Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #3,256 of 48,578

Completely agree. People often forget, or don't even consider that game sounds aren't produced to the same standards and quality music is. Consider the amount of content to the game, and the actual amount of space it takes up on a disc or your hard drive. Clearly, sound is highly compressed; a $1000+ setup is overkill to buy for something game developers more often than not do not break their backs over perfecting.

Oh, haithar MLE. I'm back btw.

I was gonna leave when I got all my new stuff and posted thorough impressions, but you make me wanna stay. :xf_eek:

You complete me.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #3,257 of 48,578

Quote:

Completely agree. People often forget, or don't even consider that game sounds aren't produced to the same standards and quality music is. Consider the amount of content to the game, and the actual amount of space it takes up on a disc or your hard drive. Clearly, sound is highly compressed; a $1000+ setup is overkill to buy for something game developers more often than not do not break their backs over perfecting.

Oh, haithar MLE. I'm back btw.

X2

amen to that :)

I double amped using Black Ops with K702 and DT990, and I didn't noticed a change in the sound... well... Black Ops sounds is terrible to begin with...

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3,258 of 48,578
Honestly, I think any sub-$300 headphone that's fairly easy or at least reasonable to drive, paired with a Mixamp or DH soundcard pretty much hits the sweet-spot for the price to performance ratio for gaming.

Player skill will be blamed long before their headphone setup. How many of you are still beat by people who play on built-in TV speakers? Don't lie. We know.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3,260 of 48,578
Quote:
X2

amen to that :)

I double amped using Black Ops with K702 and DT990, and I didn't noticed a change in the sound... well... Black Ops sounds is terrible to begin with...

Not to mention, gaming and listening to music have your focus in entirely different places. While gaming, your focus is spread out and your mind is multitasking. When listening to music, your mind is completely focused on that, and every little detail. Chances are, if you're so absorbed into the sound of your game to the point of being like you're listening to music, you're -probably- not paying as good attention as to what's on your screen and enemy radar.

Quote:
Riku, you still have BLOPS on PS3? I wanna play with you.

I do, but I've rotted away from CoD for almost a year now. I'm completely useless, unless your intent is to get a good laugh at how bad I am.

If only I could equip Unrelenting Force to my loadout...

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3,261 of 48,578
It'll come back to you. We gotta get on. I jumped in after many months and just destroyed.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,262 of 48,578

Wish I could say the same. I have a clan and communication is crucial.
Quote:
In terms of immersion, the DT990 destroys the PC360. I couldn't see myself with just the PC360 for both competitive and immersive gaming.
To be honest, I've been using just the DT990s lately. Only when I feel the need to chat, do I use the PC360, which is pretty much never now.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3,263 of 48,578
I'll stick with the PC 360 for now because of the soundstage and positional accuracy. In 6 months time I will decide on a set of cans for immersion.

To conclude, I will be placing my orders within 1-2 days. I just want to make sure I order all the right stuff so I don't incur double shipping costs. If I'm missing anything from this list please correct. :)

To buy: from amazon or another website: PC360 headset,  from Astro: Astro mixamp 5.8 (wireless), Ps3 chat cable, rechargeable battery pack

The mixamp wireless comes with a 3' optical cable. I presume if I need anymore range I can purchase an optical cable at Wal Mart or Radio shack instead of buying Astro's overpriced cable? I think that is it..I may stop by best buy or somewhere to get a headset case to carry my stuff around.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,264 of 48,578

Quote:
I haven't not been able to test rear sound positioning because my Xonar DG hasn't arrived yet, currently I only have XFi virtual surround and it had never been impressive, I cannot tell the difference amongst any position to the rear, plus many sounds just seem 'central' no matter where they are from. I really hope that Dolby Headphones is much better.

What X-Fi device are you using, what games are you playing, and what's your Windows speaker setting?

-First off, I doubt any X-Fi device without Game Mode (such as the XtremeAudio cards and any external USB devices) can do proper CMSS-3D Headphone.
-Second, games with software audio engines read the Windows speaker setting to decide how to pre-mix sounds. If it's set to stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1, you're not giving CMSS-3D any surround channels to work with!
-Third, some games just seem to mix their sounds without any real sense of directionality. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 comes to mind.
-Finally, maybe your personal HRTF is too different from the generic one used by CMSS-3D Headphone, and the effect just falls apart. Dolby Headphone may not fare any better. In this case, the only solution is a Smyth Realiser...sorry about your wallet.

It's kind of strange how many different impressions people get regarding this sort of thing. With software audio-based games (XAudio2, FMOD), they perform about evenly to where DH is a viable option if that's all you play. With hardware audio-based games (DirectSound3D, OpenAL), CMSS-3D Headphone has a tremendous positional edge over Dolby Headphone since it's simulating the game environment itself instead of a speaker system.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #3,265 of 48,578

Quote:
The mixamp wireless comes with a 3' optical cable. I presume if I need anymore range I can purchase an optical cable at Wal Mart or Radio shack instead of buying Astro's overpriced cable?

Try monoprice  > http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

But get one of the standard black ones, NOT the silver "premium" ones as they are pretty heavy and can damage delicate optical jacks.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3,266 of 48,578

Quote:
I couldn't see myself with just the PC360 for both competitive and immersive gaming.
To be honest, I've been using just the DT990s lately. Only when I feel the need to chat, do I use the PC360, which is pretty much never now.

I'm sort of in the same boat.  I haven't really used my PC360s since I've gotten the Q701s.  The antlion mod mic is working well, and I'm not sure I need to keep a dedicated headset around anymore  :\

Hmm.....maybe I should sell the PC360s....  Q701s are pretty good for immersion for me.  I don't find them sound cold or thin at all.  In fact, they have a thicker/punchier sound then most of the headphones I've tried, next to the CALs and DT880s.  They have more bass with the mixamp with bass boost off than the PC360s with bass boost turned on.  They have a much taller soundstage than PC360s and everything sounds bigger (not soundstage size, but object size - like it images objects to be bigger/taller/etc.)  Things sounds smaller/shorter/thinner on the PC360.  Q701 also does better with close/center soundstage than PC360s.

It sounds ridiculous, but I kind of want to compare the K70x and Q701.  Some say the Q701 has smaller soundstage, but also more accurate.  I have a feeling they are slightly warmer and more punchy than the K70x, but I'm still intrigued by the tempting promise of MOAR Soundstage LoL.  I could also pick up some DT990s or something, though I'm still a bit afraid of the treble and bass being too much......hmmmmmm

MLE, (or anyone else who's heard both >) we've heard MANY of the same headphones
wink_face.gif
  - what's your quick take on K70x and Dt990 in regards to soundstage performance and treble?  You could use the PC360s as a reference, or any of the other ones in my sig which you've probably heard as well.  Also are the Dt990 cups deeper than other Beyers?  I thought I read that somewhere...

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3,267 of 48,578
Would you guys say the DT 990s are good for immersion and competitive gaming? I don't want to be disappointed if the immersion on the PC 360s is horrible. Is a mod mic that hard to implement? If not I may go with those instead. Would you say the MMX 300s have better immersion and still decent directional ques?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3,268 of 48,578

Quote:
 I don't want to be disappointed if the immersion on the PC 360s is horrible. Is a mod mic that hard to implement?

PC360s aren't horrible for immersion.  Just not as good as the >$200 headphones, which is to be expected.

The mod mic is pretty easy to setup.  You just have to stick it on the headphone and bend the boom to reach your mouth. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,269 of 48,578

What about functionality though??? like Muting and stuff?
Quote:
PC360s aren't horrible for immersion.  Just not as good as the >$200 headphones, which is to be expected.

The mod mic is pretty easy to setup.  You just have to stick it on the headphone and bend the boom to reach your mouth. 

So would you say DT 990s or the K70x's are better than PC 360 with a mic modding onto them? I ask because I do not think there is a big difference in price between the DT 990s and the PC 360s, not sure about the K70x's though. Why not get the best SQ matched with directional ques for gaming. That way I have one can that can do it all?

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #3,270 of 48,578
I believe the PC360's will mute the mic when in the up position, and has it's own volume dial on the side.

When using an external mic with the Mixamp, you will need to either mute in-game if your mic doesn't have its own muting function or unplug the mic.

Make your choice based on what functionalities are most important to you. Integrated mic solutions can be quite nice, and very few of them are priced reasonably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back