Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 16, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #33,871 of 48,578
  I do understand the niche desire to output a surround digital signal to a more colourful amp. However, I must say I am really impressed at the neutrality and transparency of the x7 with my thx00. Sounds great. The SBX for movies is much more natural to my ears than dolby, I am very glad I bought this device.

Yes it does no question.  

It's funny though I haven't tried SBX with movies yet.  I'm going to have to try that out tonight because I had pretty low expectations for using SBX with movies.  Any settings tips for using it that way.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #33,872 of 48,578
  I do understand the niche desire to output a surround digital signal to a more colourful amp. However, I must say I am really impressed at the neutrality and transparency of the x7 with my thx00. Sounds great. The SBX for movies is much more natural to my ears than dolby, I am very glad I bought this device.

Colourful?

X7 isn't particularly strong amp (on the headphone output). It is non-zero headphone output (it will colour the sound on lower-impedance non-linear cans). Also it's damping factor as such leaves a lot to be desired.

X7 is a colourful as a headphone amp, compared to a decent linear, near-zero impedance powerful headphone amp.

Some of us have something quite a lot better and would like to make use of it. Current X7 drivers do not make this possible, but confine us to the X7 headphone output, which for a computer sound card is good, but leaves wanting.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #33,873 of 48,578
Hi im new here but ive been following this thread for a while.
Im interested in finding out how sbx is for movies.
Im considering either the mixamp tr or sound blaster x g5. Gaming on ps4 but i want to see if they are any good for movies.
My headset is Sennheiser Game One. I will buy a HD 650 ( for music and movies).
Like i said i have been following this thread for some time so I am aware of the mixamp hiss and that the g5 doesnt do surround on ps4 ( it has some sort of simulated speaker surround )
I was about to buy the mixamp until i heard about the g5 , now im confused. Is the G5 really that much better than mixamp tr ?or is it the other way around ?

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #33,874 of 48,578
Yes it does no question.  

It's funny though I haven't tried SBX with movies yet.  I'm going to have to try that out tonight because I had pretty low expectations for using SBX with movies.  Any settings tips for using it that way.

I just kept it 100% sbx and all others off. No need for bass boost on the thx00,though it does work well imo.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #33,875 of 48,578
Hi im new here but ive been following this thread for a while.
Im interested in finding out how sbx is for movies.
Im considering either the mixamp tr or sound blaster x g5. Gaming on ps4 but i want to see if they are any good for movies.
My headset is Sennheiser Game One. I will buy a HD 650 ( for music and movies).
Like i said i have been following this thread for some time so I am aware of the mixamp hiss and that the g5 doesnt do surround on ps4 ( it has some sort of simulated speaker surround )
I was about to buy the mixamp until i heard about the g5 , now im confused. Is the G5 really that much better than mixamp tr ?or is it the other way around ?

G5 is supposed to receive console surround functionality in a firmware update so I''d holf off until that happens.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #33,877 of 48,578
  Really?

Would that allow use with an external DAC/AMP?

If that's the case I'd probably end up selling my X7.

Somebody mentioned it over on the X7 Impressions thread. Appearently the info came from a Creative rep. Yes it would allow use of external dac/amps

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #33,879 of 48,578
Boy am I glad I found this thread. So I was originally going to buy a pair of Astro A50 for the convenience of wireless, but after reading the reviews and thread I thought I better spend my money elsewhere.

I play on Xbox one and I just bought a pair of AKG K702. I cannot seem to find a 2013 MixAmp for sale, so my options right now are MixAmp Pro 2015 or MixAmp Pro TR. Which one do I go for?

Also the settings on my Xbox one are:
Optical audio:
Bitstream out 
Bitstream format:
Dolby Digital

I presume those are correct since they match the diagrams recently posted on this thread. Thanks btw :)

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #33,880 of 48,578
  Boy am I glad I found this thread. So I was originally going to buy a pair of Astro A50 for the convenience of wireless, but after reading the reviews and thread I thought I better spend my money elsewhere.

I play on Xbox one and I just bought a pair of AKG K702. I cannot seem to find a 2013 MixAmp for sale, so my options right now are MixAmp Pro 2015 or MixAmp Pro TR. Which one do I go for?

Optical audio:
Bitstream out 
Bitstream format:
Dolby Digital

I presume those are correct since they match the diagrams recently posted on this thread. Thanks btw :)

Based on what other people told me about older mix amps the TR version has a much higher ceiling for getting the hiss.

One thing I'd mention to is that AKG's are fairly power hungry.  Might look at something like Fidelio X2s.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #33,881 of 48,578

Optical audio:
Bitstream out 
Bitstream format:
Dolby Digital

The TR version would be much more convenient since it uses USB for chat (which You have to plug in anyway for power) so less cable clutter. Set it to Dolby Digital and You're set.
Now that You've metioned it, I have to draw another diagram just for the TR version.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #33,883 of 48,578
Can someone do a direct comparison between mixamp tr and sound blasterx g5 ?
Since they are both in the same price range , they compete with each other.

I bought a SB G5, so I can give a good set of impressions when I get it, including how well it works with my Bimby + Valhalla 2.

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #33,884 of 48,578

Based on what other people told me about older mix amps the TR version has a much higher ceiling for getting the hiss.

One thing I'd mention to is that AKG's are fairly power hungry.  Might look at something like Fidelio X2s.

I did look at the X2 but they cost £80 more and based on the review here the K702 are better for competitive FPS, which is my main use.

The TR version would be much more convenient since it uses USB for chat (which You have to plug in anyway for power) so less cable clutter. Set it to Dolby Digital and You're set.
Now that You've metioned it, I have to draw another diagram just for the TR version.

I just looked at the Astro forums and people seem to be having issues with the TR version, apparently the sound is muffled and low when Dolby is on. I have found a new 2013 MixAmp for sale at half the price of the TR, but doesn't come with any cables. Also I just seen the Blasterx G5 that was mentioned above.

Currently my options:
BlasterX G5 (£130) - Know nothing about it
Astro TR (£110) - May have issues as reported on the Astro forum
Astro 2015 (£100) - Known to hiss
Astro 2013 (£60) - More recommended here. Comes with no cables though, so I will have to source those myself.

EDIT: Above statement is wrong, 2013 hisses a lot apparently. 2011 MixAmp without the EQ button is the recommended one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back