Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 15, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #16,801 of 48,578
Chico, you have tried using stocking to mod the x1 pad, will it change the sound?
I also want to buy stocking to protect my x1 pad. My gf thought i become a creep, buying a stocking...

I haven't tried stockings, but I highly doubt it would affect the sound. 

I've tried these and they don't affect anything:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2625#post_9790098

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #16,802 of 48,578
The HE-400 isn't gonna have that mid bass thump that the 990s have, so be warned. the bass is well presented and incredibly linear, but it is NOT emphasized, so don't expect anything near basshead level performance. Just natural bass.

i know but i want a nice linear bass. it has moe bass than the 880 right

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #16,803 of 48,578
I cant find headphone cover here, not even online...
Damn, stocking is so expensive here, like 10usd a pair.
I just use a short woman socks, or whatever this is. Hope this works.

Edit, result:

Not exactly good, but close enough. I dont think it effect the sound...

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #16,804 of 48,578

I haven't tried stockings, but I highly doubt it would affect the sound. 

I've tried these and they don't affect anything:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2625#post_9790098

Hmm good idea 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #16,805 of 48,578
Looks like I'll be full sized headphone-less for about a month. :tongue_smile:

Don't worry about me, guys. Enjoy the MA900s. We'll see if impulses don't kick in and I find myself buying something else in the meantime. :rolleyes:

Guess I'd better pack up my M-100 today and ship it off tomorrow, just to keep your ears busy and give you something new to hear.

I am still interested in the MA900 for giggles. I was trying to find things to be critical of the K712 last night, and honestly I didn't find anything damning, especially after I switched amps. That tube needs to be rolled... Guess today is as good as any to bias the other Bugle Boy and see if I prefer it, or try a Voskhod for something new, or give the K712 a chance with the Sylvania I really enjoyed (magical) with the Q701. Back to the K712, the comfort is more than fair, I love it. Without having seen a frequency chart yet, it feels like you take a neutral line, bump up the mid or higher bass (while also increasing impact), make a small bump down somewhere in the mids but mostly level, and then the usual treble with a spike in it but the spike is more rounded and less glaring than in the Q, and possibly not as extended (little smoother darker, though not what I'd call a dark headphone). I think it's interesting to read Chico's HD650 impressions, because last night I was thinking by the end of it "this seems to match what people say to describe the HD650." I'd probably find the HD650 interesting, but if the HD650 was any more restrained and also less soundstage, I wouldn't need to keep it. I'm still interested in the DT880, though what is it? Better bass & treble extension than the Q701, but less midrange and more treble?

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #16,806 of 48,578
 Better bass & treble extension than the Q701, but less midrange and more treble?

Honestly I like the mids, not to great for Vocals but with enough Volts and the right pairing it's a sexy combo 

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #16,807 of 48,578

Axel lives about ~45 minutes from me, so he's also welcome to try my X1s.  I figured he would have heard them at a meet by now, but it hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately the meets have fallen on days where I haven't been able to get the time off. Last night was especially bad since the Mayweather vs Alvarez fight was on. Mayweather and most UFC fights have a tendency to absolutely kill our call centers. Tonight there's a WWE fight but thankfully they're not as popular, so I don't expect my agents will be as slammed as last night. I will make it to one of the meets this year, even if I have to organize it myself. Hopefully by the next one my ADs will be in. I don't think I've been that anxious for a headphone since I first ordered my Fischer FA-011s and had to wait on shipping from Russia.

Guess I'd better pack up my M-100 today and ship it off tomorrow, just to keep your ears busy and give you something new to hear.

Now there's a review I'd be interested in seeing.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #16,808 of 48,578
Honestly I like the mids, not to great for Vocals but with enough Volts and the right pairing it's a sexy combo 

I always thought the DT880 would be attractive for me, though I would probably make use of my tube amp to find something with synergy to bring out the mids. That helped the HE400. Which is why I'm confused that the tube amp WASN'T my fav pairing with the K712 last night, though I will disclose that the particular tube I used isn't my fav AND when I was setting up I realized the amp was already on, powering nothing since Thursday night. Ehhhhh...

Unfortunately the meets have fallen on days where I haven't been able to get the time off. Last night was especially bad since the Mayweather vs Alvarez fight was on. Mayweather and most UFC fights have a tendency to absolutely kill our call centers. Tonight there's a WWE fight but thankfully they're not as popular, so I don't expect my agents will be as slammed as last night. I will make it to one of the meets this year, even if I have to organize it myself. Hopefully by the next one my ADs will be in. I don't think I've been that anxious for a headphone since I first ordered my Fischer FA-011s and had to wait on shipping from Russia.

Now there's a review I'd be interested in seeing.

OOOH, which Audio Technicas? And what kind of call center? O_o
And yeah, I'm also quite interested in Mad's take, but I don't think he'd try them if they aren't provided. FWIR I think they may surprise him, pleather pads closed and all. Like Super Cal!s, lol.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #16,809 of 48,578
I always thought the DT880 would be attractive for me, though I would probably make use of my tube amp to find something with synergy to bring out the mids. That helped the HE400. Which is why I'm confused that the tube amp WASN'T my fav pairing with the K712 last night, though I will disclose that the particular tube I used isn't my fav AND when I was setting up I realized the amp was already on, powering nothing since Thursday night. Ehhhhh...

Oh crud, Evshurg you always shut down your gear after you done with it >.>

also nice to see you again :3 I decided to skip the Tube Purchase and stick with SS for now. Till I can afford a nice one... as I'm starting to balance my headphones >.> and I'm wanting to run an all balanced At home rig 

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #16,810 of 48,578
Holy Crap Mshenay, you're going balanced on me? Your ability to conjure up money amazes me :)
This is only like the second time I forgot to shut off the tube amp, I don't think it actually hurts anything except for wasting some of the hours of life a tube will have. I'm not worried about it, the part that bothers me most is a little more spent on the electric bill (not sure how much).

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #16,811 of 48,578
Holy Crap Mshenay, you're going balanced on me? Your ability to conjure up money amazes me
smily_headphones1.gif

This is only like the second time I forgot to shut off the tube amp, I don't think it actually hurts anything except for wasting some of the hours of life a tube will have. I'm not worried about it, the part that bothers me most is a little more spent on the electric bill (not sure how much).

ME an MONEY... I didn't buy like 3 Tube amps now did I xD yea  I think ur in a league above me. Now that said, I got ym Dt 880 Balanced for $235 which I paid for with many sales buys and re sales 

any how going with an Audio GD 10es2 which I can pay with mah paychecks and money from the Sale of my Matrix an oDac  

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #16,812 of 48,578
OOOH, which Audio Technicas? And what kind of call center? O_o
And yeah, I'm also quite interested in Mad's take, but I don't think he'd try them if they aren't provided. FWIR I think they may surprise him, pleather pads closed and all. Like Super Cal!s, lol.

Audio Technicas? I'm lost now. :p Can't stand their wing design so I stay far away from them. As for the call center, I work for one of the big bad cable companies. Use to be a tier 3 support technician but recently I moved into the command center for the midwest. Basically I'm one of the people in charge of managing the call volume for every call center east of the Mississippi with a couple small areas as exceptions.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #16,813 of 48,578
I only ever bought the one tube amp, just 3 sets of tubes for $15-$20 each, only the FiiO E5 and E12 solid-state amps, and I still haven't bought an audiophile DAC. Not really judging, just reflecting on me and how I hem and haw for a long time about any purchase. Anywho, that balanced DT880 sounds high-tier legit, please make impressions available?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #16,814 of 48,578
I only ever bought the one tube amp, just 3 sets of tubes for $15-$20 each, only the FiiO E5 and E12 solid-state amps, and I still haven't bought an audiophile DAC. Not really judging, just reflecting on me and how I hem and haw for a long time about any purchase. Anywho, that balanced DT880 sounds high-tier legit, please make impressions available?

Sadly Balanced DT 880 is still Mid Fi, balanceing only REALLY adds to the sound stage. Aside from that not too much more

and do you not own a Lyr? I mean you told me you got my Indeed than you bought like 2 other tubes amps a month later 

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #16,815 of 48,578
Audio Technicas? I'm lost now. :p Can't stand their wing design so I stay far away from them. As for the call center, I work for one of the big bad cable companies. Use to be a tier 3 support technician but recently I moved into the command center for the midwest. Basically I'm one of the people in charge of managing the call volume for every call center east of the Mississippi with a couple small areas as exceptions.

Sorry, you said AD, and I immediately thought AD700, AD1000, etc.
I don't think the cable companies are big bad. I grew up without cable, wanted what I couldn't have for a while (before I got hard), but once we got cable (after I moved away to college) I just haven't been compelled to spend the money on it, and now that I'm back at my mom's (aaaany day now I'll find a roomie) and I can watch cable, I'd rather be doing one of my other hobbies. Ain't got no trouble with Cable, but it's not dear to me either. Mostly watch BBC ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back