Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #26,507 of 48,579
Finally the Astro Mixamp 2011 arrived, and to my initial and very little testing, im happy, it works prefect with a PS4 connecting it via optical and usb, its the prefect combo with the X1 + Vmoda boomPro.  Initially i felt the X1 were a little shallow and not that fun, the bass was very light, but they have gotten a lot better with the MixAmp, at least to my subjective perception, the bass is more tight and present, and the details of the high are more upfront, probably among the best combos i have tested for gaming.  The X1 still not as fun as my Ultrasone Pro 900, but its getting there.

The only thing i need to find out, is that in games like destiny the game sound can dominate the chat, i need to lower some the game sound or increase the chat audio, thats not possible with the mixamp as it increases or decreases everything, but i gotta play more with the PS4 settings, but

Go to the Ps4 audio settings, and change the headset to chat only. You can then use the voice/game knob of the Mixamp to change the volumes. Of course, I mean by having the chat cable between the PS4 controller and the Mixamp's controller input. I dunno how it works when using the voice chat from the Mixamp's USB, and not the controller.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #26,508 of 48,579
Go to the Ps4 audio settings, and change the headset to chat only. You can then use the voice/game knob of the Mixamp to change the volumes. Of course, I mean by having the chat cable between the PS4 controller and the Mixamp's controller input. I dunno how it works when using the voice chat from the Mixamp's USB, and not the controller.

would that setup actually eliminate the hiss? (if we were to plug that USB of the Mixamp into a separate power source as well)?

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #26,509 of 48,579
Mixamps hiss. It is embedded in the signal. You can take a million steps, the hiss will remain. Insensitive headphones/high impedance/low noise floor headphones will reduce the hiss to very low levels. I.e. very hard to hear hiss with the HE400.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #26,513 of 48,579
Loved the font size and lack of diminutive and relatively untolerable link that are coded to consume most websites. Made for a truly palpable read.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #26,514 of 48,579
Mixamps hiss. It is embedded in the signal. You can take a million steps, the hiss will remain. Insensitive headphones/high impedance/low noise floor headphones will reduce the hiss to very low levels. I.e. very hard to hear hiss with the HE400.

I see. that's a real disappointment I guess. I've been reading of some cable by this guy (where he separates the data and power leads in the USB cable into two separate hates) and it supposedly removes the hiss in the Stream port or something.

just got another set of ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 and Boompro to test
- the issues remain, the voice commands are not recognized at all as the PS4 will say the voice is too loud when I've already adjusted the mic volume to its lowest
- the Boompro works fine (voice commands get recognized) when plugged directly to the DS4

I'm at this point where I'm inclined to just return the Mixamp and do without it until the X7 come and I buy one (use my Fidelio X1 normally for now or go back to my PULSE Elite Wireless if I really desire that surround sound).

oh well - decisions

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #26,515 of 48,579

I see. that's a real disappointment I guess. I've been reading of some cable by this guy (where he separates the data and power leads in the USB cable into two separate hates) and it supposedly removes the hiss in the Stream port or something.

just got another set of ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 and Boompro to test
- the issues remain, the voice commands are not recognized at all as the PS4 will say the voice is too loud when I've already adjusted the mic volume to its lowest
- the Boompro works fine (voice commands get recognized) when plugged directly to the DS4

I'm at this point where I'm inclined to just return the Mixamp and do without it until the X7 come and I buy one (use my Fidelio X1 normally for now or go back to my PULSE Elite Wireless if I really desire that surround sound).

oh well - decisions

That's a mic issue and not the mixamp. I use the modmic and ps4 recognizes the voice command perfectly (perfectly as in "despite my eastern european accent")

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #26,517 of 48,579

it's my second set of Boompro and Mixamp :/ unless there's something inherently wrong with the Boompro that causes that issue :/

Try the mic calibration option, and then voice commands.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #26,518 of 48,579
The reason the mixamp has hiss is because the microphone's sound is mixed with the game sound...the microphone has noise and the mixamp first amplifies it and then mixes it with the game sound....amplified noise == louder noise...try connecting your microphone to a pc and raise the Mic's volume to the maximum...then use the sound recorder in windows to record...just record without saying anything...then listen to it...it has a noticeable noise...

therefore, mixamp is not at fault here...it is the poor microphones that we use...don't want noise in mixamp ? use a super duper low noise microphone that would probably cost 1 grand or more....

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #26,520 of 48,579

I tried. it's turned down to its lowest on both sets of Boompro - the problem persists.
tried another Mixamp - the problem also persists :/

the only option I haven't tried is to connect the Xbox/Controller port to the DS4

Try plugging theUSB cable to Your PC and see how that will sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back