Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 14, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #38,747 of 48,562
Getting me excited :)

Once you've got your own personal measurements you can apply them to other peoples speaker/setup data to use (eg - if someone made their file from their home theater,a proper studio, concert hall, theatre etc available)

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #38,751 of 48,562
One more question guys. Should I buy a soundcard if I am already buying a high end amp/dac

If you want to use HRTF like Dolby Headphone (Asus) or SBX (Creative Labs) then yes. But the DAC must have an optical input in order for the sound card to send Dolby Headphone or SBX into the DAC (which is processed 5.1 or 7.1 turned into 2.0 channel audio).

If you do not care for any of this virtual surround sound than you don't need one of these sound cards.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #38,752 of 48,562
If you want to use HRTF like Dolby Headphone (Asus) or SBX (Creative Labs) then yes. But the DAC must have an optical input in order for the sound card to send Dolby Headphone or SBX into the DAC (which is processed 5.1 or 7.1 turned into 2.0 channel audio).

If you do not care for any of this virtual surround sound than you don't need one of these sound cards.
I won't be buying Dolby headphone. I will be buying akg k712

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #38,755 of 48,562
I have no idea what that is but my amp has 3d surround has xboost tho

Basically. if you want to hear surround sound like 7.1 through your 2-channel stereo headphones like AKG K712, the 7.1 audio the game/movie produces must be first digitally processed by a HRTF method for 2 channels. Otherwise you wont hear anything or hear only the 2 front channels of the 7.1 audio. HRTF DSP creates illusion like you were listening 7.1 audio even though your headphones are only 2 channels (therefore it's called virtual surround). Some HRTF methods do it better than others.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #38,756 of 48,562
Basically. if you want to hear surround sound like 7.1 through your 2-channel stereo headphones like AKG K712, the 7.1 audio the game/movie produces must be first digitally processed by a HRTF method for 2 channels. Otherwise you wont hear anything or hear only the 2 front channels of the 7.1 audio. HRTF DSP creates illusion like you were listening 7.1 audio even though your headphones are only 2 channels (therefore it's called virtual surround). Some HRTF methods do it better than others.
But if I am using a DAC,won't it overcome the soundcard?

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #38,758 of 48,562
But if I am using a DAC,won't it overcome the soundcard?

It's a bit tricky to explain, there are special vocabulary words for gaming sound.
When listening to game audio with traditional headphones (AKG K712), you can listen in Stereo or process a Virtual Surround.
A stereo setup with a computer would look like this:
PC>DAC>Amp>K712
(Many PC's have low-quality DACs and Amps built-in)

A headphone Virtual Surrround setup with a computer would look like this:
PC> Soundcard's Optical out (digital) > DAC > Amp > K712
In this case, the Soundcard's only duty is Digital Signal Processing, or DSP. The DSP is what makes the Virtual Surround effect, and that effect is passed along to the DAC.

That said, Soundcards typically have pretty good DACs built-in too, if you want to save some money. What DAC were you planning on buying?

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #38,759 of 48,562
It's a bit tricky to explain, there are special vocabulary words for gaming sound.
When listening to game audio with traditional headphones (AKG K712), you can listen in Stereo or process a Virtual Surround.
A stereo setup with a computer would look like this:
PC>DAC>Amp>K712
(Many PC's have low-quality DACs and Amps built-in)

A headphone Virtual Surrround setup with a computer would look like this:
PC> Soundcard's Optical out (digital) > DAC > Amp > K712
In this case, the Soundcard's only duty is Digital Signal Processing, or DSP. The DSP is what makes the Virtual Surround effect, and that effect is passed along to the DAC.

That said, Soundcards typically have pretty good DACs built-in too, if you want to save some money. What DAC were you planning on buying?
ifi micro idsd black

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #38,760 of 48,562
ifi micro idsd black

Nice choice.....

But to help you out even further let me ask you one thing.....

Do you know what virtual surround sound is?

Reason is because if you came into this thread it is because you read page 1 of this thread, it should explain what virtual surround sound or what an HRTF is.

This thread mainly focuses on virtual surround sound and devices that are used to give us virtual surround sound but there are times where we will need to use an amp to drive headphones that require more juice.

Since this is specifically a thread meant for console users (PS4 and XBONE mainly) some of us do have experience and are using PC for gaming as well. With that said, if you can not fully understand what virtual surround sound is, then you don't really need such feature (yet).

As to answer your question if you need a sound card to use your iDSD......you don't. iDSD can be used when plugged into a USB and you are pretty much good to go. I would suggest looking in the forums for the iDSD amp/dac thread and ask further question about your iDSD.

Also the 3D surround feature and xbass feature have nothing to do with what we are trying to explain....those are 2 features that just slightly enhance stereo sound which is personal preference I believe but not really related to what we talk about in this thread.

I hope you can understand what I am talking about so you could understand what is going on here and hopefully better your experience with your micro iDSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back