Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #36,331 of 48,578
I'm streaming some Until Dawn on my Twitch. If you are bored join me up. I have no real life so, yeah, this is the highlight of my Saturday night.

A very entertaining, cinematic game! Played through it with 5 friends in the dark... Dunno how we managed to save everyone's life, haha!

And it was pretty well balanced (except the flying bot ******** thing). Seriously, a lot of AAA shooters could learn a lot from guys who made this game. The weapons, the maps, the gamemodes. Top notch

And it's like $10 now, right?
Haven't played it myself.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #36,332 of 48,578
A very entertaining, cinematic game! Played through it with 5 friends in the dark... Dunno how we managed to save everyone's life, haha!

There are still people playing it so give it a try. Aside from the lag its fun.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #36,333 of 48,578

I think I'm halfway through and already half my people are in deep schiit haha.

There are still people playing it so give it a try. Aside from the lag its fun.

I'll just wait for the next one. I'm sure after they finish Horizon they'll do another KZ.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #36,334 of 48,578
So, I just want to say that despite some of the shortcomings with the 2011 Astro Mixamp, I gotta give it props for build quality.  I've had mine since early 2010 and despite the age and regular use, the thing continues to work as intended each time I hook it up.  I upgraded to a Marantz receiver three years ago for all non-chat gaming and movie watching, but the original unit I got had some hardware failure issues on it, which have now recently showed up on the replacement unit I received two years ago.  I'm thankful that I have the Mixamp to fall back on and am rather impressed that this small box is outperforming my AVR.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #36,335 of 48,578
  So, I just want to say that despite some of the shortcomings with the 2011 Astro Mixamp, I gotta give it props for build quality.  I've had mine since early 2010 and despite the age and regular use, the thing continues to work as intended each time I hook it up.  I upgraded to a Marantz receiver three years ago for all non-chat gaming and movie watching, but the original unit I got had some hardware failure issues on it, which have now recently showed up on the replacement unit I received two years ago.  I'm thankful that I have the Mixamp to fall back on and am rather impressed that this small box is outperforming my AVR.

Can You post a picture of Your setup. I'm really curious how a big A/V receiver fits in a gaming setup.

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #36,336 of 48,578
  Can You post a picture of Your setup. I'm really curious how a big A/V receiver fits in a gaming setup.

Yeah, I can do that.  We moved recently and things are still a bit disorganized, so it'll look more cluttered than intended.  But, it's basically a typical living room setup with gaming consoles rather than a setup at a desk.  I've got the TV in the center and an AV cabinet off to the right holding all my consoles.  Everything hooks up to the AVR via HDMI.  Then I hook my Magni 2U up to the headphone jack on the AVR (since the output impedance on the receiver is too high) and turn the volume on the Magni to around 11 o'clock.  I then adjust the volume on the AVR using the remote while seated on the couch.  For me, I'm fine with longer headphone cables so I can leave the Magni near the receiver.  I used to be able to just barely reach the couch with the TH-X00, but in our new place, the distance is longer, so I need to bring the Magni 2U out a couple feet.

I've never really been a PC gamer, but a coworker will be giving me an older (but still capable) desktop soon, so I plan to hook that to the AVR as well and use my PS4 controller on steam games.  Should be exciting!

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #36,337 of 48,578
My ps4 controller started lagging my games after 45 minutes, at least while playing Devil May Cry (reboot). Issue immediately went away when I unplugged the controller without changing anything else. The game would eventually freeze completely and I would have to force quit the game, and it still wouldn't start right until I removed the controller. Also annoying that Windows numbered the buttons instead of any attempt at referencing triggers or Dpad etc. Somehow I got it to behave before the last 3rd of the game, don't remember what helped (reinstalling the game didn't help the first two tries, maybe I just started using a 360 controller?) but eventually I beat the game. I think the issue happened with another game too, but I got so annoyed that I had to work at it just to get the game running that I've been reluctant to play more PC.

Not sure what's hard to imagine about an AVR gaming setup... It's a living room setup, and usually you give up on chat.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #36,338 of 48,578
I thought he keeps the avr on his desk and was wondering how does it fit there.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #36,339 of 48,578
Yikes, crazy to hear about the problems you had with the PS4 controller on PC Evs.  I'll keep it in mind.

Here's the pics I took last night (sorry for the quality).  The first three show how I normally do non-chat gaming and movie watching.  However, since the left channel has gone out on the AVR, I've had to resort to using the optical passthrough to the mixamp, as seen in the fourth photo.

And I don't actually have to give up on chat, as when I use the Mixamp for chat-gaming, I just slide the blue box it's on closer to the couch and I can still access the dials; I bought long USB and optical cables a long time ago to rectify that.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #36,340 of 48,578
  Yikes, crazy to hear about the problems you had with the PS4 controller on PC Evs.  I'll keep it in mind.

Here's the pics I took last night (sorry for the quality).  The first three show how I normally do non-chat gaming and movie watching.  However, since the left channel has gone out on the AVR, I've had to resort to using the optical passthrough to the mixamp, as seen in the fourth photo.

And I don't actually have to give up on chat, as when I use the Mixamp for chat-gaming, I just slide the blue box it's on closer to the couch and I can still access the dials; I bought long USB and optical cables a long time ago to rectify that.

Kinda disappointed to see a rather tidy room where people actually live. Dunno why but I expected some kind of underground man-cave.

My ps4 controller started lagging my games after 45 minutes, at least while playing Devil May Cry (reboot). Issue immediately went away when I unplugged the controller without changing anything else. The game would eventually freeze completely and I would have to force quit the game, and it still wouldn't start right until I removed the controller. Also annoying that Windows numbered the buttons instead of any attempt at referencing triggers or Dpad etc. Somehow I got it to behave before the last 3rd of the game, don't remember what helped (reinstalling the game didn't help the first two tries, maybe I just started using a 360 controller?) but eventually I beat the game. I think the issue happened with another game too, but I got so annoyed that I had to work at it just to get the game running that I've been reluctant to play more PC.

Not sure what's hard to imagine about an AVR gaming setup... It's a living room setup, and usually you give up on chat.

I like checking out other people's setups. Gives me ideas how to improve mine.

Do You use a DirectInput to Xinput wrapper for the DualShock4? Software such as DS4Tool or MotionInJoy should resolve the controller problems you've been having.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #36,341 of 48,578
  Kinda disappointed to see a rather tidy room where people actually live. Dunno why but I expected some kind of underground man-cave.

I'm like checking out other people's setups. Gives me ideas how to improve mine.

Do You use a DirectInput to Xinput wrapper for the DualShock4? Software such as DS4Tool or MotionInJoy should resolve the controller problems you've been having.

If only I had the space... 
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #36,345 of 48,578
  Mine is a far from tidy. That's the reason I'm likely never going to post pics of my setup.

Mine used to be really messy. One day I was moving furniture around and decided that since I'm already doing that I might as well clean up so I installed cable baskets under my desk, and recently I put the TV on the wall above my desk to reclaim some space from the desk. Not only it's cleaner, but I started feeling better when I'm at my desk. The cables, and the power outlets and lack of space stopped annoying me. I highly recommend tidying up.
Tidy is how a space/man cave should be! Mine is coming along well!

Batman's hideout is a point of reference here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back