Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #15,316 of 48,578
Quote:
Hey gamers, check this out...

http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-33935701-Gaming-Desk/dp/B0058O8EN8

If I can find a way to rearrange things in my small place I am so jumpin on this. Too bad space is too cluttered where my small desk is, now, because this would be replacing it.

I've had that in my wish list for a while now. I use that to track things I want to buy eventually, not as a gift list for friends and family. But honestly, every time I go thorough my list and look at it I never end up buying it just because of how cheap it looks. I realize for about $100 I won't be getting amazing quality, but even the Ikea desks that aren't much more look better to me. Just my 2 cents.

Granted, that desk does have a built in headphone rack, which could be nice for someone who only uses 1 set when they're on the computer. I'd need more than 1 since I use closed/open depending on ambient noise from the wife watching TV or something.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #15,317 of 48,578
Quote:
I've been using Dolby Headphone for the past few days, and I must say, it definitely gives games a more spacious and enjoyable sound, and positional cues are better than regular stereo aswell, even though my K540's aren't well suited for gaming. Overall, I'm glad I bought the DSS, because I can feel it has a lot of potenial with other, more spacious sounding headphones. There are times in S&D games in MW2 were I was the last man standing, and I killed like 3 guys that were all around me because I sound whored them, and I know it would be harder doing that with regular stereo. 

Another happy convert! Welcome to the club

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #15,318 of 48,578
Quote:
I don't like monitors to sit so high up because most monitors/screens have bad vertical viewing angles. They usually look better at or below eye level, not above. Can't wait for OLED monitors.

I recommend mounting monitors to help with viewing angles. We use the Dual LCD monitor mounting system in some of our offices, the desks where more than one monitor is needed. It helps out a lot getting the correct angles and height on a per person basis.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #15,319 of 48,578
Well, I no longer have a monitor since I'm using my laptop screen, but if i sell my ridiculously oversized plasma, I might get a 27" IPS or something, which isn't bad on viewing angles. Since my room is so dimly lit, glossy screens are what I like. Never been a fan of matte.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #15,321 of 48,578
You can try that Razer surround program that is free, but I personally didn't care for it due to non-existent rear positional cues.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #15,322 of 48,578
The Razer Surround program seems to work quite differently than the Mixamp when it comes to HTRF. I've found that I'm not actually sure whether or not I prefer it for gaming (it helps with positional cues but just sounds...off, in a way I can't describe) but for music, it works amazingly (unlike the Mixamp, which just sounds echo-y).

I did notice that Razer Surround is lacking in rear positonal cues, but fortunately you can tune it to compensate a bit. Here's mine as of right now;

Personally, I feel like Razer Surround works far better as a music DSP than an actual gaming assist tool as intended. It tends to make detail really pop because all of the different instruments that are panned differently are all placed very distinctly in the soundstage. It sounds very 3D, IMO, but YMMV. It also might help because I'm using Stax Lambdas, which have a very unique kind of soundstage.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #15,324 of 48,578
Jul 22, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #15,325 of 48,578
If it's so bad, surely you can contribute something better to the thread? 
devil_face.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #15,326 of 48,578
If it's so bad, surely you can contribute something better to the thread? 
devil_face.gif

Playing thread police (and being bad at it) is the worst kind of contribution, my friend. 

Without knowing budget, room layout, the rest of his furniture (which might need a replacemen as well?), (even a certain design preference) it's hard to give a recommendation. 
"Change is good" is intelligent enough, so please don't insult him by thinking he only relies on reduced, safe, generic "one day shipping" stuff that needs to recommended to him.

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #15,327 of 48,578
This is the effect of the full moon guys. Calm down :)

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #15,328 of 48,578
Hi,

I want to buy my first good headphone and after reading a lot I think the best headphone for me would be one that I could use for gaming, movies and music, like the DT 990. But I ended up with one doubt.
My question is if the DT 990 PRO + Soud Blaster Z is enough for this headphone or I would also need to get an amp? If yes/optional, would Schiit Magni be a good choice?
Or would be better to get the Z card and a cheaper headphone?

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #15,329 of 48,578
DT990 isn't a particularly balanced headphone?

Back to OT! Furniture-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back