"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #6,376 of 6,388
Arrived at "the show" early and got to spend time with Jason at the schiit table. Tried out the MD on the Lyr/Bifrost compared to my M/M stack. Noticeable improvement.

Been looking for an open HP to compliment the Mad Dogs, and the HE-500 won me over. Beating out the LCD and HD800 at the table.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #6,377 of 6,388
Quote:
Let me ask this then: is it worth it to have 3 neutral cans?(HD650,DT880, and the MD)

I thought you was a Paradox person
eek.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,378 of 6,388
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #6,379 of 6,388
Quote:
Arrived at "the show" early and got to spend time with Jason at the schiit table. Tried out the MD on the Lyr/Bifrost compared to my M/M stack. Noticeable improvement.

Been looking for an open HP to compliment the Mad Dogs, and the HE-500 won me over. Beating out the LCD and HD800 at the table.

Hi! I was wondering if you had the chance to demo the HE-6 by any chance? I was also in the market for an open compliment to the MD's, and was stuck between the HE-500, LCD's and HE-6 as potential upgrades and ended up getting the third. I'd love to hear your opinion between the three, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm simply curious.

Don't sweat it if you can't, though, enjoy yourself!

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #6,380 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
Let me ask this then: is it worth it to have 3 neutral cans?(HD650,DT880, and the MD)

HD650 are very far from neutral. But IMO the HE-400 is more "fun" sounding, but I'd rather have the MD's for sure. 

You make this too difficult. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #6,381 of 6,388
Quote:

Well it really depends on what you want, is isolation a concern? Personally, for a "fun" sounding headphone, I would looking to get one of the old Denons (D2K, D5K, D7K) depending on your budget. The HE-400 is okay (not the biggest fan of these, so I'm a bit bias), but for the ultimate "fun" sounding headphone I would be looking for a Denon. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #6,383 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

Well it really depends on what you want, is isolation a concern? Personally, for a "fun" sounding headphone, I would looking to get one of the old Denons (D2K, D5K, D7K) depending on your budget. The HE-400 is okay (not the biggest fan of these, so I'm a bit bias), but for the ultimate "fun" sounding headphone I would be looking for a Denon. 

This is going to be a grad present, so I need it soon and D2K,D5K, and D7K's are hard to come by found a D2K, not sure if I want though. Isolation is not a concern at all. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #6,385 of 6,388
Quote:
Are any of those "neutral"?

Measurably? Yeah they all have relatively smooth overall FRs, so I'd consider them all fairly neutral with differing warmth/coldnesses. Out of all of them though a good pair of HD650s are probably the most neutral.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #6,386 of 6,388
Jun 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #6,387 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi! I was wondering if you had the chance to demo the HE-6 by any chance? I was also in the market for an open compliment to the MD's, and was stuck between the HE-500, LCD's and HE-6 as potential upgrades and ended up getting the third. I'd love to hear your opinion between the three, if it isn't too much trouble. I'm simply curious.

I didn't get the chance to demo the HE-6. It wasn't on the top of my list, but I had hoped to give it a try. I demoed the HE-400 and new RE600 at the HiFiMAN table but it got really busy around me and to be totally candid, the guy at running the table was a glaring jerk. The girls were kind though. So I ended up moving on to other tables (like Schiit) and demoing the HE-500s there. Jason was awesome. No one was around at that time and I got to chill and try all the cans on the different setups and just chat. His available music selection was far better for my tastes as well. 

After comparing the HD800s, LCD 2.x & 3, HE-400, HE-500, and the version 3.1 Mad Dogs he had on hand, I was happy I purchased the Mad Dogs. The HE-500 were clear winners for my prefered sound in an open headphone. Now I just have to start saving up for a Lyr/Bitfrost for my Mad Dogs and the HE-500s i'd like to pair them with. 

One halarious thing was the weight difference. Right after I took off the HE-500s, I put on a pair of DT990s and the weight difference startled me. I couldn't believe just how light they were in comparison. Wasn't a fan of the sound signature at all. Oh well, the price to pay for the sound of the heavier cans I like is totally worth it. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #6,388 of 6,388

HE6 with a small tripath type speaker amp is next on my list. I liked them better than the LCD2 or the HD800. I liked them as well but for different reasons, as the 007 and 009.

Regarding my comments on neutrality, my question was a little tongue in cheek, and a little serious. I have the MD and the HD650. Both seem a bit warm and bassy side of neutral to me. I have not yet heard the DT880. It occurs to me I may not know what dead neutral is, or if it even exists. I do know I am thrilled with the MD and HD650 as closed and open choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back