Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #18,796 of 48,562
To be fair, he could've mentioned on his youtube page that he was gonna start doing sneaker reviews, lol.

How the F do you review sneakers??

LOL, crazy sneaker-philes.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #18,797 of 48,562
OOH, THE SOLES ON THESE ARE SO COMFY. LOOK AT THE CURVES ON TONGUE. THE STITCH PATTERN MATCHES WELL WITH THE NIKE LOGO. YUP, THIS IS HIGH END.

:D

Jk. I dunno. There are sneaker enthusiasts, for sure. I just like something that looks good, and is of a reputable brand.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #18,798 of 48,562
I just like something that looks good, and is of a reputable brand.
That sounds like the head fi equivalent of someone coming in and only wanting beats (although I don't think beats look good and I don't find them reputable : |)

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #18,799 of 48,562
Someone has already tried the Corsair Vengeance 1400 headset? currently i have a Asus DGX 5.1 dedicated soundcard on my pc and of course i don't care about music and stuff just gaming. I was already sold on the Samson SR850, but having a mic is kind of important for me. So... what do you think guys, the 1400 is it worth it?

BTW i only use headset for Battlefield 3/4

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #18,800 of 48,562
That sounds like the head fi equivalent of someone coming in and only wanting beats (although I don't think beats look good and I don't find them reputable : |)

Well, thats because people who dont have any real enthusiasm about a hobby, really just buys whatever looks good and is of a good brand. I guess thats just a typical consumer who doesnt really do their homework on a product.

If I wasnt into audio, I'd probably would be real happy with some Beats. Since its a general opinion that they are the most popular and well known headphone makers, thats what I'd go for if I wanted to feel I got the best, without caring. Advertising is everything. Hell, I'm sure we probably have some sneakers of a reputable brand, and not because we did our homework as to which has the most bang for buck.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #18,801 of 48,562
  Someone has already tried the Corsair Vengeance 1400 headset? currently i have a Asus DGX 5.1 dedicated soundcard on my pc and of course i don't care about music and stuff just gaming. I was already sold on the Samson SR850, but having a mic is kind of important for me. So... what do you think guys, the 1400 is it worth it?

BTW i only use headset for Battlefield 3/4

Had the 1500's on loan (USB). Just dull for games, dull for movies and dull for music. No bass, but the lack of it doesn't help the mids or highs one bit for FPS's. Maybe using your Asus might invigorate the experience over the USB soundcard; but I doubt it. Good mic. Very uncomfortable - maybe these new ones have changed that, but they look the same. They got good reviews from gaming websites. Sheesh.

I'm willing to bet if you asked MLE or others here to review the Corsair Vengeance (USB or analog) they'd give them:

Fun: 5/10 (Mediocre).
Competitive: 5/10 (Mediocre).
Comfort: 3/10 (God Awful).

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #18,802 of 48,562
Is there anyone who has used Sharkoon X-Tatic Digital or S7? These headphones look really good but I have to see some users opinion. BTW I don't care about music quality. Gaming and movies are important.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #18,803 of 48,562
  Had the 1500's on loan (USB). Just dull for games, dull for movies and dull for music. No bass, but the lack of it doesn't help the mids or highs one bit for FPS's. Maybe using your Asus might invigorate the experience over the USB soundcard; but I doubt it. Good mic. Very uncomfortable - maybe these new ones have changed that, but they look the same. They got good reviews from gaming websites. Sheesh.

I'm willing to bet if you asked MLE or others here to review the Corsair Vengeance (USB or analog) they'd give them:

Fun: 5/10 (Mediocre).
Competitive: 5/10 (Mediocre).
Comfort: 3/10 (God Awful).

Well thx a lot SaLX even though i cannot catch a break, i guess the quality of headsets is not even close to the one on headphones. I still want some 50mm Headphones/set and my budget is around 80-90usd any other suggestions or should i go straight to the SR850's

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #18,804 of 48,562
Hi,

I've read and posted multiple times but I just can't decide.

My priority is comfort > gaming > music. I am not a huge fan of bass and would rather have more and cleared details. They will not be leaving my desk and I don't really have a strict budget.

MA900s seem to be exactly what I want but I really dislike the way they look. I feel like spending $200 on something when I don't like how they look is a bad idea.

AKG k/q 701/702/etc seem to be my second choice. I like how they look and everything. The problem here is that I cannot get Amazon to ship them to me. They are ridiculously priced in Canada as well.

AKG 702 Annies seem perfect but pricey. I can't really find them for less than $439 and that is from someone who wont even ship to me. The HE-400's are in this price range as well, but the annies are better for what I want to use them for.

Philips X1 - Seem like an okay option but they're pricey and have heard bad things about them.

So anyway, some questions:

1. Any recommendations on what to go for and where to get them from?
  2. What all will I need for these setups? I do not have a soundcard or any other device. Which should I grab? Are amps useless for something that doesn't need it or is it a good purchase anyway? EG: I have been told MA900s don't need one, but will it make the sound better?
  3. As someone inexperienced with headphones (Using $30 Plantronics should I stay away from more expensive models like HE-400 and annies? I don't know what I want or what I like yet. I am nowhere near anywhere to be able to test anything out. I'd probably have to drive four hours on ice to be able to get to a place I could.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #18,805 of 48,562
MA900s seem to be exactly what I want but I really dislike the way they look. I feel like spending $200 on something when I don't like how they look is a bad idea.

1. Kind of know what you're on about, however look again at their engineering and design with new eyes. They are designed to be as light as a feather hence their headband is thin and made of magnesium for strength (unless I'm mistaken). Look at the huge circumference of the cups - they have huge drivers that impart that wonderful soundstage, hence their size. Form follows function. It's a great headphone by all accounts and that's how the design evolved from the initial brief. Try and re-appraise your feelings for them based on that; as most importantly, the MA900 is the headphone for you by your own admission.

I think they look very elegant myself.

2. I have never looked at myself in a mirror wearing headphones. Nor should you.
darthsmile.gif

eek.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #18,806 of 48,562

1. Kind of know what you're on about, however look again at their engineering and design with new eyes. They are designed to be as light as a feather hence their headband is thin and made of magnesium for strength (unless I'm mistaken). Look at the huge circumference of the cups - they have huge drivers that impart that wonderful soundstage, hence their size. Form follows function. It's a great headphone by all accounts and that's how the design evolved from the initial brief. Try and re-appraise your feelings for them based on that; as most importantly, the MA900 is the headphone for you by your own admission.

I think they look very elegant myself.

2. I have never looked at myself in a mirror wearing headphones. Nor should you.
darthsmile.gif

eek.gif

Fair enough! They just seem so flimsy though. While watching a YouTube review of them it just seems like the ears seem to roll around. My big question with these is will I notice a big enough difference if I go with q701s? I also don't need anything else with mA900s right? No sound card or amp? I can get a Maximus VI Hero MoBo which has exceptional onboard sound.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #18,807 of 48,562
I wish there was a closed version of the X1 or MA900. I need some sub $200 HP's to replace my Denon D2000's (r.i.p. at least for now...). I miss that D2000 sound with the bass impact and presence. If I didn't have the kids and wife close by constantly some open headphones would be on the way to try out. I am so-so thinking DT770-80's. I do game a fair bit, but listen to  a lot of music...mostly rock, metal, a little rap. I like solid bass, low extension and lower impact, and loud volumes when I am in the mood to damage my ear drums with pure negligence!

Any suggestions?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #18,808 of 48,562
  I wish there was a closed version of the X1 or MA900. I need some sub $200 HP's to replace my Denon D2000's (r.i.p. at least for now...). I miss that D2000 sound with the bass impact and presence. If I didn't have the kids and wife close by constantly some open headphones would be on the way to try out. I am so-so thinking DT770-80's. I do game a fair bit, but listen to  a lot of music...mostly rock, metal, a little rap. I like solid bass, low extension and lower impact, and loud volumes when I am in the mood to damage my ear drums with pure negligence!

Any suggestions?

It won't be Dx000 bass, but the Soundmagic HP100 can definitely hold its own at the $200 price range...

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #18,810 of 48,562
I'll look into the Soundmagics...I had glanced at them once or twice. Seems like the HP out on my Denon AVR might drive them nicely too.... that output is making my JVC HADX3's sound quite nice atm. But it's not designed for the bass I seek....though it's 2/3 of the way there with the Denon powering them. That gives me big hope on those soundmagics. I may have to sell a couple of my hp's to make this happen.

Any other pair to look at? The Soundmagics seem like something right up my alley...I'm hoping they're not too bass-light. Wish I had a local place to test them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back