Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 18, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #23,043 of 48,578
Thanks to everyone who replied about the K712s and answered my questions. I'm too lazy to quote everyone who helped :p but you all helped a ton.

From what I've gathered, the K712 does need an amp, however, I'm not sure what amp would be best. Seeing as I don't really need a portable amp (all of my portable headphones are efficient enough), would the E09K be my best bet? What i like about the E09K is that if I get the E09K and end up needing a DAC in the future, I can get something like an E17. That can be used as both a DAC and amp in portable use and can be docked on the E09K for desktop use.

So, in the end, the K712+E09K+Clip on mic+Astro Mixamp 2013 seems like my best bet (of course, with the possibility of getting one of Zombie_X's adapters as well as the Boom Pro). Does my planned gaming setup seem good?

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #23,044 of 48,578
I'm looking to buy my first pair of decent headphones from Amazon (I have some money on there).

I'm split between:
  1. Creative Aurvana Live! 2
  2. Audio-Technica ATHM50
  3. Sennheiser HD 558
  4. Phillips L1/28 Fidelio
  5. Shure SRH440
  6. V-Moda M-80

I also listen to EDM / light rock, and I kind of want an all-around pair of headphones. I've heard good things about all of these headphones (mostly the Sennheisers / Audiotechnicas), and they're all in the same price range, except the SRH440.

Has anyone tried these headphones, and what did you think about positioning and sound leakage?

And should I spend money and buy an amp / soundcard?
(Will mainly be listening out of PC)

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #23,045 of 48,578
Thanks to everyone who replied about the K712s and answered my questions. I'm too lazy to quote everyone who helped
tongue.gif
but you all helped a ton.

From what I've gathered, the K712 does need an amp, however, I'm not sure what amp would be best. Seeing as I don't really need a portable amp (all of my portable headphones are efficient enough), would the E09K be my best bet? What i like about the E09K is that if I get the E09K and end up needing a DAC in the future, I can get something like an E17. That can be used as both a DAC and amp in portable use and can be docked on the E09K for desktop use.

So, in the end, the K712+E09K+Clip on mic+Astro Mixamp 2013 seems like my best bet (of course, with the possibility of getting one of Zombie_X's adapters as well as the Boom Pro). Does my planned gaming setup seem good?

Keep in mind that the DAC isn't going to do anything for your console setup.  Personally, I'd get a Magni or Vali, but I admit I really like Schiit's style and that heavily influences my decision on anything Schiit-related.  lol

Other than that, I think your setup will kick ass.  You will certainly not be disappointed.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #23,046 of 48,578
Keep in mind that the DAC isn't going to do anything for your console setup.  Personally, I'd get a Magni or Vali, but I admit I really like Schiit's style and that heavily influences my decision on anything Schiit-related.  lol

Other than that, I think your setup will kick ass.  You will certainly not be disappointed.

I took a look at that Schiit (I love their name lol) and I definitely agree with you in terms of their style. Sadly, it would cost around $30 to ship to me which would put it at par with the price of the E09K (at least on a Canadian website). When it comes to the versatility of the E09K, I quite like how it can be used with or without a DAC. For the E09K, I was thinking that I could have the USB going from my PC to the USB input and have the Mixamp going to the analog input. When I want to listen to music, I put the E17 in, flip a switch and have a great music setup. I can flip the switch again to have my gaming setup.

Also, thanks for giving me the thumbs up on the setup. I may have finally decided on what I'm going to go for.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #23,047 of 48,578
Avro,
In addition to why I said earlier the K712 would end up being my long-term keeper (I agree with you on most points), I'd still say the Q701 is a huge value compared to the very good K712 (which is priced on the level of the HD650 and DT990) because even at ~$200, it sounds like it's within that caliber. Especially when you scale up the performance with a desktop amp.

Both pads feel very similar on my ears (slight nod to the K712 long-term, but putting on cool Q701s after wearing the warmed-up K712 after playing for 4 hours feels like a relief, so mostly it's a heat thing, whichever isn't already warm), also I bought a pair of very nice/cushy baby seatbelt wraps for like $10 which made the Q701 headband more comfy than a bare K712 headband, and finally the Q701 also comes with a second cable (it's like 20' long or something equally ridiculous, if I had soldering skills I'd cut it up into 3 shorter spares). I do think the K712 is a bit smoother even if not plugged into a dedicated desktop-class amp (the E12 is basically a portable desktop amp), but really both k712 and Q701 unlock their full dynamic potential when a desktop-class amp is used.

I do love my K712, but it's a luxury upgrade rather than something that makes a lot of practical money sense when the Q701 (or I guess K702?) is considered. The K612 looks like it may hit a sweet spot in value too, looking forward to demoing that!

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #23,048 of 48,578
Grumpy,
Just FYI, you could easily hook up a FiiO E17 with line-out to a Magni as well, or use any other DAC with the E09K plugged into the analogue input (analogue input splitters/hubs/switches ought to be an easy find if switching a cable is much less convenient than switching a switch). The FiiO "system" is tidy, but not the only way to accomplish your goal.

For the wireless kids:
PLYR 1 is so far the best wireless gaming headset I've seen reviewed. You could also buy an Astro Mixamp 5.8 from eBay or part of a bundle from the Microsoft Store (and resell the headphone), or you could get one of Sennheiser's wireless sets and plug in a surround processor (the closed mid-range Senn wireless comes with a "surround" processing, but I don't know if it actually uses 5.1 positional audio accurately) and find some other way to get mic input.

Typically I have a better experience with something I can plug my own headphones and amp (and DAC?) into than splitting the cost into an "all in one included system."

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #23,049 of 48,578
Avro,
In addition to why I said earlier the K712 would end up being my long-term keeper (I agree with you on most points), I'd still say the Q701 is a huge value compared to the very good K712 (which is priced on the level of the HD650 and DT990) because even at ~$200, it sounds like it's within that caliber. Especially when you scale up the performance with a desktop amp.

Both pads feel very similar on my ears (slight nod to the K712 long-term, but putting on cool Q701s after wearing the warmed-up K712 after playing for 4 hours feels like a relief, so mostly it's a heat thing, whichever isn't already warm), also I bought a pair of very nice/cushy baby seatbelt wraps for like $10 which made the Q701 headband more comfy than a bare K712 headband, and finally the Q701 also comes with a second cable (it's like 20' long or something equally ridiculous, if I had soldering skills I'd cut it up into 3 shorter spares). I do think the K712 is a bit smoother even if not plugged into a dedicated desktop-class amp (the E12 is basically a portable desktop amp), but really both k712 and Q701 unlock their full dynamic potential when a desktop-class amp is used.

I do love my K712, but it's a luxury upgrade rather than something that makes a lot of practical money sense when the Q701 (or I guess K702?) is considered. The K612 looks like it may hit a sweet spot in value too, looking forward to demoing that!

I have to agree I don't find the K712 much of an upgrade from the Q701, it was slightly but seemed more like a slight upgrade with a different sound signature. That is true, they sound so much better on a good desktop amp.

I find the K612 really struts it's stuff on a tube amp, especially in terms of fun-factor, immersiveness, and dynamics.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #23,050 of 48,578
Just wanted to jump in and mention that tonight I listened to the X1's through the M-stage for the first time.  Man, they sound a lot better! 

The loose bass has really tightened up.  It still feels like the mids are veiled and the highs aren't as sparkly as I'd like, but it no longer feels like it's that way because the bass is intruding all over them.  I think it's just a warmer sound overall that I'm hearing (vs the Q). 

I'm definitely upgrading my opinion of these with the amping.  I don't think it benefits as much as the Q, but the benefits it gets are where it needs it most.  Oh, I still prefer the sound signature of the Q overall, but these are great for more dancy electronica.

When my new E11 comes in, I'll see how much of this is because of the M-stage vs just having any amp.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #23,051 of 48,578
Noticed someone mentioned using the Fiio E09K's usb input. That ONLY works when the Fiio E07k or E17 are docked.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #23,052 of 48,578
Dude, the MOE is quite amazing for gaming! I've been using these, exclusively, since they arrived and can say the soundtstage is absolutely stellar for being an on-ear...

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #23,053 of 48,578
Hey guys! I am planning on buying the k712 pros. I am a pc gamer that loves listening to edm. Should I get a sound card or a amp? Or even both? I was thinking of the sound blaster x-fi titanium hd sound card. Any advice would be appreciated.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #23,054 of 48,578
Hey guys! I am planning on buying the k712 pros. I am a pc gamer that loves listening to edm. Should I get a sound card or a amp? Or even both? I was thinking of the sound blaster x-fi titanium hd sound card. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you're getting a $400 headphone, I highly recommend you also get the equipment that'll make it sound like it should.  That means definitely getting an amp.  If you're gaming from your PC, a soundcard is always a good idea.  The one you mentioned gets solid reviews around here.  However, if you're getting an amp as well, you don't need to spend much on a sound card as you'll just be using it for DSP and DAC.  I'd recommend a Sound Blaster Z or Omni (whichever is cheaper when you decide to buy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back