Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #18,826 of 48,568
Hailin, the Ad700 has the largest soundstage I have ever heard, bar none. Followed by old K701, Q701, MA900, HD598.

The electrostats had a large soundstage as well, but more natural that huge.

BTW GUYS, MAX PAYNE 3 IS $3.19 ON STEAM. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET THAT GAME. That game is fantastic.

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #18,827 of 48,568
I loved the first one, but from there the others lost almost all its appeal 8(.

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #18,828 of 48,568
I only played Max Payne 3, and it was stellar. I don't have nostalgia holding me back. :wink:

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #18,829 of 48,568
Hailin, the Ad700 has the largest soundstage I have ever heard, bar none. Followed by old K701, Q701, MA900, HD598.

BTW GUYS, MAX PAYNE 3 IS $3.19 ON STEAM. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET THAT GAME. That game is fantastic.

Sorry about that I totally forgot about the AD700 and electrostats.( I have never owned a pair.) I think I got my point across though.
^ this
A lot of good advice and a good way to frame perspective in Hailin's post there. Just to add to reading comprehension, "The Beyer will [get] loud enough [without a separate amp like a FiiO E09k,] but the the bass will be a sloppy gross mess."
I really like when you wrote "We can't tell you how you will hear" and "get from a trusted site with a good return policy," these go hand in hand and will go a long way in making each person happy and in the long run, save money!

One thing that I've noticed... Of the higher fidelity headphones, the way output impedance affects Sennheisers' headphones seems actually atypical; most of the headphones I own or have tried, even the V-MODA M-100, have very linear (not-changing) response to higher output impedances on amps. I looked at the Beyer DT880 too, and that didn't change much either by impedance. This isn't to say Sennheiser makes bad headphones, but it does lend credence to your statement that they're picky about amp synergy.

What, if you don't mind asking, was the PortaPro safety mod?

Thanks for the edits. Typing before thinking again. lol

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #18,830 of 48,568
I only played Max Payne 3, and it was stellar. I don't have nostalgia holding me back.
wink.gif

Its not really about nostalgia (im sure part of it is but not the real reason), its more that max payne 3 felt a bit like CoD or similar, no connection to the main character.
Few games nowdays grab me by the balls with an amzing story but from time to time its there (Deux ex Human revolution for example).

A shooter needs to have at least something that impress me enought to keep playing it (Like the brutality of Warhammer space marine, the world of mass effect, the atmosphere of fallout 3/bioshock, the realism of crysis 1 and crysis warhead, etc), if not after 2-3 hours it gets a bit tedious :D.

I mean... Its like playing baldurs gate and then moving to neverwinternights... it was better in some aspects but really terrible in others. Now Baldurs gate to Dragon age Origins... Now we are talking :D.

The one thing that is great about nowdays games is sound quality. In most cases its nothing short of amazing.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #18,831 of 48,568
Peggle 2 just released on Xbox One. OH HOW MUCH I HATE THIS TIMED EXCLUSIVE CRAP. I NEED MY PEGGLE FIX, DAMMIT. LUCKY BASTARDS.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #18,833 of 48,568
Hey guys, just joined the site (mainly for this thread) and wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful contributions.  I'm an avid gamer on both current gen consoles and am getting my ps4 on Friday.  I currently have a tritton AX Pro which I can't say I'm too happy with and also my out of the box amp/speaker system.  I'm looking to upgrade for my multiplayer fps action(mainly bf4 but I also see myself getting an Xbox 1 for titanfall, the next gen Halo and destiny on either console).  At the moment I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I live in South Africa so getting the top end equipment that is mentioned here tends to be a bit of a mission though Amazon, Ebay and a few other places do ship stuff here.  I'm trying to decide whether to get the Skullcandy Plyr 1(which Amazon will send) and will be really easy to sort out or go down the more complicated route of getting an astro mix amp pro off ebay and then getting a good set of headphones like the Philips X1 or the sony MA900 with a V-Moda BoomPro gaming mic.  I like the idea of the mixamp as it gives me the freedom to upgrade by getting a nice amp for headphones or upgrading my headphones further down the line. Will the difference in sound quality be worth extra work and expense? 

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #18,834 of 48,568
  Hey guys, just joined the site (mainly for this thread) and wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful contributions.  I'm an avid gamer on both current gen consoles and am getting my ps4 on Friday.  I currently have a tritton AX Pro which I can't say I'm too happy with and also my out of the box amp/speaker system.  I'm looking to upgrade for my multiplayer fps action(mainly bf4 but I also see myself getting an Xbox 1 for titanfall, the next gen Halo and destiny on either console).  At the moment I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I live in South Africa so getting the top end equipment that is mentioned here tends to be a bit of a mission though Amazon, Ebay and a few other places do ship stuff here.  I'm trying to decide whether to get the Skullcandy Plyr 1(which Amazon will send) and will be really easy to sort out or go down the more complicated route of getting an astro mix amp pro off ebay and then getting a good set of headphones like the Philips X1 or the sony MA900 with a V-Moda BoomPro gaming mic.  I like the idea of the mixamp as it gives me the freedom to upgrade by getting a nice amp for headphones or upgrading my headphones further down the line. Will the difference in sound quality be worth extra work and expense? 

You'll have an issue trying to use the MA900 with the V-Moda cable. Unfortunately the cable is non-removable on the MA900; no matter how much I wish otherwise. It'll work well with the X1 as I've seen a few people post about the combo working for them. I've never heard the Plyr but as I understand it's closed, so you should find better detail and positional queues with an open headphone. That said, closed headphones offer isolation and the Plyr does seem like a decent all-in-one setup. Going the Mixamp route lets you upgrade your system easily as you've said. I've owned both a wired and wireless Mixamp and both were great, allowing me to change headphones/amps whenever I wanted. If you're looking for a "future proof" system, I feel the time and financial investment into the Mixamp is a better path. Ultimately that decision is up to you.

Also, welcome officially to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet and all that jazz.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #18,835 of 48,568
Thanks for the edits. Typing before thinking again. lol

I totally didn't even realize I did any editing, I just typed from memory. Much of the time, my spelling and grammar is nothing to write home about. I just genuinely thought you made a good summary of points.

Hnnnnnnngh!

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #18,836 of 48,568
Hmm.  Max Payne 3 shows $19.99 for me. 

I did already buy Max Payne 1, 2, & 3 last week for $6.99 though.  
regular_smile .gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #18,837 of 48,568
Hmm.  Max Payne 3 shows $19.99 for me. 

I did already buy Max Payne 1, 2, & 3 last week for $6.99 though.  
regular_smile%20.gif

http://www.dealzon.com/deals/max-payne-3

Always check Dealzon. They list steam, origin, gamefly, green man gaming, and all the sales you can find....

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #18,839 of 48,568
Ending up getting the arcam r dac wireless version..it works with my iphone with free app and with the free wireless dongle works from my pc over wifi..i have it plugged into my xbox in the bedroom(pc's downstairs) with my sennheiser headset and it goes through my Cambridge audio amp and wharfedale speakers for watching youtube catch up tv..it's much better than the other two dongles(dacmagic xs and dragonfly) by a long margin..not harsh sounding and the sound stage is much bigger with separation of instruments and you can hear things that you couldn't here before..peoples voices when they are talking on youtube are much more natural sounding..it's just a much better sound altogether..glad I got it now..this one definitely won't be going back!

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #18,840 of 48,568
How's this thread holding up? Thought I'd share that I finally got a xonar u3, using digital out to my DAD DAC05 which I use with my Stax T1 amp. Using my newly aqcuired Sigmas (normal bias). That headphone must be a gamers dream! Skyrim sounds amazing so far, magnificent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back