Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #19,261 of 48,578
This is the alienware 18's soundcard Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di High-Definition 5.1 Audio with THX TruStudio Pro Software (Standard) or 2.1 Speaker configuration with Subwoofer Audio Powered by Klipsch; 7.1 Digital Audio out using HDMI out connection or S/PDIF Optical port

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #19,262 of 48,578
  This is the alienware 18's soundcard Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di High-Definition 5.1 Audio with THX TruStudio Pro Software (Standard) or 2.1 Speaker configuration with Subwoofer Audio Powered by Klipsch; 7.1 Digital Audio out using HDMI out connection or S/PDIF Optical port

The Recon3Di is a software package overlaid on top of the motherboard's integrated sound. So you're just using a cheap sound card with a decent software suite.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #19,263 of 48,578
Hey, I was just wondering if you guys could help me pinpoint a pair of headphones to buy if it's not too much trouble.

- Preferably $100-$200 price range
- These would mostly be for SP games/movies so I don't need some super sterile sounding headphones for competitive gaming. I'd like at least a decent amount of bass.
- And if possible a pair that would be comfortable to wear most of the day if need be.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #19,264 of 48,578
  Hey, I was just wondering if you guys could help me pinpoint a pair of headphones to buy if it's not too much trouble.

- Preferably $100-$200 price range
- These would mostly be for SP games/movies so I don't need some super sterile sounding headphones for competitive gaming. I'd like at least a decent amount of bass.
- And if possible a pair that would be comfortable to wear most of the day if need be.

What sources would the headphones be plugged into? Win PC computer?

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #19,265 of 48,578

The Recon3Di is a software package overlaid on top of the motherboard's integrated sound. So you're just using a cheap sound card with a decent software suite.

I am thinking about getting a good portable optical dac/headphone amp to go with this..it carries 7.1 sound over optical.be using this with jh audio roxannes as my (in ear) headphones!

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #19,266 of 48,578

I would never recommend a loop for a Modmic. I used an S curve at the base of mine in order to shorten the boom and to control the cord.

It's a bit difficult to see but this is the only photo I currently have of the Modmic.

That is the older version, and is the one I consider the best. The newer is made of a different material and about 2 inches longer. The older boom was perfect IMO. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #19,267 of 48,578

I am thinking about getting a good portable optical dac/headphone amp to go with this..it carries 7.1 sound over optical.be using this with jh audio roxannes as my (in ear) headphones!

The best thing about having the Recon3Di on a computer is that it'll process the THX TrueStudio before leaving the computer at all. So you can use both analog out to an amp or (as I understand it) toslink to another DAC and still maintain the surround processing.

Then again, I may be overlooking something and that second part not work at all. But I'd love for it to work. Recon>Bifrost>amp>headphones would probably sound awesome.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #19,268 of 48,578

The best thing about having the Recon3Di on a computer is that it'll process the THX TrueStudio before leaving the computer at all. So you can use both analog out to an amp or (as I understand it) toslink to another DAC and still maintain the surround processing.

Then again, I may be overlooking something and that second part not work at all. But I'd love for it to work. Recon>Bifrost>amp>headphones would probably sound awesome.

I agree,that's why all I need is a optical dac/headphone amp..i am thinking about getting the naim DAC-V1 with the jh audio roxannes and putting it in the loft..should be one $h!t h@t combo!

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #19,269 of 48,578
  I agree,that's why all I need is a optical dac/headphone amp..i am thinking about getting the naim DAC-V1 with the jh audio roxannes..should be one $h!t h@t combo!

Oh man how I'd love to hear the Roxannes. But honestly I absolutely love my 1964-Q and have no need to upgrade from them. They sound sublime to me with everything I throw at them and at 1/3 the price of the Roxannes. Maybe someone more familiar could answer if it'll work. I have a Geek Pulse X with all the internal upgrades coming next year and I'd absolutely love to be able to use it in my gaming chain. So much want for that device, and it's going to be so long before it gets through production.

So getting back to the original question, if you can use an external DAC with the laptop's Recon3Di software then I think you'll have incredible sound out of the Alienware M18.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #19,271 of 48,578
  I'd be using it on my PC and on my TV using an adapter since most of these headphones use a 3.5 jack do they not?

Audio Technica ATH-A900X, sell used on eBay for $150
Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping.
Most headphones come with the 3.5mm 1/8" stereo mini-jack.

Adding an Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27, might improve audio quality with the PC.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #19,272 of 48,578

That won't work. The spdif only sends basic 2 channel. I have the same integrated Creative 3Di on my M17xR4. It's a PITA to use, since at least mine will default back to 2 channel stereo when I unplug my headphones. So in order for the sohnd devices tk go to 5.1 for the THX Tru Studio to work properly, you have to manually configure the speakers to 5.1 every single time you plug in hour headphones.

I only deal with that hassle at work, and when I'm hone I just use my Xonar U3 attached to my E17 through the optical.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #19,273 of 48,578
Sorry, headfi being weird.... and I just woke up.

Oh yes, on Bioshock Infinite for PC, THX Tru Studio works noticeably better than Dolby Headphone.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #19,274 of 48,578
This is what it says on the tin.. Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di High-Definition 5.1 Audio with THX TruStudio Pro Software (Standard) or 2.1 Speaker configuration with Subwoofer Audio Powered by Klipsch; 7.1 Digital Audio out using HDMI out connection or S/PDIF Optical port

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #19,275 of 48,578
7.1 digital audio out, sounds like a strict line out, not a pre-mixed out. So it's unlikely he'll get THX Tru Studio out of the Spdif out. Still, it seems better than mine which only does a 2 channel line out through Spdif. I can confirm Dolby and DTS on the optical out properties, but still only 2 channel, so I call BS here on my Alienware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back