M2Tech HiFace Mods and Discussions
Jul 4, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #91 of 247

Quote:
Maybe you have much better listening gear than ccschua. Neither one of you have anything in your profiles.

I wanted to ask, at what point on the leading edge does the recieving end of your dac trigger high? Somewhere in the 500 to 800mV range?

Does the trigger point change if the spdif signal voltage is changed?

Good question - I haven't done the measurements myself - I neither have the equipments nor the expertise but I can direct you to plots from a scope & TDR of with & without attenuator on the output of the Hiface http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/168901-rf-attenuators-jitter-reducers-8.html#post2226135

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #92 of 247

Quote:
my dac is audio-gd reference 1, Audiogd CIA-400, Dynaudio Focus 140. Cable is siltech paris and power by a richard company pro 400.

very soon I will hook up the hiface with blackcat velose.

I compare the hiface to audio-gd cd-7se and it is big difference.

Should I consider the 5V mod? how shall isolate the USB 5V supply

So you are saying your modified Hiface is not as good as the audio-gd cd-7se?
Are you also saying that there was only a minor improvement in it from the stock form of the Hiface?

DIgger945 I don't think this has anything to do with my or Regal's system - it is about the relative difference between the stock & the modified Hiface on his system - there should be a very noticeable improvement as both I & Regal noted.

The reason I don't have a system description on my sig is that it's in continual flux & is very modest, believe me.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #93 of 247

Quote:
So you are saying your modified Hiface is not as good as the audio-gd cd-7se?
Are you also saying that there was only a minor improvement in it from the stock form of the Hiface?

DIgger945 I don't think this has anything to do with my or Regal's system - it is about the relative difference between the stock & the modified Hiface on his system - there should be a very noticeable improvement as both I & Regal noted.

The reason I don't have a system description on my sig is that it's in continual flux & is very modest, believe me.

I don't have a high end system either, but good enough to tell the difference between transports pretty easily, for me anyway.
I am sure that if you have a so-so amp/HPs then it should be very noticable.

I would like to help out. I do have some equipment but the thing I lack most is time. My scope is not a phosphor, but a TDS-420 which should be more than adequate for testing.  One thing I am missing is a HiFace. Maybe if you guys want some testing done to your mods I can do that, slow as it would be through the mail. I can't really afford to purchase a HiFace right now, but keep looking for one on the FS forum anyway.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/digger945/workarea001.jpg?t=1278276498
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/digger945/workarea003.jpg?t=1278276498
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/digger945/workarea002.jpg?t=1278276709

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #94 of 247
The improvement with battery mod is very big over stock Hiface (first unit bought from friend, who bought from JKenny-3 Batteries+RCA JKenny modded Hiface), like Regal i fried my first unit(DIT chip,and some others), when i put 5v from spdif from my Audiosynthesis DAX ,with negative wire from my PC, then with the second Hiface my friend with solder skills
put the transformer and 5v regulator(so i use positive and negative wire-galvanic sepparation).I use 3 batteries, one for clock, and two for the chip(in paralel), and also put the charger into DAX box.Everithing is fully automatic, i mean charging the batteries.(when i stop Dax, batteries starts charging). Direct coupling the usb cable and spdif, are also step forward to SQ.So my new transport(Hiface+Dax) beat my old combo Marantz Dv8300+Dax, and there is no more borring change the redbook CD's.From PC i played with J.River with wasapi.

Here is some pictures:

http://hawaya.snimka.bg/details/dax-hiface.508491

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #95 of 247
Very nice work hawaya(how are ya?). Good to hear you like it.

fwiw jkeny, I took some measurements of the Bridge and ~1.2V peak to peak on the scope reads about 450mVAC on my fluke.

The musiland 02 shows ~670mV peak to peak on the scope and measures ~122mVAC on the meter.

maybe this will give you a frame of reference to kinda work with while you're tuning the output up.

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #96 of 247

Quote:

fwiw jkeny, I took some measurements of the Bridge and ~1.2V peak to peak on the scope reads about 450mVAC on my fluke.

The musiland 02 shows ~670mV peak to peak on the scope and measures ~122mVAC on the meter.

maybe this will give you a frame of reference to kinda work with while you're tuning the output up.

Thanks Digger,
When you say the Bridge, do you mean the Halide? I've seen reports that this sounds better than the Hiface. I know you don't have a Hiface but how much better than the Musiland do you find the sound when using the Musiland as a transport only?

Yes good work Hawaya!

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #98 of 247
Here's something that will probably interest a lot of readers - Dave Clarke from Positive Feedback is doing a round-up report on a number of these products - see this post on CA http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Halide-Design-Bridge-Review#comment-45366

Quote:
I have now the Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3 (with Ultraclock) powered by the Hynes DC PSU, a Sonicweld Diverter, the Stello U2, the Blue Circle Thingee, the M2Tech, the Halide Bridge, and coming soon the Audiophelio, Art Legato, and Lindemann units and a few others still in the works/under development.

It should prove to be very interesting :)

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #99 of 247
Most interesting indeed. He had promised in CA some time ago(after much prodding) to do such a roundup and try to keep everyone informed and up to speed. Looks like the time has come.

EDIT: I see the link is to the article I was referring to.

Jul 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #100 of 247
   Heh, I couldn't agree more with MichiGoon about the Bridge. First impression was extreme disappointment. Everything sounded so foreign, most especially the stuff that I was most familiar with and had listened to almost exclusively for about 2 months before Canjam. Took me all of 3 weeks of daily listening to fully acclimate and adjust to the new sound.
    I said it somewhere else but it bears repeating. I spent every evening for 2 solid weeks tuning my Denon 2ks for the perfect bass response and level, without sacrificing anything else in any other area. I made some significant improvements, through luck and chance of course, just by trying different methods and materials and listening to the same track over and over. I did not recieve the Bridge until the same day I left for Canjam, and suffice it to say I was busy doing other stuff while I was there, so didn't really get to listen much to my stuff until I got home and setup again. Like MichiGoon on CA, most impressive is the bass. I have never heard the definition elsewhere. I won't vomit audiophool adjectives all over your thread, but bottom line is, I like it. I will eventually try a HiFace someday soon, simply because my audio creed is "try it and listen for yourself." Who knows, maybe because of what you're(and everyone else, you too Regal) doing here, there will be a modded version offered by M2tech, or an offspring company.

Anyways, just thought you might like to know that I totally identified with MichiGoon when I read his post on CA.
It's all good, and to me we are spoiled rotten with way too much stuff to listen to and try. We are so fortunate.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #101 of 247

Quote:
Very nice work hawaya(how are ya?).

Thank you Digger945,thank you JKenny, fine, BTW does the 1,8v mode improve SQ, and is there anybody who try to change pulse trafo?
Thank's in advise.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #103 of 247

I called Fluke,  even though thier DMM's can measure AC frquency up to 50khz,  they can't measure AC voltage at those high frequencies,  confusing enough that I almost convinced my wife that I need to finally buy a scope :)

Quote:

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #104 of 247
As I have explained, the mod does give me improvement in most of the sound elements. I like it before the mod.

I will zoom out the critical part and post the mod here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back