"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 4, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #4,756 of 6,388
For gaming I will also have to disagree. Though I game in Dolby Headphone, the MD just weren't impressive in soundstage or positional cues. They were plenty clear which helps, but overall, I'd give them my first 6.75 in competitive gaming and fun gaming. Keep in mind, thats virtual surround.

Basic stereo is different, and I don't really hear much of a difference with any headphone for gaming in that regard. They all sound flat and one dimensional to me in stereo.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #4,757 of 6,388
I would also have to weigh in to say the MD-Alphas have the widest sound stage I've ever heard from a closed headphone, to my ears easily besting the Sennheiser hd6XXs, though not as wide as, say the HE-500.  The phones with the widest sound stage in my collection, to my ears are the AKG Q701.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4,758 of 6,388
Im not sure but you always seem like u feel you are god of gaming on head-fi. Might be that our ears are different as we do hear and like different things, but the Mad Dog is no slouch in dolby headphone gaming or stereo for that matter.. No flame war here, just think people out there should know not all agree on this.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #4,759 of 6,388
I never said as such. I'm not knocking anyone's opinion here. I'm simply saying I disagree. 30+ headphones on my guide, and the MD is one of the weakest performers for me.

This is solely my opinion of them for gaming. I very much like the MD for music. Best closed headphone I've heard outside of the D7000. They just dont impress me for gaming at all. However, that's just the nature of my overall displeasure with closed headphones, which just can't compete with open headphones, especially for gaming.

You're very much free to disagree with me all you want. I've never said my opinions were the last word for gaming. Even stated at the beginning of my guide that those are all simply my opinion.

One person not having a glowing review on here, and people start getting defensive. I'm a bit more critical/ of headphones than other people. The only headphone I'd give basically a glowing rating is the K702 Anniversary, and I didn't even do that. Everything else has some areas of weakness that I would easily call out. MD being one of them. LCD2 being another, and that's my only full size. The K702 Anniversary is the only headphone I've heard that I didn't find absolutely anything wrong with. Not the best at any one thing, but at least very good to great at basically everything, IMHO.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #4,761 of 6,388
I needed the cash for other things, and despite them not being being as well rounded, the LCD2 was a little more engaging for my preference in music. Trust me, it was close. There are many things I prefer in the Annie over the LCD2 or any other headphone.

But I'm an impulsive person. One who always likes to try new things, even if what I owned was already amazing. I'd be more than happy to go all the way back to the D7000 and call it a day, but my need to try new things wouldn't let me. I even had a chance to trade my LCD2 for a D7000, and said no, despite the D7000 being my favorite headphone.

My next 'wants' are the HE-500 and Fidelio X1.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #4,762 of 6,388
Quote:
Does anyone happen to know how well the Schiit Magni pairs with the Mad dogs?

I'm loving them with my new Schiit stack...you won't be disappointed!

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #4,763 of 6,388
Quote:
The soundstage as in width and depth is almost at the level of DT880 and K701, but none closed headphone will have the same soundstage as a open headphone. As for gaming the 360 degree imaging is excellent and it is perfect for gaming when you need a closed headphone. To many exaggerate the difference in headphones on soundstage, it iseasy to check on some good binaural tracks to test the difference.

I'd disagree with this as well.

I'm with Mad Lust Envy on this. The Mad Dogs have really good soundstage for a pair of closed headphones, but it's nowhere near the level of an open headphone.

And there are closed headphones with the same soundstage as open headphones. Or even larger. Check the Fostex TH900. Or the Beyerdynamic T5P.

I know it's an appreciation thread, but like MLE pointed out, one little negative thing and you guys really get too defensive about it. It's just his opinions... much like the above thoughts are mine. We all hear things differently, right?

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #4,764 of 6,388
For those interested in my gaming review of the Mad Dogs, it's up on my gaming thread. I won't paste it here in fear of causing an uproar. Remember, this is just MY opinion of them for GAMING.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #4,765 of 6,388
I really want Mad Dogs - but there's no way I'm ordering as long as I live where I do because both UPS and USPS consistently delay packages or fail to deliver them.  It's kind of a bummer.  I'll still use Amazon because they'll fix the problem as fast as possible, but other online vendors don't/won't...and even if they do, I'd be truly saddened to see Dan lose $300 replacing an order that UPS or USPS (or FedEx - they ALL suck where I live) lost or delayed.

Hopefully I'm getting out of this gawd-awful city in the gawd-awful Deep South soon.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,766 of 6,388
I don't know that there will be much interest in headphone reviews for gaming purposes here, but it's harmless as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,767 of 6,388
Quote:

I'd disagree with this as well.

I know it's an appreciation thread, but like MLE pointed out, one little negative thing and you guys really get too defensive about it.

Actually, this is NOT the appreciation thread... it was a review thread that grew out of its boundaries! LOL (there's another app thread so as far as I'm concerned, anything goes! Also, I'm in the same boat, I don't particularly think that the sound stage is super wide... they actually remind me of a more "closed-in" HD600... still good though!)

Quote:
For those interested in my gaming review of the Mad Dogs, it's up on my gaming thread. I won't paste it here in fear of causing an uproar. Remember, this is just MY opinion of them for GAMING.

If it causes an "uproar" then so be it! Not everyone ears/mind are equal! I'll check your review out.

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4,768 of 6,388
Just read the review. For the warning and all the hubbub aboutt your opinions, I thought it was a pretty good review. You are indeed a little hard your headphones (I skimmed the other scores), but if that's your style people will just need to adjust accordingly. And nothing in the review felt the least bit insulting or offensive, IMHO.

I will say that while I find my Mad Dogs fine for gaming, I don't play competitive multiplayer, so positioning would be less critical for me than you I think. Anyway, kudos!
smile.gif

EDIT: I stereo game, if that gives you an idea...

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #4,769 of 6,388
I feel that even with the Alpha Pads, the sound is decidely closed and not very dimensional. It sounds like basically any closed headphone ive heard in terms of soundstage depth and width. The Fostex Denons and DT770s are the only closed headphones I've heard that curb that stereotype.

It's not a knock against the MD. It's just what's to be expected out of closed headphones that isolate this well.

+1

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #4,770 of 6,388
Quote:
The soundstage as in width and depth is almost at the level of DT880 and K701, but none closed headphone will have the same soundstage as a open headphone. As for gaming the 360 degree imaging is excellent and it is perfect for gaming when you need a closed headphone. To many exaggerate the difference in headphones on soundstage, it iseasy to check on some good binaural tracks to test the difference.

Incorrect, check out the Fostex TH-900, one of the largest soundstages regardless of the categories open/closed. 

I really want Mad Dogs - but there's no way I'm ordering as long as I live where I do because both UPS and USPS consistently delay packages or fail to deliver them.  It's kind of a bummer.  I'll still use Amazon because they'll fix the problem as fast as possible, but other online vendors don't/won't...and even if they do, I'd be truly saddened to see Dan lose $300 replacing an order that UPS or USPS (or FedEx - they ALL suck where I live) lost or delayed.

Hopefully I'm getting out of this gawd-awful city in the gawd-awful Deep South soon.

Buy them from a fellow Head-Fi member? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree that the Mad Dog's soundstage is somewhat small. It is decent, but I found the D7000 to have a wider soundstage with much better separation. To me, this is NOT a bad thing. The LCD-2 has been widely known to not have a huge soundstage either, despite it costing a thousand dollars, being one of the most popular headphones, and it being open. That wasn't the intention of Audeze to make a headphone with a huge soundstage, because the sound signature is supposed to be intimate. I'd say the same applies for the Mad Dogs. They basically have the same sound signature as the LCD-2 with less refinement, less impact, clarity etc.. That is not to say the Mad Dogs are bad in any of those areas, but that is comparing a $300 headphone to a $1000 headphone. I'd also have to agree that for gaming, the Mad Dogs fall a bit short. Soundstage is critical for competitive gaming and that is just not a strength of the Mad Dogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back