Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #33,886 of 48,578
Not going to lie. X7 with the USB dongle for $300 is tempting, enough to maybe put my stubbornness aside. Bad timing for me, though.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #33,887 of 48,578
Anyone tried the ESSENCE HDACC with a PS4 before? The only down side to this would be the lack of a mic? Would think combination be good?

Jan 18, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #33,888 of 48,578
I did look at the X2 but they cost £80 more and based on the review here the K702 are better for competitive FPS, which is my main use.

I just looked at the Astro forums and people seem to be having issues with the TR version, apparently the sound is muffled and low when Dolby is on. I have found a new 2013 MixAmp for sale at half the price of the TR, but doesn't come with any cables. Also I just seen the Blasterx G5 that was mentioned above.

Currently my options:
BlasterX G5 (£130) - Know nothing about it
Astro TR (£110) - May have issues as reported on the Astro forum
Astro 2015 (£100) - Known to hiss
Astro 2013 (£60) - More recommended here. Comes with no cables though, so I will have to source those myself.

I dunno where you heard the 2013 was recommended. That one is very hissy. It's the 2011 that is recommended. The one without the EQ preset button.

Please amend that statement, because no one that I know of has 'recommended' the 2013 Mixamp. Don't want people searching for devices based on false claims.

Problem is, you can't 'search for 2011 Mixamp, because that's a term we made. It's simply known as the Mixamp Pro, (on the first page), and it's the only one other than the very different looking first gen Mixamp that only has two buttons (Power, Dolby Headphone button).

It's also most recommended, because it has a full size optical input AND a Digital Coaxial (which you can use with a toslink to digital coaxial converter) to have two digital inputs connected without having to switch. The 2013 an onward only have one digital input, and some otherwise useless (for me) inputs like stream or daisy chaining.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #33,889 of 48,578
I dunno where you heard the 2013 was recommended. That one is very hissy. It's the 2011 that is recommended. The one without the EQ preset button.

Please amend that statement, because no one that I know of has 'recommended' the 2013 Mixamp. Don't want people searching for devices based on false claims.

I recommend the 2013 Mixamp to those who have large snake collections.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #33,891 of 48,578
Still waiting on these manufacturers to realize that we tend to have more than just ONE device that we wanna use with their gaming amp/dacs. One input is seriously just idiotic.

But since now we're starting to see devices with actual hdmi inputs... perhaps the trend will change. I'd bug one of these companies to send me their hdmi headset, but really not interested until they sell the devices separate from their headsets.

I'm still very interested in DTS-X.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #33,892 of 48,578
Well, the OP says this so it's rather confusing:

"Despite the added hiss compared to the old Mixamp Pro, the 2013 edition is worthwhile unless you absolutely want the least amount of hiss, which then you'll wanna seek out the older 2011 or the even older 2010 edition."

It should probably just say that the 2013 edition isn't recommended at all, to be more clear.

Jan 18, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #33,893 of 48,578
That wouldn't be true. Not recommended at all implies I would suggest people not ever get it. There are various reasons why the 2013 is still viable. Like EQ programming if you're into that. It's not useless. If there wasn't any 2011's available online, I wouldn't be mad with a 2013. Yes, it's inferior sound-wise due to hiss, but so was the Mixamp 5.8 which is also hissy, and I recommend over the 2011 due to the wireless function being awesome.

All I'm implying is that no one here has recommended it MORE than the 2011. Just because I call it worthwhile doesn't mean I recommend it more. It simply means it's still WORTHWHILE to get if you have no Mixamp type device. Iadded "unless you want the least amount of hiss" part because that enough would be a dealbreaker to some, in which they'll definitely look for the older Mixamps, myself included (if the Mixamp 5.8 weren't a thing).

Any Mixamp device is better than none, even if it's hissy. The benefit of virtual surround supersedes anything else.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #33,896 of 48,578
The Mixamp TR that I had did not have any hiss until  you hit like 90% volume.

Just for the record if someone is trying to decide in between them.  I don't know how that compares to the 2011 but based off what people have said about other models I think they must have made some improvements.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #33,897 of 48,578
Bypassed the one input problem by plugging the X7 into my bravia TV instead of the consoles. That way I switch between them by simply switching the input on my tv.

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #33,898 of 48,578
To ALL owners of the X7, especially the X7 LE.

I can hear the PSU buzzing (more higher freq) when the X7 is on. The buzz doesn't affect the HP output but it affects the lineout so using the Valhalla 2 with it I hear the exact same buzz type through the headphones. The Valhalla 2 itself is ok, tested with my Iphone and blu ray player. 
If you want to help me confirm please disconnect everything, have a quiet room. Just turn on the X7 and listen to the PSU. 

thanks

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #33,900 of 48,578
Hey guys, need a little help here. My current setup is the following:

- PS4
- DSS1
- V-Moda M100 + BoomPro
- Xonar U3

The V-Moda M100 + BoomPro is split out to a stereo plug and the microphone plug via its included adapter. The stereo plug goes into the DSS, and the mic plug goes into a USB soundcard on the PS4. (specifically the Xonar U3). What's happening is that if ONLY the stereo adapter is plugged into the DSS, everything sounds fine. However, as soon as I plug the mic in to the USB soundcard, I get a buzzing sound. I'm assuming it's because I now have 2 sources for ground? What's the best way to resolve this issue? Kinda regretting getting a BoomPro now, but a ModMic will end up almost costing me $100 Canadian after shipping and taxes. Any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back