Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #23,311 of 48,581
  It's interesting that some amps seem to cause problems more than others. Is this a case of solid state vs tube? If that were the case it would be even more interesting and even potentially worthy of its own thread.

I am a guitar player and know that many people find tube guitar amps more sonically pleasing. The idea that tube amps may be less irritating (from a medical perspective) is intriguing.

I think it can possible be a tube vs solid state thing because I haven't experienced anything to tell me otherwise so far and I've been told similar things by other people. It's something that needs be looked into more in-depth. Some tubes amps I heard were much harsher than the ss amp but the tube amp still fatigued me less. Harshness on tubes just comes off as an unpleasant sound to me. On SS amps it's like my ears build up a defense(clogging and ear wax) to their sound no matter how smooth and warm it is. I have been told that tubes are easier on the ears. Maybe it has to do with how the amps handle distortion and clipping differently. So for people with especially sensitive ears, it may be something to look into. Listening to a tube amp after dealing with clogging from listening to a solid state device my ears slowly pop and the clogging eases up with each pop my hearing slowly goes back to normal.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #23,312 of 48,581

I think it can possible be a tube vs solid state thing because I haven't experienced anything to tell me otherwise so far and I've been told similar things by other people. It's something that needs be looked into more in-depth. Some tubes amps I heard were much harsher than the ss amp but the tube amp still fatigued me less. Harshness on tubes just comes off as an unpleasant sound to me. On SS amps it's like my ears build up a defense(clogging and ear wax) to their sound no matter how smooth and warm it is. I have been told that tubes are easier on the ears. Maybe it has to do with how the amps handle distortion and clipping differently. So for people with especially sensitive ears, it may be something to look into. Listening to a tube amp after dealing with clogging from listening to a solid state device my ears slowly pop and the clogging eases up with each pop my hearing slowly goes back to normal.

My ears are pretty sensitive. I've not tried a headphone tube amp, but my experience thus far with headphones has taught me that I am not suited to long sessions. Tube amps may be an avenue for me to explore in future.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #23,313 of 48,581
How old are you (unless that is a question you'd rather not answer)?

The same age as Day[9]

Well this is just weird, the E12 is making my ears quite clogged up no matter the headphone or the source it's hooked up to, it's the same problem I had with the Magni and to a lesser degree the E11. Switching to the EF2A and my ears are clearing up as I listen.

I had a similar experience, except the E12 with crossfeed on and my K712 didn't cause me to suffer as much, and my tube amp with a Bugle Boy 6DJ8 white label unfortunately had a microphonics issue that seemed to be ringing constantly just beyond my range of hearing did cause me to have shorter sessions and eventually convince me to change tubes.

The finer hairs in our inner ear are responsible for detecting higher frequencies, and in the normal course of life these will be the first to start failing. When these hairs are agitated to the point of some beginning to deteriorate on the spot, our ears begin thickening the ear wax to try and protect our hearing.

Everyone's ears are different and respond differently to agitating sound (some will clog more), but everyone can benefit from avoiding brittle treble and regular breaks, especially if you play audio a bit louder.

A co-worker recently was surprised I was buying expensive headphones, because he thought I'd told him earlier that I don't like to listen to loud sounds and assumed I didn't like music. I told him that I LOVE music, and I hope to enjoy it as late as possible into my life.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #23,314 of 48,581
The same age as Day[9]

Whenever I hear his name I can only think of the Halloween when he played Amnesia: The Dark Descent and ended up being a screaming little girl for several hours. Such a fun few nights of streaming. That game freaked me out when I played through it so it's fun watching others succumb to it's incredible atmosphere and story telling.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #23,315 of 48,581
The same age as Day[9]
I had a similar experience, except the E12 with crossfeed on and my K712 didn't cause me to suffer as much, and my tube amp with a Bugle Boy 6DJ8 white label unfortunately had a microphonics issue that seemed to be ringing constantly just beyond my range of hearing did cause me to have shorter sessions and eventually convince me to change tubes.

The finer hairs in our inner ear are responsible for detecting higher frequencies, and in the normal course of life these will be the first to start failing. When these hairs are agitated to the point of some beginning to deteriorate on the spot, our ears begin thickening the ear wax to try and protect our hearing.

Everyone's ears are different and respond differently to agitating sound (some will clog more), but everyone can benefit from avoiding brittle treble and regular breaks, especially if you play audio a bit louder.

A co-worker recently was surprised I was buying expensive headphones, because he thought I'd told him earlier that I don't like to listen to loud sounds and assumed I didn't like music. I told him that I LOVE music, and I hope to enjoy it as late as possible into my life.

I'll try the E12 with crossfeed once my ears feel completely fine and see if it prevents my problems with ear wax build up. I have found solid state amps in general a lot more irritating to my ears than tubes. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't really heard it yet sadly. I haven't really experience a microphonics issue yet in tubes, I do roll tubes every so often though to change things up.
  My ears are pretty sensitive. I've not tried a headphone tube amp, but my experience thus far with headphones has taught me that I am not suited to long sessions. Tube amps may be an avenue for me to explore in future.

I would give tubes a try sometime and see if they help any. You may like how they sound more as well. It's always worth trying different types of gear out and see what works the best for you.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #23,316 of 48,581
The same age as Day[9]

I had to Google Day[9]. I'm still none-the-wiser 

I heard what was supposedly a sample of the mosquito noise. Allegedly most people in their mid to late 20's lose the ability to hear it. I'm 30 and could certainly hear it. With a reference note I was able to tell its pitch too. I cannot remember what it was exactly now. I seem to remember it being f or f sharp (I do not have perfect pitch, I had to get a reference note from a keyboard). I've never been one to listen to loud music or abuse my ears in general. I value my hearing greatly.

Anecdote: When I was in primary (elementary) school, I took some classes separately and was tutored alongside the deaf children at my school. Initially they thought I may have difficulty hearing, so I was tested. It turned out that my hearing was in fact above average, My brother would throw tantrums at home and I had learned to block out annoyances. I deemed the teacher to be an annoyance and just blocked her out lol.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #23,317 of 48,581
  I had to Google Day[9]. I'm still none-the-wiser 
I heard what was supposedly a sample of the mosquito noise. Allegedly most people in their mid to late 20's lose the ability to hear it. I'm 30 and could certainly hear it. With a reference note I was able to tell its pitch too. I cannot remember what it was exactly now. I seem to remember it being f or f sharp (I do not have perfect pitch, I had to get a reference note from a keyboard). I've never been one to listen to loud music or abuse my ears in general. I value my hearing greatly.

Anecdote: When I was in primary (elementary) school, I took some classes separately and was tutored alongside the deaf children at my school. Initially they thought I may have difficulty hearing, so I was tested. It turned out that my hearing was in fact above average, My brother would throw tantrums at home and I had learned to block out annoyances. I deemed the teacher to be an annoyance and just blocked her out lol.

I wonder if I can hear it when I'm in my 30s, I'm 23 right now and it's easy to hear. I avoid excessively loud sounds myself, I always cover my ears when something loud is blaring such as a siren or those ear shattering fire alarms they like to do in the dorms. I avoid listening to music loud, it's rare for me to blare my headphones above what I'm usually comfortable with, it's only briefly and only with heavy bass.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #23,318 of 48,581

I wonder if I can hear it when I'm in my 30s, I'm 24 right now and it's easy to hear. I avoid excessively loud sounds myself, I always cover my ears when something loud is blaring such as a siren or those ear shattering fire alarms they like to do in the dorms. I avoid listening to music loud, it's rare for me to blare my headphones above what I'm usually comfortable with, it's only briefly and only with heavy bass.

I've always been the same way. If a noise is uncomfortably loud I cover my ears. YMMV but it's kept my ears in good shape. Hopefully it is the same for you :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #23,319 of 48,581
  I've always been the same way. If a noise is uncomfortably loud I cover my ears. YMMV but it's kept my ears in good shape. Hopefully it is the same for you :)

It's kept my hearing in good shape as well. I just have to stick with my main system for any moderate volume listening. I like a moderate volume the most, too loud bothers me and I don't like listening to low volume levels except in public as I wear open-backs on the go and I like the music to be more in the background when around others.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #23,320 of 48,581
  It's kept my hearing in good shape as well. I just have to stick with my main system for any moderate volume listening. I like a moderate volume the most, too loud bothers me and I don't like listening to low volume levels except in public as I wear open-backs on the go and I like the music to be more in the background when around others.

I only really listen to headphones when I'm at home. When people hand me headphones and say "listen to this song" it is normally far too loud for my liking.

It's been a pleasure talking to you but I must get to bed. Laters :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #23,321 of 48,581
  I only really listen to headphones when I'm at home. When people hand me headphones and say "listen to this song" it is normally far too loud for my liking.

It's been a pleasure talking to you but I must get to bed. Laters :)

I haven't really experienced that. Nt one seems to pay any mind to my headphones even when I when I wear my K612s in public. My K712s did catch some looks but that's likely because they are my schools colors. It was nice talking to you to. Later. :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #23,322 of 48,581
It's too bad there's no way for viewers to hear me, Evshrug, and Change talk in a party on the PS4. We all talk smack to each other, well mostly me and Change. I had one of my friends rolling the other night, he literally ran out of breath. Fun times on tha PS4.

But MLE, you should just try BF4. You ahven't tried it so you don't even know if you'd hate it. It's not as fast and frantic as COD, but still plenty fast. It doesn't hurt to try the game at all. It seems like you have this blind hate for the BF series, but I haven't seen as to why you hate it. As much as I like Ghosts, and I do, it just doesn't hold a candle to BF4.

Owned BF2; MC (loved it), BF: BC, BF:BC2, BF1942, and BF3. Trust me, I know what Battlefield is all about. I also downloaded the PC beta for BF4, same crap as BF3, which I didn't enjoy. Battlefied has been pretty much the same since the first Bad Company. Funny how people whine about CoD, when Battlefield is just the same, but with more vehicles, etc.

Battlefield is too slow paced. Battlefield is very team oriented, which is not what I'm about. It bores me, really. CoD is quick, mindless fun, with nonstop action, no real lulls of action anywhere. It's simple and arcadey, and I love it for that.

I don't hate Battlefield. It's just boring for MY tastes.

All this being said, I haven't played CoD in a week, since I'm going through Tales of Symphonia: DOTNW atm. Tales meets Pokemon, really.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #23,323 of 48,581
double post.

Figured I'd use this as an actual post so:

I didn't have much of anything to do at work after all the mess of saturday night party goers, so i decided to start on the Ultrasone HFI-15G review. I've written a sizable chunk of the review, so I guess you guys can expect it in the near future.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #23,325 of 48,581
The X1 should work well with most sources. It is 35ohms and high sensitivity...
Mixamp should drive it fine, according to MLE (and me xP) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back