Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #23,326 of 48,578
I had to Google Day[9]. I'm still none-the-wiser 

Anecdote: When I was in primary (elementary) school, I took some classes separately and was tutored alongside the deaf children at my school. Initially they thought I may have difficulty hearing, so I was tested. It turned out that my hearing was in fact above average, My brother would throw tantrums at home and I had learned to block out annoyances. I deemed the teacher to be an annoyance and just blocked her out lol.

Here you go, he primarily plays Starcraft (former US Champion), but plays lots of other stuff on his days off and sometimes talks about life... I really enjoyed when he talked about the importance of being relentlessly positive, it inspires me really.

I have a great ear for detail, very quiet sounds, and pitch (used to tune violin from memory, afterwards not hear any beats when played alongside a tuner, but now I mostly forget which letter corresponds to which pitch since I haven't played in a decade), but sometimes when people talk it takes a second for the meaning to "click" with me, and at 27 years old I can't hear "the most annoying sound in the world" audio sample when my cousins were playing it on their phones. Joke's on them, haha.

Whenever I hear his name I can only think of the Halloween when he played Amnesia: The Dark Descent and ended up being a screaming little girl for several hours. Such a fun few nights of streaming. That game freaked me out when I played through it so it's fun watching others succumb to it's incredible atmosphere and story telling.

I watched him play the sequel, I laughed so hard sometimes but I was glad he stopped playing partway in, because it was obviously scaring him to a point that was painful... He got too psyched out. Never will forget his face when he got so scared he lost his chin in his neck XD

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #23,327 of 48,578
I watched him play the sequel, I laughed so hard sometimes but I was glad he stopped playing partway in, because it was obviously scaring him to a point that was painful... He got too psyched out. Never will forget his face when he got so scared he lost his chin in his neck XD

I'll have to hit up his archive and view him playing Machine for Pigs. I wasn't blown away by the game but if it got to him then I definitely want to see it.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #23,328 of 48,578

In a word: yes. The K701 will be a very noticeable improvement over the sound of the Kraken 7.1. I can't and won't say that the Kraken isn't a decent headset because that just isn't true. But having heard it and a K701 previously, the K701 is more musical and will give you a better representation of what's playing. Razer does have its own surround processing and while it does its job you may find that Dolby Headphone or one of the other surround processors work better for your tastes. You can demo them all in a YouTube video on the first post. The demo uses Bioshock: Infinite to demonstrate the various processing available.

The K701 do not have surround inherently, so you'll need something to go with them to achieve it. You can even use the Razer software if you're on Windows. And if you're looking for the best in FPS gaming where detail is more important than immersion then you could be better off with the AD700x from Audio Technica. When it comes to sound whoring in FPS games I have yet to come across anything better. And since it's a lot easier to drive than the K701 you won't need to have an amp to push them. With the K701 it's pretty well accepted around these parts that an amp is a must.

If you're looking for all-rounders in gaming there are other options as well. The K701 is a very nice headphone but requires a pretty beefy amp to really get the most out of it. You could get the Q701 which is easier to drive and then you can get by with a less powerful amp. Heck, you may not even need one to achieve the volume you want. The amp will just help fill out the sound better. The MA900 is also a good choice if you can find it for a decent price, but since it was discontinued prices have pretty much only gone up.

Thanks for the reply. I really like closed headphones and do not like to hear any external noises. On the Q701 and AD700x I assume those are both open eared headphones, right? Also if I purchase the Q701s (Love the color option they have) can I just plug this up to my after market sound card and not have to use an amp? I am pretty sure these will be heaps better than the 7.1 Krankens out of the box. I also do not have these Krankens plugged into the sound card as they are USB only and use the Razer Synapse software. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #23,329 of 48,578

Thanks for the reply. I really like closed headphones and do not like to hear any external noises. On the Q701 and AD700x I assume those are both open eared headphones, right? Also if I purchase the Q701s (Love the color option they have) can I just plug this up to my after market sound card and not have to use an amp? I am pretty sure these will be heaps better than the 7.1 Krankens out of the box. I also do not have these Krankens plugged into the sound card as they are USB only and use the Razer Synapse software. 

Yes, the Q701 and the AD700x are both open headphones. If you're looking for closed then there are a handful recommended by MLE on the first page. You could run the Q701 directly from a sound card but they do scale with an amp. Even a cheap Schiit amp would give you better positional queues and sound quality. Razer Synapse software is simply the drivers for your Razer gear. It's not the actual DSP. It saves and syncs settings across computers. If you have Razer Surround installed and syned through Synapse then that's how they're processing the surround 7.1. Or the Kraken is using a built in DSP that's part of the USB connection, an external sound card of sorts.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #23,330 of 48,578

Yes, the Q701 and the AD700x are both open headphones. If you're looking for closed then there are a handful recommended by MLE on the first page. You could run the Q701 directly from a sound card but they do scale with an amp. Even a cheap Schiit amp would give you better positional queues and sound quality. Razer Synapse software is simply the drivers for your Razer gear. It's not the actual DSP. It saves and syncs settings across computers. If you have Razer Surround installed and syned through Synapse then that's how they're processing the surround 7.1. Or the Kraken is using a built in DSP that's part of the USB connection, an external sound card of sorts.

After looking I do see the Sennheiser PC350's are closed ear and I may be leaning towards that, but OP did not review those. He only reviewed the PC360's which are open ear. From reading amazon reviews it seems that both the PC350 and PC360s are the same in sound. Just a few differences as seen below:

09281538935752534315.png

I do like the built in mic as well, but it really isn't something that would stop me from getting a clip on mic. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #23,331 of 48,578

I see. I wish there was a place I could go to and listen to all these headphones. It is hard to pick over the internet without being able to test them. Best Buy and Frys don't have a very good selection of headphones. Especially ones you can put on and try out. I have been looking at the PC350's as they are closed ear. Only thing is MLE did not review the 350's only the 360's. You happen to have any opinion on the 350's?

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #23,332 of 48,578
  I see. I wish there was a place I could go to and listen to all these headphones. It is hard to pick over the internet without being able to test them. Best Buy and Frys don't have a very good selection of headphones. Especially ones you can put on and try out. I have been looking at the PC350's as they are closed ear. Only thing is MLE did not review the 350's only the 360's. You happen to have any opinion on the 350's?

I haven't heard the PC350, so I can't say anything about them. Where are you located? There may be local shops that can give demos where you haven't been yet.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #23,336 of 48,578
Heya guys,

first of all i would like to thank Mad Lust Envy and everyone who contributed to this thread. It's amazing!

This thread has got me going crazy for better headphones than my old horrible AX Pro's and now my Mixamp/A40's for PS4 gaming. I will be going for a pair of DT 770's (250 Ohm?) so I do not disturb anyone around me plus a pair of AKG Q701's (or K701's, depends of the Q's price, 250€ vs 200€ atm) together with an amp+Mixamp.

Now I'm just not sure of which DT 770 Ohm version I should take and what amp for a reasonable price can drive these and of course the K/Q701 pretty good. I was thinking about getting a Fiio E17 first because of the portability (for the DT 770's) and the built in DAC and sometime later on the Schiit Magni for use together (E17+Magni) with my pc. Does the E17's DAC work with the Magni or would I double amp it like that? This would suit me more than the Magni/Modi combo. Or is the Mixamp already a good DAC for mm pc? I somehow don't think that it actually is, but what do I know. :D

TL;DR
-Which DT 770 Ohm version for gaming or is there no big difference?
-Mixamp+E17 powerful enough for the DT 770's and Q701's? The Mixamp+Magni later sure should be?
-For PC, would the E17 as DAC + Magni as amp work or would i double amp it like that? Or should i take a look at other combos?

I would love if someone could drop a sentence or two about it as I'm new to all this. Thanks guys!

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #23,337 of 48,578
Here you go, he primarily plays Starcraft (former US Champion), but plays lots of other stuff on his days off and sometimes talks about life... I really enjoyed when he talked about the importance of being relentlessly positive, it inspires me really.

Sorry for making you explain that. I should have written "I'm none-the-wiser as to your age".

I had a ballpark estimate by the games you were talking about. However there was a margin of error that is dependant on your mothers attitude (given the Goldeneye statement). I figured you were around my age, maybe a little younger, but I wasn't sure how much younger.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #23,338 of 48,578
C0nl,
Should be okay with your plan, the only thing is you won't have virtual surround when PC gaming... But should still have a quite nice setup, better than what most game designers expect :)

Napalm,
I thought I'd posted a link to Day[9]'s twitch page, and you'd get an idea from looking at him. I'm just a few months different from Sean Plott, we're 27.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #23,339 of 48,578
C0nl,
Should be okay with your plan, the only thing is you won't have virtual surround when PC gaming... But should still have a quite nice setup, better than what most game designers expect
smily_headphones1.gif

Napalm,
I thought I'd posted a link to Day[9]'s twitch page, and you'd get an idea from looking at him. I'm just a few months different from Sean Plott, we're 27.

In my defence, I had been drinking 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back