"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #46 of 6,388
Quote:
Somebody loan me theirs, I need to get these LCD-2's away from me. I think T50RP's are pretty receptive to cables and stuff too.. time to give Moon Audio a holler (I don't use my own stuff because I'm too lazy to build it) :D

I was just about to ask about after market cables.  Mr.Speaker uses the stock fostex cable.  LFF uses a different after market cable.  How does other cables sound on the Mad Dogs ie..  Yes - cables by Chris_Himself?  

Chris - are you able to re cable these?

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #47 of 6,388
Quote:
I was just about to ask about after market cables.  Mr.Speaker uses the stock fostex cable.  LFF uses a different after market cable.  How does other cables sound on the Mad Dogs ie..  Yes - cables by Chris_Himself?  

Chris - are you able to re cable these?

I've recabled mine with Mogami Neglex Gold cable and a 1/4" Neutrik connector.  The cable forms a "Y" and there's an entry into each the "L" and "R" headphone cups.  It's a fairly beefy cable and I like the performance of it.  Total material cost = $18.00.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #49 of 6,388
Thank you for your impressions, Dorino, very nice!

I also have the Mad Dogs: With the 003 pads and I'd have to say they are preferred to my LCD Rev 2's. I have LCD-3's on order
so that'll be a nice further comparison. I find the Mad Dogs are much more controlled in the bass than say, the Thunderpants,
which I found to be just boomy and uncontrolled. The Mad Dogs are also quite neutral but yet still have that "fun" sound.

I can also attest to Dan's outstanding CS. He is very friendly and continues to offer support even after transaction.
(Including a free upgrade) 

There is also a recent thread about people wondering how these or LFF's Paradox compare to higher end (priced) headphones
like Audeze, Hifiman and other T50RP mods. I've yet to find a headphone that these pale in comparison to.
And at a price that's triple-quadruple cheaper, you really can't go wrong here.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #50 of 6,388
Quote:
Thank you for your impressions, Dorino, very nice!

I also have the Mad Dogs: With the 003 pads and I'd have to say they are preferred to my LCD Rev 2's. I have LCD-3's on order
so that'll be a nice further comparison. I find the Mad Dogs are much more controlled in the bass than say, the Thunderpants,
which I found to be just boomy and uncontrolled. The Mad Dogs are also quite neutral but yet still have that "fun" sound.

I can also attest to Dan's outstanding CS. He is very friendly and continues to offer support even after transaction.
(Including a free upgrade) 

There is also a recent thread about people wondering how these or LFF's Paradox compare to higher end (priced) headphones
like Audeze, Hifiman and other T50RP mods. I've yet to find a headphone that these pale in comparison to.
And at a price that's triple-quadruple cheaper, you really can't go wrong here.

It'd be cool to compare these to Hifiman HE-400's, which are at a similar price-point.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #52 of 6,388
Quote:
It'd be cool to compare these to Hifiman HE-400's, which are at a similar price-point.

I can't speak for the Mad Dog T50RPs, but my modified Fostex headphones stand up nicely to my HE-400s.  There are some areas where the HE-400s excel, and others where the T50RPs do well - such as control in the upper frequencies.  I very much doubt anyone would ever complain of sibilience with the Fostex as they listened to some of those lovely female voices.  With other headphones, it's kind of hit, or miss on  how they handle some of the upper frequencies on those vocals.  Some can't handle it, some are OK, and others excel.  I'll put the Fostex in the category of excel at that point.  Additionally, the bass, mids and comfort are all very nice with these headphones.

I will admit though, there is just something special about my HE-500s that I really love.  For my music, they just do things right.  I also just purchased a pair of HE-300s (Rev. 2) that should arrive early next week.  I'm excited to see where these will fare in the lineup of orthodynamic headphones.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #53 of 6,388
The HE-400 is a great valued headphone. Wouldn't hesitate on it at all. But I do feel they fall short in comparison. I have been called crazy a few times for 
comparing these(Mad Dogs) to the big boys, which I in fact think perform "better" FWIW

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #54 of 6,388
Quote:

I can't speak for the Mad Dog T50RPs, but my modified Fostex headphones stand up nicely to my HE-400s.  There are some areas where the HE-400s excel, and others where the T50RPs do well - such as control in the upper frequencies.  I very much doubt anyone would ever complain of sibilience with the Fostex as they listened to some of those lovely female voices.  With other headphones, it's kind of hit, or miss on  how they handle some of the upper frequencies on those vocals.  Some can't handle it, some are OK, and others excel.  I'll put the Fostex in the category of excel at that point.  Additionally, the bass, mids and comfort are all very nice with these headphones.

I will admit though, there is just something special about my HE-500s that I really love.  For my music, they just do things right.  I also just purchased a pair of HE-300s (Rev. 2) that should arrive early next week.  I'm excited to see where these will fare in the lineup of orthodynamic headphones.

You're quickly becoming a Hifiman collector / fanboy 
atsmile.gif
. Tack on a HE-6 in the near future and you'd have had it all.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #55 of 6,388
Quote:
You're quickly becoming a Hifiman collector / fanboy 
atsmile.gif
. Tack on a HE-6 in the near future and you'd have had it all.

Nah.  Not really a fanboy.  Just someone who knows good sound when his ears hear it. 
wink.gif
  I really doubt if I'll ever own the HE-6.  When I purchased the HE-5LE, it was my understanding that the HE-6 was better in a sense where it was "slightly" more refined.  Again, this falls into one of those categories of diminishing returns.  With each of the headphones I've purchased in the past few years, careful though has (mostly) been applied to ensure the decision was a good one.  Also, I carefully considered the sound / value ratio.  About the only bad mistake I've made when it came to a headphone purchase in the past 6 or 9 months was when I purchased the Brainwavz HM5s. 
eek.gif

It was sad because I got roped into all the hype about them in one of the threads here.  $139?  I think if they sold them for $59, that would be pushing things a bit far.  Actually, I've heard one can order the OEM version from JayCar for about $59, too.  But, the $3.00 or $4.00 is extra accessories are not included.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #56 of 6,388
I had a poor experience with a very hyped IEM under $100 from one of these manufacturers.  It had no bass below 80Hz, and no highs about about 8K.  I have to wonder, sometimes, what people are referencing when they claim something sounds awesome and start hyping it.  It doesn't seem to be live music!  

A fellow I know who owns a very high end mobile recording studio and has given me feedback on voicing the phones told me a story that I think will crack you all up.  He went into recording instead of selling high-end audio gear after a customer who had just purchased a state-of-the-art high end system returned it because the cymbals sounded like they were metal.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #57 of 6,388
Ha! Anyway, I'll agree that these are not remotely sibilant.

I've also had bad experiences with BrainWavz. A sub-50 dollar IEM had one channel die, and it ended up that warranty repair was, due to shipping, nearly as costly as buying a new pair of headphones. I don't plan on dealing with BrainWavz ever again, if I can help it.

Nice cable, though.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #58 of 6,388
The benefit that an O2 has to this headphone over my Cmoy is noticeable and worthwhile. The O2, of course, allows for lower listening volumes without needing to turn down software sliders. (channel imbalance resolves itself much sooner on the O2 than on the Cmoy) and it does seem to sound very good. No noise, very nice.

Overall, it's subtle, but there is audible difference out of the O2. Most of the audible difference isn't in how accurate the sound is, not majorly so. While there may be differences there, it's subtle. However, there are less issues with the O2 (channel imbalance, noise, hiss) that arem themselves, audible, though not necessarily relevant to how "accurate" it is. Worth the additional cost if you were to buy one new, especially if you were to buy one used. The headphone sounds better, flatter, out of the O2 versus the Cmoy, notably. I believe the Cmoy may be just a *tad* bright. With such a "reference" headphone like this, it's easier to see (hear?) that.

I imagine my set-up's largest bottleneck right now is the HRT MSII, and I imagine that's not too far off from ideal either.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #59 of 6,388
Also, another thought. Are there any plans (MrSpeakers) to have Tyll from InnerFidelity measure the current versions of the Mad Dog? Tyll's, historically, been willing to measure the DIY community and is pretty objective. I think it would be nice to compare his measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back