650 cable for a perfect fusion.

Playing from the bed, eh? How about mounting a cheapish mic on a mic stand?

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #38,781 of 48,562
Recently acquired a mmx 300 headset, a few thoughts:

Compared to the game one, the mmx300 has more impactful bass and a bit more on the higher frequencies as well. (Typical of Beyer products). This headset isolates extremely well as it's a closed can, but with that comes a slightly smaller soundstage. It's certainly above average for a closed can and positioning is just fine.The build quality is excellent, headset feels very solid. My friends said the mic was very clear in chat; It's very flexible to accomadate whatever position one chooses.

Overall really nice headset, one I've wanted to check out for a while now. In the end I need an open headset, so I can hear my son if he wakes up at night.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #38,782 of 48,562

I tried the clip-on mics and honestly every one I tried was garbage. To be fair, they were incredibly cheap so I know that was part of it. Braiding the Modmic cable certainly isn't pretty, but it's effective. There's also the option to heat shrink the Modmic cable with its own HD 650 cable for a perfect fusion.

Playing from the bed, eh? How about mounting a cheapish mic on a mic stand?

I have a few ideas floating around at the moment. One was some kind of table clamp that I could attach a boom to (just the top portion of a typical mic stand rather that a full scissor arm) and attach that to the stool I'm using as a bedside table (What can I say? It fits). I was also considering buying a USB class compliant mixer so I could use my XLR mics, but I don't have a great deal of space so it would be one more thing cluttering up my room.

I barely play online at the moment so may just use the Cloud 2 if I need a mic and use the HD600 the rest of the time. I don't have any urgency at present but would like to figure a way to use whatever headphone I want with a convenient mic solution in future.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #38,783 of 48,562
OK so I finally picked up a PS4 (pro), and I am wondering what games are must own. I picked up The Last of Us as I gave away my PS3 before it released on it. Also grabbed MLB The Show 2017 (main reason to push me to PS4). I plan on getting Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn once I complete Mafia 3 on Xbox, TLoU, and Dishonored 2 (Xbox). Resident Evil 7 is another I will get on PS4. Am I missing any exclusives that are must own? Please go back to the start, as I am sure some of the launch year games are good, and left off of best of lists. 

While the PS4 controller is the best Sony has made yet, I still despise the stick layout. Any suggestions on an Xbox style layout controller that isn't complete junk? This is a huge deciding factor as to which console I buy a game for. I'll also buy a Scorpio day one, so most shooters I will get for Xbox, and enjoy the better controller and better graphics down the road. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #38,784 of 48,562
I have a few ideas floating around at the moment. One was some kind of table clamp that I could attach a boom to (just the top portion of a typical mic stand rather that a full scissor arm) and attach that to the stool I'm using as a bedside table (What can I say? It fits). I was also considering buying a USB class compliant mixer so I could use my XLR mics, but I don't have a great deal of space so it would be one more thing cluttering up my room.

I barely play online at the moment so may just use the Cloud 2 if I need a mic and use the HD600 the rest of the time. I don't have any urgency at present but would like to figure a way to use whatever headphone I want with a convenient mic solution in future.

Something like this might work for you. I use the same one on my apartment's desk. There are higher quality desk arms available, but this is convenient and has an (admittedly very cheap) XLR cable built-in. You can easily get a compact USB interface that could attach physically to the boom with a tie, like the Blue Icicle, so it doesn't take up space. I'm not sure if the Blue would work with a console, but it has no issues with a PC or Mac.

I subscribe to the school of thought that if you have high end gear, why not use it? Have great mics? Use those! Your teammates will appreciate the clear game chats. :D

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #38,785 of 48,562
  OK so I finally picked up a PS4 (pro), and I am wondering what games are must own. I picked up The Last of Us as I gave away my PS3 before it released on it. Also grabbed MLB The Show 2017 (main reason to push me to PS4). I plan on getting Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn once I complete Mafia 3 on Xbox, TLoU, and Dishonored 2 (Xbox). Resident Evil 7 is another I will get on PS4. Am I missing any exclusives that are must own? Please go back to the start, as I am sure some of the launch year games are good, and left off of best of lists. 

While the PS4 controller is the best Sony has made yet, I still despise the stick layout. Any suggestions on an Xbox style layout controller that isn't complete junk? This is a huge deciding factor as to which console I buy a game for. I'll also buy a Scorpio day one, so most shooters I will get for Xbox, and enjoy the better controller and better graphics down the road. 

Definitely Uncharted, TLOU and The Show. Those have been my favorite games so far. I haven't picked up the show 17, but enjoyed 16, and it's the only option for a baseball sim.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #38,786 of 48,562

I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 5 - love it. It's the best of the bunch, and most modern by a wide margin, IMO. And I always go back to The Witcher 3. Great, great games!

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #38,787 of 48,562

Something like this might work for you. I use the same one on my apartment's desk. There are higher quality desk arms available, but this is convenient and has an (admittedly very cheap) XLR cable built-in. You can easily get a compact USB interface that could attach physically to the boom with a tie, like the Blue Icicle, so it doesn't take up space. I'm not sure if the Blue would work with a console, but it has no issues with a PC or Mac.

I subscribe to the school of thought that if you have high end gear, why not use it? Have great mics? Use those! Your teammates will appreciate the clear game chats. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. That's definitely something to consider. I was eyeing the Rode one for a little while but got hung up on what mixer to get and whether I wanted to go that route at all or go with a lapel mic, so the idea kind of got buried. I also may need to buy a new DAC soon, so I'm watching what I spend.

It seems my new amp (Little Dot MKiii) doesn't play nice with the stereo output on my Omni. It produces a high pitched noise that isn't present when I use the line out setting on my Fiio X1. I've sent an email to David at Little Dot to see if he might be able to suggest what the problem is. I don't know if it's an incompatibility from a design perspective or if there is a problem with my Omni in particular. I know that the Little Dot shouldn't be coupled to an amp with a DC coupled input if using it as a preamp. I just wasn't sure if there was some similar issue with the output of the Omni/the input of the LD MKiii. I figure that if I'm going to buy a DAC, I may as well get something decent (for my budget anyway).

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #38,788 of 48,562
Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought every major multiplatform release for Xbox One. So really looking for must play PS4 exclusives. I have a few lined up so I'm good for the time being. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing an older game or two that are must play.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #38,790 of 48,562
  I think the Game One is an ok offering, but personally for the price I feel there are better options out there. Sennheiser's new Massdrop collaboration, the PC37X was more enjoyable for me when it came to gaming. I don't know what that would run you in the UK with international shipping, VAT and all that.

I use the SHP9500 + BoomPro combo for my PS4 and Mixamp. That's a solid budget offering IMO. I'm debating swapping the pads sometime for a bit more comfort, but as stock I still like the set for games.

How much does the Sennheiser HD 599 cost across the pond? I prefer the HD 599 to the HD 598, but the HD 598 is probably easier on the budget.

599 is £200 approx over here.  SHP9500 £86 - Pretty sure which route I'd go out of those two (value wise :p )

598s sound like a great choice. I guess I was kind of projecting my own desire there. BTW, I live in the Channel Islands, so I do my shopping on UK sites too.

I found the Game One to be very light on bass, unmusical and closed sounding despite being classed as open back (I'd personally describe them as semi-open). The clamping force is too heavy for my liking, punchy snare hits in a track are so forward it makes my ears tense up (so are fatiguing) and certain frequencies seem to cause a resonance that makes the left ear cup buzz slightly (might have to talk to Sennheiser about that). I'm really not too impressed and personally would not recommend them.

Thanks for that - don't really want to spend Game One kind of money unless they would provide a significant inprovement. Maybe I'll wait until Massdrop do the PC37x again?

After a BF1 session last night, I'm sure I'll ditch the Hyper X Cloud X for online gaming at least - I played the first hour with them in a party with a good friend, then switched to my Superlux HD681 Evo with adaptor and Boom Pro.  Friend didn't know which setup I was using but commented how much better (significantly so) I sounded with the Boom Pro.  Both sets played via the Creative G5.

Additionally, I just don't like closed back for online - not a fan of the less spacious sound and also the extra isolation meaning I can barely hear myself speak.

Might keep the Hyper X for single player stuff but think I'll got for the SHP9500 early next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back