Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #23,071 of 48,578
If you're getting a $400 headphone, I highly recommend you also get the equipment that'll make it sound like it should.  That means definitely getting an amp.  If you're gaming from your PC, a soundcard is always a good idea.  The one you mentioned gets solid reviews around here.  However, if you're getting an amp as well, you don't need to spend much on a sound card as you'll just be using it for DSP and DAC.  I'd recommend a Sound Blaster Z or Omni (whichever is cheaper when you decide to buy).

Thanks for the reply stillhart.
Which amp should I get? Im new to the scene. Whats dsp and dac?

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #23,072 of 48,578

A DSP is a Digital Sound Processor. It's what converts 5.1 signals such as Dolby and THX to a simulated surround sound through a stereo output. It effectively gives you surround sound out of a pair of stereo headphones and it's what we primarily use in this thread. A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. These are what convert digital signal to analog and allow you to hear the sound through headphones or speakers. Many times these two are part of the same device, but it's possible to have them separated.

*EDIT* I are supremus!

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #23,073 of 48,578

A DSP is a Digital Sound Processor

I always thought it meant digital signal processing as in, a DSP unit. I've also heard it referred to as digital signal processor, but always thought people were just abbreviating for convenience. Maybe I'm wrong (would make sense as I've had a few drinks).

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #23,076 of 48,578
I wasn't arguing either, lol.

You could be right. Digital signal processing is a real term.

Digital sound processing may be something made up more recently. It's been used online, but dsp itself is actual more commonly know as signal processing.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #23,077 of 48,578
I think the point is that the way I used it, it means it's processing the sound/signal from 5.1 into stereo with virtual surround.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #23,078 of 48,578
I wasn't arguing either, lol.

You could be right. Digital signal processing is a real term.

Digital sound processing may be something made up more recently. It's been used online, but dsp itself is actual more commonly know as signal processing.

Did I come off as being defensive? Didn't mean to :)

I think I read it somewhere. I retained the info but not where I learned it. I guess it's a necessity, otherwise I'd only be able to learn half as much and the other half of my knowledge would be where I learned that knowledge, lol.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #23,079 of 48,578

DSP = Digital Signal Processor, something that processes the surround sound into a stereo mix for headphones that still sounds like it comes from surround directions.

DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter, takes turns digital 1's & 0's into the electric pulses that make headphones or speakers work. All digital systems (CD's, DVD's, games, mp3's, etc) require a DAC, nicer DACs resolve finer details and nuance.

Amp = Amplifier, drives analogue pulses to the appropriate strength and gain (volume) for headphones and speakers, also allows adjustment of volume. Nicer ones aren't primarily about "louder," they are for better control to represent tones more accurately.

Best place to ask about "which amp" would be in the support & review threads about the headphone you have/want. There have also been some good recommendations for amps on this page and the previous page of this thread.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #23,080 of 48,578
DSP = Digital Signal Processor, something that processes the surround sound into a stereo mix for headphones that still sounds like it comes from surround directions.

DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter, takes turns digital 1's & 0's into the electric pulses that make headphones or speakers work. All digital systems (CD's, DVD's, games, mp3's, etc) require a DAC, nicer DACs resolve finer details and nuance.

Amp = Amplifier, drives analogue pulses to the appropriate strength and gain (volume) for headphones and speakers, also allows adjustment of volume. Nicer ones aren't primarily about "louder," they are for better control to represent tones more accurately.

Best place to ask about "which amp" would be in the support & review threads about the headphone you have/want. There have also been some good recommendations for amps on this page and the previous page of this thread.

oh_god_what_have_i_done____by_rober_raik-d4cw1lu.png

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #23,081 of 48,578
A DSP is a...

*EDIT* I are supremus!

Derp, you beat me to it by a few hours (didn't refresh the page after my 15 min break, now I'm off work). I'm gonna leave my version up, cuz I like my wording better :p

And grats on supremacy! Now everyone's going to think a sound engineer like you is going to be reputable as me! :ph34r:

... Maybe I'm wrong (would make sense as I've had a few drinks).

You suspect it's wrong, but it feels so right! Join me as I grab a hard cider and game some CoD streamed from PS4, it'll be fun!

Just search twitch "PS4 for Head-Fi, with Evshrug", or just search "Evshrug," you'll see it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #23,084 of 48,578

Just because I have a degree in Audio Engineering doesn't mean I know as much/more about headphones as those who don't. 
tongue_smile.gif

No, obviously it's the Supremus!  lol

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #23,085 of 48,578
Just because I have a degree in Audio Engineering doesn't mean I know as much/more about headphones as those who don't. :tongue_smile:

I'm still a fan, you're a great guy regardless of the fact that you happen to have a relevant qualification. Were you my mystery follower on the stream?

PS, taking a short break for snacks and water. Also, I'm a bit dizzy cuz I'm a lightweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back