Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #36,346 of 48,578

My lazy boy is parked in front of this setup. Id like a larger TV but the picture is great on my KDL32W650 and I'm sitting less than 4 feet from it. I've also added the "bias lighting" behind it. I just have a Ps4 and HTPC going these days.

I also have a retina scan on the door to keep children and wife out of my room! Haha

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #36,347 of 48,578

Mine used to be really messy. One day I was moving furniture around and decided that since I'm already doing that I might as well clean up so I installed cable baskets under my desk, and recently I put the TV on the wall above my desk to reclaim some space from the desk. Not only it's cleaner, but I started feeling better when I'm at my desk. The cables, and the power outlets and lack of space stopped annoying me. I highly recommend tidying up.

Batman's hideout is a point of reference here.

The problem is, if I tidy up my desk, I'll then have to tidy up my entire room which is a task I'm not up to at this point in time.

As far as Batman goes, in fairness, he does have a butler.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #36,348 of 48,578
Haha different strokes. I like the slow pace of BF. Absolutely hate twitch shooters.

Well, a lot of FPSs boil down to sheer twitch during certain engagements, even slower ones like Battlefield and Counter-Strike. Sometimes that's the only thing that'll save you when you're horribly outnumbered and outgunned in a bad spot, though those are the sorta titles where you want to avoid that to begin with and think more tactically, more about clearing, covering and controlling spaces.

That said, if someone was to use the phrase "twitch shooter", I'm immediately thinking of the golden age of arena FPSs. Unreal Tournament, Quake III Arena/Quake Live, Tribes (okay, that's not really an arena FPS per se), Reflex (a spiritual successor to Q3A and CPMA), that sorta thing. High speeds, trickjumping and skiing all over the place, controlling map pickups, insane flick shots with hitscan weapons and rockets...

It's the sort of thing I admittedly miss nowadays, though I understand why it's a niche among the genre today.

Anyway, we got the Battlefield 1 open beta coming up soon. Anyone else gonna get in on that while it's live?

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #36,349 of 48,578
I'll pass on the BF1. This isn't WW1 shooter. It's bf4 with bf1 skins. They took so much liberty with the source material that it's not even funny.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #36,350 of 48,578
I'll pass on the BF1. This isn't WW1 shooter. It's bf4 with bf1 skins. They took so much liberty with the source material that it's not even funny.

I figure that if you wanted authenticity in the first place, you'd go for Verdun instead. That game supposedly does for WWI what Red Orchestra and WWII Online did for WWII, and what OFP/ArmA, Project Reality, Squad, etc. do for the modern day - brutal, unflinching realism.

I'll at least give BF1 a chance for the open beta, though there's no way I'm paying release prices for it, especially knowing EA's penchant for Premium practically doubling the price and how BF4 was such a buggy mess on release that people went back to playing BF3 instead for a while.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #36,351 of 48,578
I figure that if you wanted authenticity in the first place, you'd go for Verdun instead. That game supposedly does for WWI what Red Orchestra and WWII Online did for WWII, and what OFP/ArmA, Project Reality, Squad, etc. do for the modern day - brutal, unflinching realism.

I'll at least give BF1 a chance for the open beta, though there's no way I'm paying release prices for it, especially knowing EA's penchant for Premium practically doubling the price and how BF4 was such a buggy mess on release that people went back to playing BF3 instead for a while.

I like you lol

I play Verdun once a week or so and jave fun with it. Same with Red Orchestra/Rising Storm...Being a german with an MG42 is so much fun when trying to hold off an offensive attack is soo much fun. Ill have to post my video about that once I get back to LA from vacation.

As for BF1, yeah it's a reskinned BF4 but its done so well and looks like fun that I really can't complain. At least it isnt hardline lol.

I got the 1 day early access to BF1 but Im in Mexico right now so I wont jump on it until I get back this Saturday. I dont think BF1 is going to be a big mess like BF4 was. Im quite positive that it will turn out to be alright on release day. Battlefront actually did well on day 1 although that game is also a bit eh right now. Its fun for a bit but then it becomes eh lol.

I am in a sense a BF fan but I knew ever since BF1942 that the battlefield series was mever really meant to be a game based on authencity. COD was a game basd on that but now it isnt anymore and look how many kids play it lol.

Idk why but I almost want to say that the people who dislike BF games probably get owned in these games therefore not really giving BF games a chance. I mean, There is more to it when it comes to disliking BF games but getting owned in a game kind of is part of the decision some gamers dislike BF games.

Dont lie, its the truth, I disliked some games I wasnt good at in the beginning lol.

Anyways, I found this article from PC Gamer and wondered what you guys think about?

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-high-end-headphones/?utm_content=buffer5d503&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Just a heads up....biased lol

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #36,352 of 48,578
BF1 is alright, but I'm not that impressed. I will admit it's better than Hardline and Battlefront. As long as they have enough vehicle combat on all maps I'm good. This gen BF4 is still king, though...

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #36,353 of 48,578
I dislike the bf1 for stretching the ww1 realia as far as they possibly could in order to keep the gameplay from bf4. These automatic weapons were prototypes that never swa combat. Same thing with most of the tanks, sights, even ******* suppressors made it into the game.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #36,354 of 48,578
Played the game last night, 
It's more or less the same with bf4-bf3-battlefront. I like the game and setting but the game just feels like a run and gun bf4 in a different setting imo. I was hoping for some trench warfare but this is all in 1 map and open beta so i cant say much yet.
Never the less i like the game and might buy it later on.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #36,355 of 48,578
I dislike the bf1 for stretching the ww1 realia as far as they possibly could in order to keep the gameplay from bf4. These automatic weapons were prototypes that never swa combat. Same thing with most of the tanks, sights, even ******* suppressors made it into the game.

I get what you're saying. It feels more like a WW2 shooter than WW1.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #36,356 of 48,578

My lazy boy is parked in front of this setup. Id like a larger TV but the picture is great on my KDL32W650 and I'm sitting less than 4 feet from it. I've also added the "bias lighting" behind it. I just have a Ps4 and HTPC going these days.

I also have a retina scan on the door to keep children and wife out of my room! Haha

Nice setup, efficient use of space!  I'm considering doing bias lighting one of these days; it adds a neat effect.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #36,357 of 48,578

Actually I would have to agree with that.

But at this point in the gaming industry, you shouldn't take these games or expect them to be based on "realism" or "authencity".

Look at COD...it has authencity with its WW2 games, which I still own and are awesome but COD now is completely different...and if you like COD, then you should kind of understand where BF1 is at.

But lets be honest....during WW1,there really wasnt much variety in weaponry....

WW2 did and even more so during Vietnam.

Oh oh, who is getting Rising Storm 2: Vietnam? I know I am lol

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #36,358 of 48,578
hELLO ALL,

I've read the guide and I am looking for a dedicated pair of headphones and possibly a dolby headphone device to get an edge in my FPS gaming. I understand the AD700x is the best possible value, and can also see that the HD598 is rated amazing.

How does the old HD595, which i own, compare to the HD598 for gaming??  I ask this because I own the HD595 and really like it, and for positional awareness I think it has a little edge above the HD600, my main cans, but the advantage is not huge to my ears. Sho

What route would you take? Should I stick with the hd595 and get the mixamp TR or could I get a signnificant upgrade getting the AD700x and the mixamp??

How much of the "god-mode" attributed to the AKG K701 and the AD700x is from the headphones and how much is from the dolby headphone tech??  Could I get the god-mode with the k701 alone or should i definitely get the dolby headphone device?

Thank you!!

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #36,359 of 48,578
  hELLO ALL,

I've read the guide and I am looking for a dedicated pair of headphones and possibly a dolby headphone device to get an edge in my FPS gaming. I understand the AD700x is the best possible value, and can also see that the HD598 is rated amazing.

How does the old HD595, which i own, compare to the HD598 for gaming??  I ask this because I own the HD595 and really like it, and for positional awareness I think it has a little edge above the HD600, my main cans, but the advantage is not huge to my ears. Sho

What route would you take? Should I stick with the hd595 and get the mixamp TR or could I get a signnificant upgrade getting the AD700x and the mixamp??

How much of the "god-mode" attributed to the AKG K701 and the AD700x is from the headphones and how much is from the dolby headphone tech??  Could I get the god-mode with the k701 alone or should i definitely get the dolby headphone device?

Thank you!!

Stick with 595. I used to own the 598 and for competitive gaming it was doing just fine.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #36,360 of 48,578
Actually I would have to agree with that.

But at this point in the gaming industry, you shouldn't take these games or expect them to be based on "realism" or "authencity".

Look at COD...it has authencity with its WW2 games, which I still own and are awesome but COD now is completely different...and if you like COD, then you should kind of understand where BF1 is at.

But lets be honest....during WW1,there really wasnt much variety in weaponry....

WW2 did and even more so during Vietnam.

Oh oh, who is getting Rising Storm 2: Vietnam? I know I am lol

I know that modern fps take some liberty with authenticity. But BF1 went too far. They twisted the WW1 into something that's akin to a steampunk/alternate history version of it. Everything they could to keep the gameplay from changing too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back