Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 21, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #38,791 of 48,562

599 is £200 approx over here.  SHP9500 £86 - Pretty sure which route I'd go out of those two (value wise :p )

Thanks for that - don't really want to spend Game One kind of money unless they would provide a significant inprovement. Maybe I'll wait until Massdrop do the PC37x again?

After a BF1 session last night, I'm sure I'll ditch the Hyper X Cloud X for online gaming at least - I played the first hour with them in a party with a good friend, then switched to my Superlux HD681 Evo with adaptor and Boom Pro.  Friend didn't know which setup I was using but commented how much better (significantly so) I sounded with the Boom Pro.  Both sets played via the Creative G5.

Additionally, I just don't like closed back for online - not a fan of the less spacious sound and also the extra isolation meaning I can barely hear myself speak.

Might keep the Hyper X for single player stuff but think I'll got for the SHP9500 early next week.

Perhaps it is because I listen at relatively low volume, but I find the significance of whether a headphone is open or closed back is overstated when it comes to their spaciousness/soundstage size. I'm guessing at higher listening volumes it becomes more significant as reflections become more of an issue and open backed headphones ability to let the soundwaves escape comes into play. Or perhaps I'm just weird lol.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #38,792 of 48,562
Nothing wrong with the HD681's - grab some cheap velour (comfy) pads for a few bucks and they're 90% as good as a........

edit: was honestly trying to send a set of the Superlux/Samson varieties to MLE a couple of years ago to get them added to the list - they really are the budget killers without the FOTM of the SHP's (I think I got 2 pairs for $30)

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #38,793 of 48,562
Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought every major multiplatform release for Xbox One. So really looking for must play PS4 exclusives. I have a few lined up so I'm good for the time being. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing an older game or two that are must play.

Bloodborne, Nioh, Driveclub, Persona 5, The Show, Horizon, TLOU, Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, and Let it Die (free) are my personal suggestions.

I want to gamefly Nier: Automata, Uncharted series (yes, shame me for never playing them), and Rachet & Clank. Waiting to clear some of my recent backlog before signing up, though.

Oh, and I'm borrowing Last Guardian from my neighbor whenever I finish and give him back Mafia 3.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #38,794 of 48,562
  Nothing wrong with the HD681's - grab some cheap velour (comfy) pads for a few bucks and they're 90% as good as a........

edit: was honestly trying to send a set of the Superlux/Samson varieties to MLE a couple of years ago to get them added to the list - they really are the budget killers without the FOTM of the SHP's (I think I got 2 pairs for $30)

Yea - I have the 681 Evo's so they came with a set of velour pads in the box so I swapped them with the leatherette ones immediately.  Sound-wise they are great - just wish they had a female 3.5mm jack so I didn't have to use the Boom Pro dangling from an adaptor.  Minor issue I guess. :) 

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #38,795 of 48,562
Bloodborne, Nioh, Driveclub, Persona 5, The Show, Horizon, TLOU, Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, and Let it Die (free) are my personal suggestions.

I want to gamefly Nier: Automata, Uncharted series (yes, shame me for never playing them), and Rachet & Clank. Waiting to clear some of my recent backlog before signing up, though.

Oh, and I'm borrowing Last Guardian from my neighbor whenever I finish and give him back Mafia 3.

Excellent list. You have to play Uncharted! 1 was good, 2 was awesome, 3 was good. I'm waiting to catch 4 on sale since it's old now.

Love Mafia 3 but it's poorly developed. Good story though. Hope to finish it soon to get back to TLoU. Played Heavy Rain on PS3, great game as well.

Most excited for Horizon. May wait on a few back log games to get it in sooner. Thank you for the list!

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #38,796 of 48,562
   just wish they had a female 3.5mm jack so I didn't have to use the Boom Pro dangling from an adaptor.  Minor issue I guess. :) 

90% of my issues with headphones are the cables

I have heaps (of headphones and cables) - why the fark can't they make them all detachable and agree on a single connector?

It shouldn't have to feel like xmas when you get a new set of cans and they share a plug with an existing set.

It shouldn't have to be an issue as to which connector you want to use if you decide to mod your cans to accept your choice of cables.

We pretty much have the cable issue solved with phones (except for Apple) - we need to do the same with headphones (except for Apple)

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #38,797 of 48,562
90% of my issues with headphones are the cables

I have heaps (of headphones and cables) - why the fark can't they make them all detachable and agree on a single connector?

It shouldn't have to feel like xmas when you get a new set of cans and they share a plug with an existing set.

It shouldn't have to be an issue as to which connector you want to use if you decide to mod your cans to accept your choice of cables.

We pretty much have the cable issue solved with phones (except for Apple) - we need to do the same with headphones (except for Apple)

Agreed. I just wish everyone would use mini-xlr like Audeze, or the MrSpeakers Hirose connectors, with an easy option to connect a microphone.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #38,798 of 48,562
I prefer 3,5mm. My AH-D7200 for instance runs off a Beyerdynamic T5p 2G/T1 2G cable. Meze cables would fit as well and plenty of others.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #38,799 of 48,562
3.5mm TRRRS in and out would be a perfect standard - 1 size fits all,

2.5mm in, 3.5mm out would solve size issues and keep a happy standard.

RCA or screw in coax with CAT5 out would be annoying as all ****, but if it was standardised it'd be better than what we have now.

Hell - banana in and out - if everything had it would suit me fine.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #38,800 of 48,562
Excellent list. You have to play Uncharted! 1 was good, 2 was awesome, 3 was good. I'm waiting to catch 4 on sale since it's old now.

Love Mafia 3 but it's poorly developed. Good story though. Hope to finish it soon to get back to TLoU. Played Heavy Rain on PS3, great game as well.

Most excited for Horizon. May wait on a few back log games to get it in sooner. Thank you for the list!

This. The story is the only thing keeping me going. Every single mission is exactly the same. A prime example of how not to make an open world game. I bet MLE would love it! haha 
tongue.gif

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #38,801 of 48,562
Finally finished Mafia III. Wow the bugs in that game are RIDICULOUS! It would crash out a few times a session, thankfully I never lost my progress. I enjoyed it, but I highly doubt I will play another in this series. The "game" of constantly getting kicked to the Xbox home screen was infuriating. As much as I would love to go back and complete everything, I just can't take the aggravation.

I'll get back to The Last of Us and wrap that up. Much more enjoyable and frustration free!

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #38,802 of 48,562
Finally found my subscribed (watched) threads

Ouch - my eyes are still bleeding from trying to log into Head-Fi thismorning

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #38,803 of 48,562
Took me a while, too. Now I'm trying to figure out how to edit or bump my classified.

I blame Axel

Edit: Is there a new site FAQ page?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #38,805 of 48,562
So I've been getting into gaming again since yesterday, and I need a headphone around the $250 (either new or used) that has a natural sound, with excellent imaging and big soundstage. I want no treble harshness, I wouldn't mind trading a bit of sparkle for smoothness, they just need to have a natural timbre and great imaging/soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back