Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #26,522 of 48,579

I'll give that a try - it's the only thing I have yet to test.

the X7 can't come soon enough. that would really be a solid All-in-One solution

/ why is FiiO not entering this market :frowning2:

There was a petition for fiio to make a DSP like Mixamp but with much better quality components and more features but they shot id down due to development and licensing costs.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #26,523 of 48,579
  There was a petition for fiio to make a DSP like Mixamp but with much better quality components and more features but they shot id down due to development and licensing costs.

I see. oh well. guess we really have to look to Creative for the answer.

I'm actually pretty tempted to get an Antlion ModMic to see if it is any better than the Boompro

and I'm curious to see how many people will sell their setup/Mixamp when the X7 turns up

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #26,524 of 48,579
Go to the Ps4 audio settings, and change the headset to chat only. You can then use the voice/game knob of the Mixamp to change the volumes. Of course, I mean by having the chat cable between the PS4 controller and the Mixamp's controller input. I dunno how it works when using the voice chat from the Mixamp's USB, and not the controller.

Thanks for the reply Mad, i had it already to chat only, for some reason the knob that says game/voice, i thought it was a microphone boost.... but you are right, as soon as i started to play with it, it did exactly what i was looking, it balanaces the chat and game, and now its prefect, i no longer have the game overpowering the chat =)

Mixamps hiss. It is embedded in the signal. You can take a million steps, the hiss will remain. Insensitive headphones/high impedance/low noise floor headphones will reduce the hiss to very low levels. I.e. very hard to hear hiss with the HE400.
Is the hiss present with all MixAmps? personally i dont hear it on my combo, Mixamp2011 + Phillips X1 + Vmoda Boompro, or maybe i dont hear that well anymore =)

and I'm curious to see how many people will sell their setup/Mixamp when the X7 turns up

Its way to expensive to the direct competition, im planning on getting one for sure, but not to replace my PS4 mixamp setup, but for my PC for not using a PCIe slot and going SLI.  I honestly think for what you can get an used mixamp, its more than fair for a good setup for the PS4.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #26,525 of 48,579

I see. oh well. guess we really have to look to Creative for the answer.

I'm actually pretty tempted to get an Antlion ModMic to see if it is any better than the Boompro

Most of them. It is pricey but if I manage to sell my entire setup I should be able to afford it with ease. One device instead of four, better quality overall (better than mixamp, not sure how it compares to Modi) and the ability to connect passive speakers trumps anything Astro can offer.

As for the Modmic, there are no downsides to this product as far as the quality goes. I've seen some pople attaching it permanently to their headphones and putting both cables in a sleeve to make it look nicer. Might try that one day.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #26,526 of 48,579
The 2011 Mixamp has the least hiss of all Mixamps with usb chat capabilities. The 1st gen Mixamp is the most silent, but no usb chat.

Updated the guide with the t51 link to headphone.guru for the full review with basic scoring on the guide, since I know how you guys love to not read anything but scores. :angry_face:.

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #26,527 of 48,579
Most of them. It is pricey but if I manage to sell my entire setup I should be able to afford it with ease. One device instead of four, better quality overall (better than mixamp, not sure how it compares to Modi) and the ability to connect passive speakers trumps anything Astro can offer.

As for the Modmic, there are no downsides to this product as far as the quality goes. I've seen some pople attaching it permanently to their headphones and putting both cables in a sleeve to make it look nicer. Might try that one day.

The only bigger debate is if you like SBX over DH. I just bought the ZxR and i much prefer it over DH now anyways although i cant use it atm as I'm waiting for these gtx 970s to come in stock already :rolleyes:

I also prefer USB mic that sits on my desk

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #26,528 of 48,579
I came across discounted Fostex TH600, US$424 / £265 for a brand spanking new set; would it be a gross crime against everything that is pure and holy to NOT buy these at this price? The projected use would be 90% pc-gaming with an occasional movie thrown in for good measure. My current banger is Qpad QH-1339 aka Beyer MMX-300; surely the TH600 would be an upgrade? I'm driving the Qpads straight from Soundblaster Z's "amplified" headphone-out but could consider adding a dedicated amp to the loop.

There's also Fidelio X2 going for around the same price but I'm more drawn to the Fostex; am I doing my ears a potential disservice?

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #26,529 of 48,579
  Thanks for the reply Mad, i had it already to chat only, for some reason the knob that says game/voice, i thought it was a microphone boost.... but you are right, as soon as i started to play with it, it did exactly what i was looking, it balanaces the chat and game, and now its prefect, i no longer have the game overpowering the chat =)

Its way to expensive to the direct competition, im planning on getting one for sure, but not to replace my PS4 mixamp setup, but for my PC for not using a PCIe slot and going SLI.  I honestly think for what you can get an used mixamp, its more than fair for a good setup for the PS4.

is the PS4 able to recognize all your voice commands with your setup? any issues?

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #26,530 of 48,579
I came across discounted Fostex TH600, US$424 / £265 for a brand spanking new set; would it be a gross crime against everything that is pure and holy to NOT buy these at this price? The projected use would be 90% pc-gaming with an occasional movie thrown in for good measure. My current banger is Qpad QH-1339 aka Beyer MMX-300; surely the TH600 would be an upgrade? I'm driving the Qpads straight from Soundblaster Z's "amplified" headphone-out but could consider adding a dedicated amp to the loop.

There's also Fidelio X2 going for around the same price but I'm more drawn to the Fostex; am I doing my ears a potential disservice?

I would dive in head first for the TH600 at that price. No question.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #26,533 of 48,579
I did, on a couple of different setups. It sounded wonderful off of the Cavalli Liquid Crimson and I was very impressed with it off of the Geek Pulse. But I'm not sure it's worth a $400 upgrade to me, I have to spend more time on that thought. Afterall, add another $100 and I could snag an HE-400i.

Speaking of, the 400i has improved since I heard it back in the spring. I quite like the new, more refined sound. Cymbals aren't harsh anymore and the bass seems to have been tamed slightly, bringing it more in line with my tastes. And the Oppo PM 1 and 2 no longer sound too laid back with the new pads. Again a nice improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back