Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,301 of 48,578
Will the lower OHM DT 990s perform worst than the higher ones? Also, my order is placed! I got the PC 360s and the mixamp 5.8 wireless. If I'm not satisfied with the PC 360s I can just return them. But I feel I will be, as my first pair of headphones were the SOny PC official wireless headset..good value.. but SQ isn't great.

I was wondering, does anyone know how long it takes for astro to ship? I picked the residential $14 shipping. And I live in the United States. I ask because I don't want to pay 2 day shipping for my headset from amazon if I won't receive my mixamp until next week.

Quote:
Not if you get the 32 ohm version.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #3,302 of 48,578
The lower ohm Beyers are just very slightly inferior. They are more versatile in what equipment you use with them though. Better to amp a low ohm properly than underamp the 600ohms.

Telling you, aside from the bass and soundstage, the DT990 Pro 250ohm and 600ohm sounded pretty much the same. The Pro clamps more so the bass was a little stronger and soundstage was very slightly smaller, but positioning was better to me.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,303 of 48,578

Quote:

Samson SR850, the supposed king (never heard them myself) of budget headphones, for both immersive and competetive gaming and music. I just bought a pair, hope they're as good as people describe, should be here by the end of the week. I'll post my impressions after I get a chance to hear them and compare to my AD700.

Please do post impressions.  And be brutally honest.  I need a cheap headphone I can recommend out to gamer friends, and for $50 they may actually buy them.  I can't convince many friends to buy >$100 headphones for gaming :\ 

People keep recommending those Samsons and it be nice to confirm that they're the real deal and not FOTM.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3,304 of 48,578
Well, it seems the DT990/600 has less bass than the pro's, and faster, tighter bass.  That'd be the one I'd want.  I don't want any slow mid-bass up in my soundstage. 

It's weird that you (MLE) think the pros have better positioning then the 600s
confused_face.gif
  Oh well, I don't care - the 600's still have more pros then cons when compared to the Pros.  Haha, more pros then the Pros. 

I think I'll sell the PC360s and get the DT990/600s....I think.....
tongue_smile.gif
   Someone nudge me!!

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,305 of 48,578
Just, I felt the godly positioning in the DT770 Pro 80 was the best... and the 990 Pros give me the same vibe. Must have something to do with the clamp.

If I were to rate positioning:

990 Pros: 10
990/600: 8.5

The 990/600 is literally enough for all forms of gaming. Jack of all trades, with extra fun, master of none. SQ is definitely superior to the PC360, so as long as you can handle the treble (which is a non-issue for DH gaming), its worth it.

I really wanna try the T70/T70p, but I feel they are overpriced...

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,306 of 48,578
Well, I exchanged my DT880s for a pair of DT990/600s yesterday evening and tried them with BF3. I got mixed feelings about them. One one hand, the explosions sound really, really impressive, on the other hand, that impressive bass is kinda overkill. In the first flying mission of the single player campaign, there's a part just after taking off when the music kicks in, I fondly remember how inspirational and uplifting it sounded with just normal headphones, but with DT990s the bass is just too much it drowns out everything and that part sounds like a big mess. Meh...

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3,307 of 48,578

Awesome small review on the Sony PS3 headset. How would you compare it SQ wise, soundstage, and immersion compared to the PC 360+mixamp. I ask because that is the only headset I've tried, the PS3 sony one that is.
Quote:
The Sony PS3 headset actually, I can't say anything bad about. I got one for Christmas, and for less than half the cost of a Mixamp + AD700 you get:

- PS3 + PC compatibility
- True digital wireless. No clutter like the Wireless Mixamp 5.8
- Built-in Microphone with Game/Voice ratio adjustment (the same as Mixamp)
- 7.1 Virtual surround sound. Good positioning. Sounds more processed than Mixamp, can be turned off for regular stereo.
- On-screen battery/mic/volume indicator

The leakage is quite low for my uses. I played for several hours a few times with my wife sleeping next to me, and she had no idea I even had the TV and system on. Granted, I had the volume all the way down, but that's as loud as I need it really.

Before I forget, let me say that I own the Wired Mixamp, AD700, DT 880, and Ultrasone PRO 900's. All which I have experience in gaming.

I'm actually quite surprisingly pleased with my PS3 headset. I was considering writing a mini-review comparison either here or in a new thread, if there is enough interest for it. Will it compare to the Mixamp + AD700 or insert audiophile headphone here? No. But again, for $79, and not needing a Mixamp or Dolby Headphone box of some kind, you get a lot of functionality and value.

I think Sony has noticed gamers are using products like the Mixamp and our own headphones, and they've given us a very affordable convenience product for those who aren't ready to take the audiophile dive.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,308 of 48,578
Well, I exchanged my DT880s for a pair of DT990/600s yesterday evening and tried them with BF3. I got mixed feelings about them. One one hand, the explosions sound really, really impressive, on the other hand, that impressive bass is kinda overkill. In the first flying mission of the single player campaign, there's a part just after taking off when the music kicks in, I fondly remember how inspirational and uplifting it sounded with just normal headphones, but with DT990s the bass is just too much it drowns out everything and that part sounds like a big mess. Meh...

Hope to god you're not using one of those weird in game presets.

Dunno what you expect. The DT990 is literally like a DT880 EQ-ed for more bass and treble.

Listen to them with more than just battlefield. I dunno how the DT990 can drown out any detail as its bass is one of the very best in terms ofbeing strong, but tight and way from bleeding into details like most bassy cans. Hell, it does a better job than the D7000 in staying away from smothering detail.

It sounds like you have the sound bass boosted already.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3,309 of 48,578
Quote:
Will the lower OHM DT 990s perform worst than the higher ones?

Quote:
The lower ohm Beyers are just very slightly inferior. They are more versatile in what equipment you use with them though.

Very true, but the performance difference margin is hardly distinguishable (if at all) in music; so in gaming there's no sense in going for 250/600 ohms if an amplifier isn't already part of your setup (or you plan to get an amp for music later).

My DT 880 is 32 ohms and is perfect when plugged directly into the Mixamp.

Quote:
Awesome small review on the Sony PS3 headset. How would you compare it SQ wise, soundstage, and immersion compared to the PC 360+mixamp. I ask because that is the only headset I've tried, the PS3 sony one that is.

I have no personal experience with the PC 360, but the closest thing I can compare is the budget king: The AD700.

Clarity and soundstage, the AD700 wipes the floor with the PS3 headset. However, I feel that it can be close to, or equally immersing on some level as for one thing the PS3 headset has over the AD700 is bass.

The isolation is decent which also adds to the immersion factor that open back headphones usually lack if you have others in the room like in the event of a LAN party.

I would definitely recommend the headset to any casual or budget gamers. And for the price, performance, and functionality, Sony's PS3 Wireless Headset gets my Head-Fi stamp of approval.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3,310 of 48,578

Quote:
Hope to god you're not using one of those weird in game presets.
Dunno what you expect. The DT990 is literally like a DT880 EQ-ed for more bass and treble.
Listen to them with more than just battlefield. I dunno how the DT990 can drown out any detail as its bass is one of the very best in terms ofbeing strong, but tight and way from bleeding into details like most bassy cans. Hell, it does a better job than the D7000 in staying away from smothering detail.
It sounds like you have the sound bass boosted already.

I tried both with positional 3D settings on and just plain normal stereo settings. Could be my setup though, because I don't have an amp yet. I plugged them directly to the sound card, and they are 600 ohm ones.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #3,311 of 48,578
Thanks Riku. I appreciate the awesome info and comparisons. I wonder if the PS3 sony headset can provide Surround sound on a PC? It's just the click of a button with the PS3. But the PC won't have that on screen notification. Hmmm.That's funny that the Sony headset has more bass. I guess because of the isolation, like you said. One thing I did struggle with at first was talking into the mic. I was not use to my ears being closed off. I got sort of use to it though. I am definitely looking forward my open PC 360s. It will feel like old times where I can hear my own voice.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3,312 of 48,578
I tried both with positional 3D settings on and just plain normal stereo settings. Could be my setup though, because I don't have an amp yet. I plugged them directly to the sound card, and they are 600 ohm ones.

600ohm...no amp.

My mind is full of...

You might wanna fix that, quickly. Ampless, the DT990 has flabby bass.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #3,313 of 48,578
Funny thing about the AD700's: I was running them out of my iPhone, I was holding it in front of me and I locked it and I had the distinct impression that the lock sound came out of the phone.  

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #3,314 of 48,578
Just got a pair of Q701's today.  Immediate impression are that they are basically the ad700's but better in every way.  

Driver speed seems a slight step behind my Ortho's.  These things have amazing midbass compared to the AD700's.  Instrument separation is far better on the Q701's.  Sub bass quantity is slightly increased over the AD700's, but the better separation on the q701 makes the bass quantity seem increased overall.  I thought the AD700's had the perfect amount of bass, but this is better.  Not a basshead.  I hated the m50's.  

Will get some gaming in to see how the soundstage is in games.  

Many people find that the q701's sound different than the k701/702's.  I like the sound of these for sure with no burn in, but I doubt that will have any effect.  I believe in brain burn in not driver burn in.  

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #3,315 of 48,578

Quote:
Just got a pair of Q701's today.  Immediate impression are that they are basically the ad700's but better in every way.  

Driver speed seems a slight step behind my Ortho's.  These things have amazing midbass compared to the AD700's.  Instrument separation is far better on the Q701's.  Sub bass quantity is slightly increased over the AD700's, but the better separation on the q701 makes the bass quantity seem increased overall.  I thought the AD700's had the perfect amount of bass, but this is better.  Not a basshead.  I hated the m50's.  

Will get some gaming in to see how the soundstage is in games.  

Many people find that the q701's sound different than the k701/702's.  I like the sound of these for sure with no burn in, but I doubt that will have any effect.  I believe in brain burn in not driver burn in.  

Q701s are my definite favorite so far.  Compared to AD700s they are darker and MUCH meatier sounding, but they still pull off a large soundstage with great seperation.  A very cool combination.  It's funny, when I had the AD700s, I would EQ them to sound like the Q701s do naturally, boosting the bass/mid-bass and rolling off the treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back