M2Tech HiFace Mods and Discussions
Jul 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #121 of 247

Quote:
Ah yes, I can't have Hiface units sent to me any more! 

Really?  How unfortunate! Does this mean that you will no longer offer the modded units?   I'm really enjoying the boxed mod you did for me.  It is excellent and by far the best money I have spent on equipment yet! 

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #122 of 247

Quote:
Really?  How unfortunate! Does this mean that you will no longer offer the modded units?   I'm really enjoying the boxed mod you did for me.  It is excellent and by far the best money I have spent on equipment yet! 

I can provide modified Hiface units but only those that I buy - I can't receive boxes from outside EU for modification so I'm not doing the "send me your box for modification" service any more - I'm sure you understand this :)

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #123 of 247
Ok guys I think I should have waited a bit before declaring that the BNC socket is 75 or 50 ohms. The feedback that I got will serve me as a lesson for next time.
Nevertheless I got an email from Marco saying that they got their BNC sockets from Tyco.  It is listed on Tyco's website that the socket is 75ohms. Some manufacturers get it right and others don't I guess we would have to measure the impedance for the absolute truth.

Peace!

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/products/en?q=1-1478031-0

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #124 of 247
I was wondering what some of the modders think of changing to optical output?
As with anything else it has it's positives and negative aspects but I was wondering my optical is not offered as an output option?

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #125 of 247
TOSlink or optical carries more jitter than any other digital signals.
The advantage of TOSlink is that it is not vulnerable to interferences since it is not an electrical signal.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #126 of 247

And you don't have to worry about reflections, impedance mismatch, 50 ohm connects,  it adds up,  there are a lot of advantages to Toslink that people overlook.

Quote:
TOSlink or optical carries more jitter than any other digital signals.
The advantage of TOSlink is that it is not vulnerable to interferences since it is not an electrical signal.

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #127 of 247

Quote:
And you don't have to worry about reflections, impedance mismatch, 50 ohm connects,  it adds up,  there are a lot of advantages to Toslink that people overlook.

True. The only trouble is I've never heard optical sound anything other than lousy. Optical is great at avoiding ground loops. I think its RF/EMI immunity is overrated. If your listening space is so noisy that a digital coax with a foil/braid shield isn't enough, you have other problems. Optical is a disaster for jitter control. Since nobody can agree on a damn standard connector for I2S, the best options we've got are AES/EBU and BNC.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #128 of 247

Quote:

Yes, that is what I figured so that is why I asked for peoples opinions as to why they think it is not used with this unit.  There are pros and cons for any of these connection methods.  I think much of the issue come from companies using poor quality transmitters and receivers.
Providing you have quality TX and RX, everything should work out great.  Maybe I will do some testing when I get some time.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #129 of 247
If you can find a quality TX & RX  for coax please tell - even more so for Toslink 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #130 of 247
Well the EVO has Toslink, along with basically every other digital format ever used, so that's one way to go. Another issue with it is that supposedly Toslink isn't reliable above 24/96, which is why many DACs are limited to that when using it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #131 of 247
I just wouldn't bother with TOSlink. S/PDIF outperforms TOSlink in so many ways.
I would only choose TOSlink over S/PDIF when running a digital cable from PC motherboard to the DAC.

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #133 of 247
Yes BNC is one of the 2 terminations possible with S/PDIF coaxial. I'd take BNC over RCA.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #134 of 247

The problem with the EVO is it will still have to be modded since the internal regulators aren't near the quality of what we are getting out of the Hiface mads.

Quote:
Well the EVO has Toslink, along with basically every other digital format ever used, so that's one way to go. Another issue with it is that supposedly Toslink isn't reliable above 24/96, which is why many DACs are limited to that when using it.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #135 of 247

Quote:
The problem with the EVO is it will still have to be modded since the internal regulators aren't near the quality of what we are getting out of the Hiface mads.

Right, but a modded EVO would give you the option to use Toslink or whatever digital connection you choose, without the need for any adapters. I'm curious how the modded Hiface would stack up against a DAC with built in 24/192 asynch USB like the W4S DAC-2. That would be an interesting experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back