Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #36,301 of 48,578
  You know whats frustrating about being a serious gamer? Getting serious sound.

What the best graphics card? You can find that easily within 20 seconds. Buy it. Done.
Best processor? 20 seconds. Best monitor? Maybe a few hours of researching.

Sound? I've spent dozens of hours researching sound, spend hundreds on cans, headsets, amp/dacs, soundcards... and I still don't feel I know what the best setup is in terms of competitive advantage. That is just frustrating.

Personally, I think part of what makes for a good competitive setup is familiarity. Getting used to your equipment and learning how to read the cues it provides will be valuable in the same way that using a controller you are used to or a particular mouse sensitivity is. For example, I use a relatively low DPI setting as I find it makes me more precise and I'm happy with the trade-off of having to make larger movements to do a 180/360 etc. If I were to turn my sensitivity up a whole lot, I wouldn't be used to it and I'd have to spend time familiarising myself with how it will react as opposed to it being second nature. If you are constantly switching sound devices, you won't get used to its subtleties.

In the case of a first person shooter, a mouse and keyboard or a controller doesn't represent the way we interact with the real world, instead it is a somewhat intuitive way of approximating it. Similarly, stereo and virtual surround devices like a soundcard or Mixamp don't perfectly recreate the way we hear sound in the real world. It is a somewhat intuitive approximation and so we must take time to make it second nature as we do with a keyboard and mouse or controller.

With VR, the aim is to interact with the virtual world in a manner that more closely replicates how we interact with the real world (and therefore be more intuitive). Again, a parallel can be drawn with sound devices such as the Smyth Realiser.

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #36,302 of 48,578
You know whats frustrating about being a serious gamer? Getting serious sound.

What the best graphics card? You can find that easily within 20 seconds. Buy it. Done.
Best processor? 20 seconds. Best monitor? Maybe a few hours of researching.

Sound? I've spent dozens of hours researching sound, spend hundreds on cans, headsets, amp/dacs, soundcards... and I still don't feel I know what the best setup is in terms of competitive advantage. That is just frustrating.

Tell me about it. There's a reason I have a retrogaming setup with three sound cards in it, all with certain specific features that games use that the rest don't have and which aren't emulated at all with current software.

And even when you get into the A3D/EAX age, things are still complex because now you get to worry about how different driver versions make particular games sound on top of having the right chipset in your card; for instance, A3D 2.0 with wavetracing requires an Aureal AU8830 Vortex2-based card despite all the reflections being done in software on the CPU, and certain Win9x-era games may require a Sound Blaster Live! with Win9x VXD drivers to sound correct. I've even noticed drastic changes in how DS3D-based games sound when updating Creative's ALchemy utility over the years, even on the same X-Fi hardware.

Even when you get all the source stuff sorted out, there's the ever-so-subjective nature of audio itself. No two people hear the same way, and thus you don't have everyone agreeing that, say, the Stax SR-009 + Blue Hawaii SE or Sennheiser Orpheus is the world's best headphone setup, even with their astronomical price tags.

This isn't like shopping for a video card and looking at framerate numbers and supported features; it's a lot less objective past a certain point in quality, plus you don't ever have to worry about comfort on your head over long periods of time when you buy a graphics card or a monitor.

I will say this, though: if the "fun/competitive balance" is simply an adjustment in the quantity of bass, then an EQ can easily skew that in one direction or the other. Thus, I'd focus far more on the overall comfort, sound quality, and synergy with various virtual surround mixes.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #36,303 of 48,578
I've just been doing a bit of research on various sound technologies. First I was better informing myself about how sound projectors work and as you do when researching stuff, one thing leads to another and I started finding out more about Dolby Atmos.

As I'd stopped closely following this thread and gaming audio for a while before jumping back in, I wasn't aware that Overwatch uses Dolby Atmos for headphones. Has anyone tried it, and if so how does it compare to stuff like Dolby Headphone and SBX?

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #36,304 of 48,578
I've just been doing a bit of research on various sound technologies. First I was better informing myself about how sound projectors work and as you do when researching stuff, one thing leads to another and I started finding out more about Dolby Atmos.

As I'd stopped closely following this thread and gaming audio for a while before jumping back in, I wasn't aware that Overwatch uses Dolby Atmos for headphones. Has anyone tried it, and if so how does it compare to stuff like Dolby Headphone and SBX?

Overwatch only uses Dolby ATMOS for the PC version. It's promising technology that may someday lead back to above and below 3D audio tailored for the playback setup (stereo speakers, surround speakers, or headphones) instead of just universally funneling all audio into a home theater speaker setup.

I remember Rudyrae freaking out about atmos and gobbling up any info he could on it, but I don't think he got to play with it, yet.

AxelCloris got Overwatch for PC, maybe he or others can drop a line or two of impressions?

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #36,305 of 48,578
Overwatch only uses Dolby ATMOS for the PC version. It's promising technology that may someday lead back to above and below 3D audio tailored for the playback setup (stereo speakers, surround speakers, or headphones) instead of just universally funneling all audio into a home theater speaker setup.

I remember Rudyrae freaking out about atmos and gobbling up any info he could on it, but I don't think he got to play with it, yet.

@AxelCloris got Overwatch for PC, maybe he or others can drop a line or two of impressions?

Thanks. I'm guessing that theoretically it would be similar to Dolby Headphone but with more info as presumably they are using similar HRT techniques. From the research I've done, it certainly sounds promising.

On a separate note. I was just checking out a DTS Headphone X and Dolby Headphone comparison

Interestingly, the Dolby Headphone example seems to sound more dampened and less clear than the DTS Headphone X and stereo mix. The DTS Headphone X example seems to be more similar to the stereo mix in terms of EQ than the Dolby Headphone example does.

Because I've been using a Mixamp for a lot of my gaming, when I heard the Mixamp and TAC comparison posted recently, it made me think that the TAC sounded thin. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it is actually a case of Dolby Headphone fattening the sound and maybe muffling it a bit, though I'd have to do some more testing to arrive at a conclusion. I'm now thinking about getting a TAC so that I can test more thoroughly.

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #36,306 of 48,578
Interestingly, the Dolby Headphone example seems to sound more dampened and less clear than the DTS Headphone X and stereo mix. The DTS Headphone X example seems to be more similar to the stereo mix in terms of EQ than the Dolby Headphone example does.

Because I've been using a Mixamp for a lot of my gaming, when I heard the Mixamp and TAC comparison posted recently, it made me think that the TAC sounded thin. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it is actually a case of Dolby Headphone fattening the sound and maybe muffling it a bit, though I'd have to do some more testing to arrive at a conclusion. I'm now thinking about getting a TAC so that I can test more thoroughly.

that video feels a little biased, almost like the dts:X was a engineering soundtrack and the Dolby was an applied effect (like comparing the dts:X track off a blu ray compared to the 5.1 through a mixamp of the same film?)

but the Dolby does when compared to the dtsx on the mixamp to TAC shootout i did feels slightly smoothed or muffled. but in turn the surround sounds more organic and the TAC more tin can echo'y.

i prefer the echoy because the details seem emphasized while Dolby seems to smooth the detail and makes it harder to pick out. also i still feel i can locate sounds easier on the TAC. (all personal impressions not facts!)

then again the sbx on the x7 has a natural surround but still lots of detail, a sort of best of the both

for me i rank:

x7 sbx > TAC dts:x > Mixamp DH

oh and after reading this forum more i just found the x7 firmware update! i can throw headphone surround to my hdvd800 via optical!!! but even more importantly they added varying boost to the mic now. i think this might be my final setup. (even if the monitor is slightly delayed, ill try to learn to speak less, as you can tell i struggle with this skill...)

(probably keep switching and comparing between the TAC and the X7)

headphone wise i have cut my lot down to 4.

open:
hd800
ath adg1

closed:
denon d7100
T70

the t70 and hd800 music wise come to life using the hdvd800 it adds warmth to them and just makes them sound amazing, the x7 with default op amps in comparison is a little harsher sounding, brittle'ish. i stuck muses01's in it and they are better than the muses02 in the IV stage but still add more bass snap than i think is "correct" on some tracks it almost sounds like its deviating or breaking up! (not as bad as when i had muses02 and 627's that was TOO much break up sounding) i will be putting ad797's in when i get them in the post to try and further enhance the sound stage's width.

i want to use just the x7 and its amp as its cleaner looking on the table but i need to cut it down to just 2 headphones and a mod mic, one open and one closed, i think the hd800's will do for the open, but not sure if i should pick one of the two closed ones i have already or stump up for the t5p's.

anyone have experience with op amp rolling and suggestions for sound stage improvements?

anyone have t5p's and can compare them to others with a focus on sound stage?

anyone know any wider sounding or 3d style closed phones that i have overlooked?

probably millions of these on youtube but quite a good comparision of pc overwatch atmos and creative's sbx at 33%
link
atmos sands pretty good, i get easier cues for front and back from the sbx though, i think im not a pro dolby guy, or one of my ears don't work! :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #36,307 of 48,578
As for op-amp rolling, read the earfonia's comparison on the main X7 thread and/or my reviews op-amp reviews as these were all done using an X7.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #36,308 of 48,578
As for op-amp rolling, read the earfonia's comparison on the main X7 thread and/or my reviews op-amp reviews as these were all done using an X7.

Thanks,

yea i bought the 797's based on that x7 post, i had the others already at home, ill look at your posts, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #36,309 of 48,578
Can we get some ratings on the Ether C? 
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a comfortable headphone i can wear for hours without heat and great for competitve and nice sounding overall.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #36,310 of 48,578
Hello All,

I am currently using my HD600 with my Valhalla 2 and modi 2 uber for gaming, and even though they are very good, I want something better in terms of soundstage, and maybe a little more impact. The HD600 are very nice, and the pairing with the Valhalla 2 provides an incredible imaging. I went back to the Sony Gold Wireless headset and I simply can't stand them after the HD600. It became impossible for me to know the exact position of the sounds/tangos, something that was incredibly precise with the HD600.

After reading this very nice post from MAd Lust ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added ) I have it narrowed down to the Senheiser Game One headset, the Beyerdynamic DT990, AKG702 and AKG  K612Pro. 

A lot of people have recommended the Beyers to me, because I really like the Klipsch sound signature, and some say they spiked treble may provide the attack and sparkle I love from my Klipsch speakers. 

The sennheiser headset probably made the list because even though I have a microphone setup with a couple mixer with my PS4, sometimes some noise bother my friends playing with me in the party/chat. They made the list because of the convenience they could provide with the mic not picking up all sounds in the room. 

What do you think?

Who have tried all these in the list?

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #36,311 of 48,578
  Can we get some ratings on the Ether C Flow? 
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a comfortable headphone i can wear for hours without heat and great for competitve and nice sounding overall.

None whatsoever.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #36,312 of 48,578
Can we get some ratings on the Ether C Flow? :D

There are very few FLOW models in the wild at the moment. Your best bet would be to read up on the impressions thread.

The C Flows appear to be a better low end response than the C's. Again, there are very few members with these in their possession as MrSpeakers is still waiting on packaging to ship out the first run, and even fewer with the recommended 200 hours of burn-in prescribed by Dan (of MrSpeakers).

Dan claims that the open model will have a larger soundstage and less sub bass than the closed FLOW, so take that for whatever it is worth.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #36,313 of 48,578
well, he can improve on the Flow with Version 1.1 or 1.1b. Maybe the Flow 1.3a has better soundstage depth and Flow 1.5.1 Beta Build 3 adds a nice left-right extension. 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #36,314 of 48,578
well, he can improve on the Flow with Version 1.1 or 1.1b. Maybe the Flow 1.3a has better soundstage depth and Flow 1.5.1 Beta Build 3 adds a nice left-right extension. :evil:

I'm game if the upgrades are available to all for under $10 a pop, like 1.1.

Admittedly, I have an Ether C Flow on order, so I'm hoping that they're as good as the pre-release hype has indicated thus far.

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #36,315 of 48,578

None whatsoever.

There are very few FLOW models in the wild at the moment. Your best bet would be to read up on the impressions thread.

The C Flows appear to be a better low end response than the C's. Again, there are very few members with these in their possession as MrSpeakers is still waiting on packaging to ship out the first run, and even fewer with the recommended 200 hours of burn-in prescribed by Dan (of MrSpeakers).

Dan claims that the open model will have a larger soundstage and less sub bass than the closed FLOW, so take that for whatever it is worth.

Oops i meant some ratings for Ether C (NOT FLOW).

He has written a nice review but where are the ratings (Fun, Competitive, Comfort,) for a nice and quick comparison with the other headphones? 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back