Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #15,331 of 48,578
Hi,

I want to buy my first good headphone and after reading a lot I think the best headphone for me would be one that I could use for gaming, movies and music, like the DT 990. But I ended up with one doubt.
My question is if the DT 990 PRO + Soud Blaster Z is enough for this headphone or I would also need to get an amp? If yes/optional, would Schiit Magni be a good choice?

Or would be better to get the Z card and a cheaper headphone?

Thanks!

The Sound Blaster Z can power the 990 Pro 250 (I'm assuming you're looking at the 250 as it's the least expensive). It will sound awesome, but be aware that you'll be using SBX Surround for audio positioning in games, which some feel is inferior to other technologies for game positioning, e.g. Dolby Headphone.

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #15,332 of 48,578
Quote:
So I'm supposed to say that razer surround is good even though it messed up my soundcard? I don't think that's how it works.
blink.gif

No, what you are supposed to do is not make strong claims that there are better pieces of software/hardware available and then not provide any information to back it up.

"Thread policing" might be "the worst kind of contribution", but downplaying other people's suggestions without adding anything of your own is negative contribution. You make whoever suggested it feel like an idiot, and you contribute nothing to the actual mission at hand. Not to mention the fact that you even stated to have no idea about any of his needs or personal preferences, so what gives you the right to just knock down other people's contributions with no basis whatsoever? It's rude and unhelpful.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #15,335 of 48,578
Quote:

My point was to differentiate what you did from what he did. You didn't do that, but he did.

Maybe you start quoting so that we understand who is who.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #15,336 of 48,578
No, what you are supposed to do is not make strong claims that there are better pieces of software/hardware available and then not provide any information to back it up.

"Thread policing" might be "the worst kind of contribution", but downplaying other people's suggestions without adding anything of your own is negative contribution. You make whoever suggested it feel like an idiot, and you contribute nothing to the actual mission at hand. Not to mention the fact that you even stated to have no idea about any of his needs or personal preferences, so what gives you the right to just knock down other people's contributions with no basis whatsoever? It's rude and unhelpful.

There's no downplay involved neither was there any offense towards "change is good". Why would I offend him? Where's the basis of my offense? There is none, it's just that you've taken his place (without asking his opinion or actual position) by your very own projection. That's a very insecure thing to do. You should let it go.

You can be as geeky as much as you want (as we all are in this forum) but your interior should be mature.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #15,337 of 48,578
Quote:
You can be as geeky as much as you want (as we all are in this forum) but your interior should be mature.

Pfft. My dorm room is absolutely covered in geeky things. I even have a motherboard just up on the wall. Its awesome.

I can understand the point of not getting something because it doesn't look well built or sturdy, but one persons "classy" is going to be another person's "boring."
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #15,338 of 48,578
You've taken his place (without asking his opinion or actual position) by your very own projection. That's a very insecure thing to do. You should let it go.

Ludicrous. My point is that you have no idea what someone else's tastes in furniture are, so why are you projecting your own values on someone else? Maybe other people like functional, geeky furniture. I know for a fact that I would love to have a wire-frame desk such as the one posted, at least for easier cable management.

As for some suggestions to desks, I found some I liked on Amazon in a variety of styles (because I'm not going to claim that other people are only allowed to enjoy certain styles) in about three minutes:

http://www.amazon.com/Furinno-11181EX-BK-10015E-Computer/dp/B003VP5Y4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374517606&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+desk

http://www.amazon.com/South-Shore-Axess-Collection-Black/dp/B003FGWY1O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374517606&sr=8-5&keywords=computer+desk

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Line-Belaire-Glass-L-Shaped-Computer/dp/B0019MAUTE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1374517606&sr=8-15&keywords=computer+desk

http://www.amazon.com/Prepac-White-Floating-Desk-Storage/dp/B009I2AL8W/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1374517635&sr=8-23&keywords=computer+desk

http://www.amazon.com/Cabot-Corner-Desk-with-Hutch/dp/B007R40FSO/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1374517670&sr=8-63&keywords=computer+desk

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-WS7500-Wood-Workstation/dp/B001E33176/ref=sr_1_64?ie=UTF8&qid=1374517670&sr=8-64&keywords=computer+desk

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #15,339 of 48,578
Let it go..

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #15,341 of 48,578
I'd put up a picture of something completely irrelevant to stop the current line of posts, but I just woke up.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #15,342 of 48,578
Quote:
I want to buy my first good headphone and after reading a lot I think the best headphone for me would be one that I could use for gaming, movies and music, like the DT 990. But I ended up with one doubt.
My question is if the DT 990 PRO + Sound Blaster Z is enough for this headphone or I would also need to get an amp? If yes/optional, would Schiit Magni be a good choice?
Or would be better to get the Z card and a cheaper headphone?

Usually it's better to put cash towards the headphone, over anything else.
For the price of what the DT990 + Sound Blaster Z cost, your not going to do any better.
I'm sure Schiit Magni is a better headphone amplifier then what is built into the Z card.
But chances are, with the Magni ($99), your going to want to buy something with a DAC chip in it (external DAC $60-$100 or a used ($55) sound card?)

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #15,343 of 48,578
Quote:
Usually it's better to put cash towards the headphone, over anything else.
For the price of what the DT990 + Sound Blaster Z cost, your not going to do any better.
I'm sure Schiit Magni is a better headphone amplifier then what is built into the Z card.
But chances are, with the Magni ($99), your going to want to buy something with a DAC chip in it (external DAC $60-$100 or a used ($55) sound card?)

But if you're listening from your computer, you'll get better sound from the Z than the onboard audio.  Plus the Z has some nice DSP and EQ. I'd do the Z rather than onboard plus the Magni.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #15,344 of 48,578
Haha... while sleeping... I get called geeky and classless for picking a desk that fits my needs in this forsaken small apartment I'm in. Yeah, its a desk made of cheap material, that's all that needed to be said.

Back to sleep I go... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #15,345 of 48,578
Quote:
Haha... while sleeping... I get called geeky and classless for picking a desk that fits my needs in this forsaken small apartment I'm in. Yeah, its a desk made of cheap material, that's all that needed to be said.

Back to sleep I go... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Don't remember anyone calling you geeky or classless for that matter? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back