Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 18, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,271 of 48,578
I see. Are there any clip on mics that have a mute button accessible in a reasonable place. And thanks. That's great advice. I just kind of want the best of both worlds. Good immersion and competitive edge. I guess that is hard to find. Plugging and unplugging the mic repeatedly could become problematic or even mess up the port the more I think about it. I just don't want to feel I could of got a better set of cans... SQ wise if I wasn't lazy and didn't do a mic mod. Lol man who would of thought so much thought would go into a pair of headphones/headsets.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #3,272 of 48,578
Well at the end of the day, are these purchases just for gaming, or music with gaming being a plus? As I've stated before, gaming alone might not always be worth the significant difference in price, especially when sacrificing functionality.

If you don't have the extra cash to just drop on the DT 990 + a mic, and never really intend to use them for music listening, I wouldn't feel the least bit discontent with the PC360.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #3,273 of 48,578

Quote:

MLE, (or anyone else who's heard both >) we've heard MANY of the same headphones
wink_face.gif
  - what's your quick take on K70x and Dt990 in regards to soundstage performance and treble?  You could use the PC360s as a reference, or any of the other ones in my sig which you've probably heard as well.  Also are the Dt990 cups deeper than other Beyers?  I thought I read that somewhere...

For me, K702 with Lyr sounded as good (bass department) as dt990 with E9

i never had any problems with treble on k702 nor dt990 (yeah.. i'm deaf)

regarding gaming, the bass of dt990 sounded superb on single player, but was clear enough for multiplayer. No complains on immersion or clarity with dt990

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3,274 of 48,578

Quote:
When using an external mic with the Mixamp, you will need to either mute in-game if your mic doesn't have its own muting function or unplug the mic.

Or buy a controller cable with a mute switch.  I have both of these 2.5mm turble beach cables and can confirm they work with the mixamp and mute external mics. 

http://store.turtlebeach.com/cabx1talkbackcable-2.aspx
http://store.turtlebeach.com/cabx31x41talkbackcableoptional.aspx

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #3,276 of 48,578

Quote:

What X-Fi device are you using, what games are you playing, and what's your Windows speaker setting?

-First off, I doubt any X-Fi device without Game Mode (such as the XtremeAudio cards and any external USB devices) can do proper CMSS-3D Headphone.
-Second, games with software audio engines read the Windows speaker setting to decide how to pre-mix sounds. If it's set to stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1, you're not giving CMSS-3D 

Is XFi Titanium good enough? I play BF3 and I plug a pair of DT 880s directly to the sound card.

By the way, Mad Lust Envy, should I exchange my DT 880s for a pair or DT 990s to get better immersion in games. I play for fun for the most part.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #3,277 of 48,578
OK, I've done a **** load of reading over the last week or two.
confused_face%281%29.gif

I've made a decision, almost, sort of, not really.....
My head hurts.

Planned set up:

Xonar DG --> AD700 or A700 (haven't decided yet)

From what I've read the Xonar will power both of these fine without needing another amp.
Please confirm?

MLE's earlier mention about DH and double amping has confused me a little.
I will get DH fine without the need to double amp.
Please confirm?

MLE and all others that have posted here, thank you for all your time, it has stopped me making another uninformed and pretty much dumb purchase.
atsmile.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #3,278 of 48,578
Quote:
Planned set up:

From what I've read the Xonar will power both of these fine without needing another amp.
Please confirm?

Fixed. And yes, Audio Technica's are made to not need an amp. In fact, the Xonar has an amp already built in, so you're set either way already.

Quote:
Please confirm?

Irrelevant in your case and means nothing unless you plan to add a dedicated external amplifier to the mix, which would be pointless.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #3,279 of 48,578

Quote:
OK, I've done a **** load of reading over the last week or two.
confused_face%281%29.gif

I've made a decision, almost, sort of, not really.....
My head hurts.

Planned set up:

Please confirm?

Please confirm?

MLE and all others that have posted here, thank you for all your time, it has stopped me making another uninformed and pretty much dumb purchase.
atsmile.gif

Anything will power the AD700s adequately.  The A700s are closed, and from what I've read have a messier soundstage.

Going off your BF3 avatar, I'm inclined to suggest something other than the AD700s for you, as they won't deliver the immersion or fun of some other headphones.  The positioning they will deliver, if thats all you care about.  Of course given a sub $100 budget, your options get limited....

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #3,280 of 48,578
Is XFi Titanium good enough? I play BF3 and I plug a pair of DT 880s directly to the sound card.

By the way, Mad Lust Envy, should I exchange my DT 880s for a pair or DT 990s to get better immersion in games. I play for fun for the most part.

Definitely. If you play mostly fun, the DT990 is an easy recommendation.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #3,281 of 48,578
Got my mixamp, hooked up to AD700s, its amazing how the Dolby Headphone opened the headphones up for FPS gaming. Im killing more people before they can knife me now in BF3, yay!

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #3,282 of 48,578
I'm sort of in the same boat.  I haven't really used my PC360s since I've gotten the Q701s.  The antlion mod mic is working well, and I'm not sure I need to keep a dedicated headset around anymore  :\

Hmm.....maybe I should sell the PC360s....  Q701s are pretty good for immersion for me.  I don't find them sound cold or thin at all.  In fact, they have a thicker/punchier sound then most of the headphones I've tried, next to the CALs and DT880s.  They have more bass with the mixamp with bass boost off than the PC360s with bass boost turned on.  They have a much taller soundstage than PC360s and everything sounds bigger (not soundstage size, but object size - like it images objects to be bigger/taller/etc.)  Things sounds smaller/shorter/thinner on the PC360.  Q701 also does better with close/center soundstage than PC360s.

It sounds ridiculous, but I kind of want to compare the K70x and Q701.  Some say the Q701 has smaller soundstage, but also more accurate.  I have a feeling they are slightly warmer and more punchy than the K70x, but I'm still intrigued by the tempting promise of MOAR Soundstage LoL.  I could also pick up some DT990s or something, though I'm still a bit afraid of the treble and bass being too much......hmmmmmm

MLE, (or anyone else who's heard both >) we've heard MANY of the same headphones
wink_face.gif
  - what's your quick take on K70x and Dt990 in regards to soundstage performance and treble?  You could use the PC360s as a reference, or any of the other ones in my sig which you've probably heard as well.  Also are the Dt990 cups deeper than other Beyers?  I thought I read that somewhere...

The DT990's have a very open soundstage. It's not AD700 huge, but it's a bit smaller than the K701 in DH mode. The K701 has the widest soundtstage in stereo, but the AD700 opens up more in Dolby Headphone. The DT990 won't fail to impress, considering the bass would make you think it should sound more closed. I would say it's about as big as the PC360s, if not just maybe a teensy bit smaller, but it's close.

In terms of treble, while the DT990 is up there, the bass tends to flesh it out a little. the K701 doesn't get as harsh as the DT990, but it also doesn't have as much bass, so the mids and treble seem to be more prominent at times.

If you're okay with the DT880's treble, just expect a little more. But it really isn't bad especially for gaming. I honestly felt the AD700 to be quite a bit harsher when playing games.

The cups are all the same on the premium Beyers. I would think the DT770 gives you the most cup depth due to the pads not being as squishy as the DT880/990s. Expect the same feel as the DT880s.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #3,283 of 48,578
double post

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #3,284 of 48,578

Quote:

Fixed. And yes, Audio Technica's are made to not need an amp. In fact, the Xonar has an amp already built in, so you're set either way already.

Irrelevant in your case and means nothing unless you plan to add a dedicated external amplifier to the mix, which would be pointless.

I see you disapprove of the A700's. I may need closed, hope not but am concerned about sound leakage.

Quote:
Anything will power the AD700s adequately.  The A700s are closed, and from what I've read have a messier soundstage.

Going off your BF3 avatar, I'm inclined to suggest something other than the AD700s for you, as they won't deliver the immersion or fun of some other headphones.  The positioning they will deliver, if thats all you care about.  Of course given a sub $100 budget, your options get limited....

That's concerning. How bad is the immersion likely to be?
Can the limited bass be corrected with EQ?
I'm currently using TB PX5's but if no one here has heard them, that won't help as a comparison.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #3,285 of 48,578

Quote:
The DT990's have a very open soundstage. It's not AD700 huge, but it's a bit smaller than the K701 in DH mode. The K701 has the widest soundtstage in stereo, but the AD700 opens up more in Dolby Headphone. The DT990 won't fail to impress, considering the bass would make you think it should sound more closed. I would say it's about as big as the PC360s, if not just maybe a teensy bit smaller, but it's close.
In terms of treble, while the DT990 is up there, the bass tends to flesh it out a little. the K701 doesn't get as harsh as the DT990, but it also doesn't have as much bass, so the mids and treble seem to be more prominent at times.
If you're okay with the DT880's treble, just expect a little more. But it really isn't bad especially for gaming. I honestly felt the AD700 to be quite a bit harsher when playing games.
The cups are all the same on the premium Beyers. I would think the DT770 gives you the most cup depth due to the pads not being as squishy as the DT880/990s. Expect the same feel as the DT880s.

Head-fi is not letting me edit my double post above
mad.gif

Well, I was fine with the DT880 treble.  It had a bit of sparkle, but nothing major.  The DH DSP also tends to gloss over the highs slightly.  The DT880s sounded good, but could have used a bigger soundstage.    I agree that AD700 could get pretty abrasive on some games, probably due in part of the lack of bass and upper mid frequencies to flesh out the sound.

High emphasis gives a better sense of air IMO, something the AD700s excelled at.  I'm betting the DT990s can give some decent air too.  The Q701 are a little darker, but they have good separation still. 

I like tight bass (< remove one letter and that sounds really dirty :xf_eek:) which the Dt880s were good at, but I'm willing to experiment with the infamous dt990.  If the bass gets out of the way pretty quickly, it may be fine.

The earpads unfortunately may be a deal breaker.  I seem to remember the Dt880s cramping my ears a tad.

Well regardless, its either those or some K70x to compare with my Q701s.  I've tried the most of the others, and nothing else really checks the boxes for me until you get to "too expensive" headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back