"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,638 of 6,388
Quote:
but something better than that:p

you could also get a recable done and then send it to dan, or IIRC some people sent their Mad Dogs in for recabling after the mod.

EDIT:  Some links
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587586/btg-audio-headphone-recabling-service-great-service/45#post_8767509
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587586/btg-audio-headphone-recabling-service-great-service/45#post_8753462

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,639 of 6,388
Quote:
You can get the vmoda cable 

In case you missed this earlier, the V-Moda cable is now shipping with the Dog Pad version of the headphone.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 30, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #1,641 of 6,388
Just a short update after some listening on an Objective2 and an iBasso PB2.

The O2 surprisingly seems to sound louder  and punchier but misses out on a lot of detail and air. Sounds very concentrated and doesn't spread the love.

It sounds very clubby with some EQing but never really reaches the finesse of the PB2,

If you like loud with a lot of bass but not worried about details, then the O2 is a good pairing.

Coming to the PB2, it doesn't seem to have the sheer grunt which is absolutely surprising considering it an absolute monster in that department.

Don't fret mates as it trumps with a lot more detail and clarity. It seems to possess a spatiality and clarity that the O2 lacks. Clearly a winner here.

Will have a look at the PB2 to ensure its working properly as I was running the AD797 Opamp and BUF634P-WB High Bandwidth buffers.

I was testing them with the Vmoda cable and will report back with the AiAiAi cable once I get it.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,642 of 6,388
I've just listened to the MD again, this time paired with the Fostex HP-A8c 32 bit DAC headphone amp. I played my songs of choice on Foobar (Win 7) with KS output set to 32 bit. The connection was obviously through USB. The LCD told me that the audio was 48 khz and the volume was -12db.

With this setup, I can plug 2 headphones to the HP-A8c. So I've decided to plug a Fidelio X1 next to the MD. It was a short listening session, only 2 - 3 songs. I usually make time to listen for hours. So it's not really AB-ing, but more into getting impressions of the X1.

Long story - short, my sound preference kept on taking me back to the Mad Dog with Dog Pads. The pairing resulted a clear and smoother sound but I don't think it's mellow. The mids were fuller. Depth was even more excellent. I love this pairing! I regret that I wasn't thinking about trying the MD 840 pads with this setup.

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,645 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm sure I put the same on here but no-one interested. They are really good cables as well. I'd be more than willing to send one to Dan to have a go of.

Sure, happy to check it out if you want... PM me.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,647 of 6,388
Quote:
Well we don't want metal cymbals to sound like metal do we!

Also I will be auditioning your 'mad dog' this saturday! I wonder how it will sound through my hisoundaudio rocoo p, it has 80mw/channel, will this be enough? :)

I borrowed my friends Mad Dogs to try em out and I tested them with my Rocoo P....it sounded really good. Granted I do not have listening experience through high end amplifiers. I was actually blown  away by both the MadDogs and the tiny Rocoo P.

Coming to the Mad Dogs...damn they are really good. It put my Beyer COP to shame. I'm also having a tough time going back to my K550s.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,648 of 6,388
Quote:

I borrowed my friends Mad Dogs to try em out and I tested them with my Rocoo P....it sounded really good. Granted I do not have listening experience through high end amplifiers. I was actually blown  away by both the MadDogs and the tiny Rocoo P.

Coming to the Mad Dogs...damn they are really good. It put my Beyer COP to shame. I'm also having a tough time going back to my K550s.

Then you know what's next right???

BUY IT!!!!! :wink:

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,649 of 6,388
Thanks!

However, I was personally more interested in measurements for Dog Pad MD's versus the 840-pad MD's, not versus the stock. 
The stock one come with Shure 840 pads.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,650 of 6,388
Quote:

I actually got a chance to listen to them on the rocoo p, while still sounding ok, they really opened up on a more powerful amp.
If you liked it on the rocoo p, man you'll love them on a desktop amp. Seriously the difference is very, very noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back