Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE
Nov 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #2,854 of 2,910
I'm planning to buy Cambridge cxu player. Anyone heard of it? I hope it goes well with realiser.

Have not tested before, but its features are excellent, with a top notch quality, and reviews are all positive.

HDMI out with Darbee and the other one for audio out are exactly what you need with realiser to be a multi channel central hub for your home theater setup, all based on HDMI connectivity.

However, OPPO BDP-103 is a serious  competitor with almost 1/3 of the price!

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,855 of 2,910

thats my setup on top.

now i can get 7.1 surround through pc with cambridge cxu.

all fine. but i can experience some lag with the audio. lag is about 0.7 / 0.9 seconds.

im not sure how to fix that. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,856 of 2,910
Not really OT, but I had to share this item from Gizmodo about a listening experience with Sennheiser's new $55K Orpheus electrostatic headphones.

"Sennheiser’s spared no expense on the headphones at all. It’s not a headphone, in fact, it’s a headphone with a huge integrated amplifier attached to it. The amp uses eight vacuum tubes, chosen for their superior impulse processing compared to a solid-state system. The trouble is that tubes are susceptible to airborne noise that solid state systems aren’t, so to compensate, Sennheiser freely suspended the tubes in a block of Carrara marble."

"From the very start, using the Orpheus headphones is a luxury experience. Push the power button, and the whole thing comes to life like some kind of portable nuclear reactor. The buttons pop out.  So do the tubes."

Don't forget to expand and read the comments below the article.  Hilarious!  Like this one:

"It’d be cooler if instead of 8 tubes it was 8 fleshlights that rose up - perhaps symbolizing one’s future sexual opportunities after one divulged to his/her significant other that they’d spent $55k on headphones."

Terrific equipment review. Enjoy.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,857 of 2,910
An interesting announcement from CES 2016.  I'm wondering if the upcoming DaySequerra iMix Live could offer some competition to the Smyth Realiser 8 when it comes to 5.1 playback over Stereo Headphones.
(The Smyth also does 7.1 which is not part of iMix Live).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2016-day-2

Jan 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,858 of 2,910
  An interesting announcement from CES 2016.  I'm wondering if the upcoming DaySequerra iMix Live could offer some competition to the Smyth Realiser 8 when it comes to 5.1 playback over Stereo Headphones.
(The Smyth also does 7.1 which is not part of iMix Live).

Can't find any additional info on this iMix Live device.  Or is it iMax Live.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #2,860 of 2,910
Just had to comment on my first experience running in dual-user mode.  TERRIFIC!

I had an out of town friend visiting me for "birthday week", and had pre-arranged with Lorr and Mark at AIX for a Lorr-conducted 5.1 calibration for her at AIX so that we could then be able to enjoy watching/listening HDTV and BluRay movies together through one Realiser, with each of us having our own PRIR/HPEQ and headphone/amp setup.  I brought my older Stax Omega-1 and SRM-T1S amp with us to AIX, so that the proper HPEQ could be built for the equipment she was going to be listening through.  I would be listening through my newer SR-009/SRM-007tII and Audio-GD NFB9 DAC.

Everything went just as expected during the calibration, with the inevitable broad smile on her face at the end of it during the A/B comparison of headphone vs. the speakers, and the anticipated astonished exclamation that "it sounds the same!!".  Just as predicted.  Happens every time!

Later, I read the user manual to learn how to make this all work.  Seemed simple enough: (a) create Preset P4 with PRIR/HPEQ for User2 (including adjusting Volume as desired and doing a SAVE), and (b) connect main outputs 3/4 to the L/R inputs of the User2 headphone amp.  Then get into dual-user mode by pressing Menu -> SVS, and navigating from N to Y and OK.  User2 is fixed to be assumed from P4, so at this point the display will show 4 as the second digit.  Then push P1 (assuming P1 is the preset to be used for User1), and the display will show 1 as the first digit (i.e. "1-4").

And that's it.  Except that the documentation doesn't explicitly describe how to independently adjust the volume for User1 or User2 if you then wanted to. Turns out the up/down arrow control of Volume applies to whichever user is currently selected on the first digit.  So if you want to adjust the volume for User1, the first digit should show "1" (i.e. P1 has been pressed, so that the display shows "1-4").  If you want to adjust the volume for User2, the first digit should should show "4" (i.e. P4 has been pressed, so that the display shows "4-4").  And then to return the Realiser to proper dual-user mode, P1 should then be pressed again so that the display once again shows "1-4", with each user's volume level now adjusted uniquely as desired.

And amazingly, it works perfectly!  And of course it's terrifically satisfying to actually have two users both experiencing the "SVS effect" simultaneously, experiencing listening to whatever's on the big screen while via the wonderful AIX mixing room sound. Really really really fun.  Obviously, my own SR-009/SRM-007tII/DAC setup sounded a bit better than her Omega-1/SRM-T1S, but just being able to share the "magic ears" experience with someone else was a terrific birthday present.

It works!

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #2,864 of 2,910
I asked this on the A16 thread and was advised to ask here.
I was lucky enough to have a demo of the A16 today at CanJam London. I was amazed.
It is very tempting to join the Kickstarter campaign.
However. It occurs to me that I have heard an expertly set up demonstration by someone who understands the product inside and out.
What is the likelihood of me getting anywhere near that level of performance given that I am neither technically knowledgeable nor very computer literate?
A minor query. Does the headtracker stay in place once set up is complete?

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,865 of 2,910
...Does the headtracker stay in place once set up is complete?

The head tracker remains in place so that if you move your head the virtual speakers do not move; however I believe some users of the A8 dispense with it, presumably because they tend not to move their heads during use. I would expect that whilst not using head tracking might be ok for music it could give strange results if used with video as the picture does not move. On the A16 it is not essential to have the set-top target fitted to use the tracker on the headphone, see the Kickstarter Campaign page under 'SVS Head tracker unit' and the linked pdf http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf. Note that the head tracker on the A16 allows for 360 degree movement, whereas that on the A8 is restricted to a much more limited angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back