Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 22, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #19,246 of 48,578
I think once my warranty ends, I'll have someone recable my MA900... or at least have it where it has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and use a Vmoda boompro mic cable.

http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

I think that would be a problem with the MA900 as the driver sits too close to the housing...

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #19,248 of 48,578
Sounds like a bass heavy MMX300...

The complete opposite of what the more recent impressions on the MMX300 have been. Again, inconsistency on Beyer's part.

Beyerdynamic's always been inconsistent about what a given model name refers to...just look at the DT880 throughout its history.

However, I do want to know if the current MMX300s with the black rings and pads, along with the different cable, are guaranteed bass-light while my older variant with silver rings and pads is guaranteed bass-heavy. That would at least simplify things a little when shopping for these things.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #19,249 of 48,578
The one Joe reviewed on youtube looked just like yours, and was bass light.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #19,250 of 48,578
Don't pay attention to terms like hifi and hd sound, etc.

My Fidelio X1 has High Definition drivers though.

Enjoy your standard def MA900s. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #19,252 of 48,578
  So the Omni doesn't have ASIO, what is that and concretely what does it affect. Also, what is WASAPI?! lol

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/ASIO.htm
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WASAPI.htm

ASIO is a low latency driver.  It's popular for applications that require low-latency, like music recording.
WASAPI is similar to ASIO, but it's integrated into windows where as ASIO is dependent on the soundcard supporting it (unless you use something like ASIO4ALL drivers).

If you don't really know what they are used for, odds are you don't need to worry about them.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #19,253 of 48,578
Thank you so much! (you guys are boss) So it's irrelevant for my uses, good. I tried out my friend's Sony MDR1s, super comfy, beautiful, good build.
In terms of sound they were good for music, bass seemed too prevalent and bled into too much of the songs, vocals weren't well defined as I feel they are on my G35s. Treble was good.
I'm curious how much a soundcard would change their sound, was just playing them off my phone and his razer blade for BF4, didn't sound good for gaming in my short time :/

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #19,255 of 48,578
Tis my 2.5 mm to 3.5mm converter. I had two but misplaced one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005543MAG/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1387677592&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Fegefeuer,
I was almost as blown away by your description as you must've felt hearing the headphone! I could feel your enthusiasm the entire time, as I read more my surprise mounted. I really hope it's worth the price, because here's the thing... save up enough, be dedicated enough, it's not that impossible to save up for.
One question I have: how's the wearing comfort? Many people applaud the HD800 comfort...

Comfort is at the same level. I don't notice any shortcomings. Neither is there a strong clamp or any pressure points on the top of the skull nor are my ears or jaw feeling uncomfortable. Infact it's less encompassing parts of your head which annoys some HD 800 users in the jaw parts. The pleather is like Fostex as in staying cool and not sweaty/hot like Hifiman pleather or any other known pleather types. The ideal headphone pad would be filled with gel but those are extremely expensive to make and maybe something for the future. Anyway, the advantage of eggshell protein on the Fostex or the pleahter of the AKG is hygiene. Just a tissue and oil of your skin etc. is removed while velour soaks everything up no matter how less you sweat. Sure, you can wash them so it's no big problem at all.

Haven't continued further. Will continue hearing later this evening. What I can say from last night is that cohorence is something a K7xx soundstage would never have to me. I disdained the diffuse middle part in the imaging, the ovalish form that is more extreme to the sides. The K812 "corrects" all that and has sublime depth.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #19,256 of 48,578
  Does anyone know what the sound quality is like on the alienware 18 gaming laptop? not much info on the sound quality!

I didn't hear much very long, just for about 20 minutes out of a friend's Alienware. Honestly I wasn't impressed. And that's common. Unfortunately most laptop makers save money on sound and focus on graphics, processor, memory, storage, etc. The best laptop sound I've heard yet is out of my MBP, and even then there's still some left to be desired.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #19,257 of 48,578
Dec 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #19,258 of 48,578
if only asus would make the U3 work with consoles. INSTANT HIT. Has anybody had trouble with the stock Asus drivers Lately? Mine broke last Thursday after a windows update. Was a good time to move to Unified drivers anyway, just wondered if anybody else has had trouble. 

I am soo interested in the K812pro. ****ty thing is I just blew all my money on a set of LCD2s. Now I really am broke, and will be selling plasma next week to buy groceries :p. Ok maybe not that bad, but zomg THE SOUND. IF anybody is interested I am going to be selling my HE400s I just bought. I have velour and pleather pads. Would be a good chance to check these out for a good deal, I bought them when they went on sale. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #19,259 of 48,578
If you find the Modmic too long you can always make a loop in the boom to shorten it.

This is horrible advice. I just tried to put a loop in the mic boom, and the damn thing snapped. Absolutely do not do this with the newer model Mod Mics.  

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #19,260 of 48,578
  This is horrible advice. I just tried to put a loop in the mic boom, and the damn thing snapped. Absolutely do not do this with the newer model Mod Mics.  

I would never recommend a loop for a Modmic. I used an S curve at the base of mine in order to shorten the boom and to control the cord.

It's a bit difficult to see but this is the only photo I currently have of the Modmic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back