Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jan 18, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #46 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how's the tube rolling, any impressions?
biggrin.gif

OK guys, I've been very busy lately but I have about 20 hours on the 6AK5/EF95 tubes. My early impressions are that they have a more prominent lower end than the stock tubes. However, the soundstage seems to have narrowed ever so slightly. These tubes are a little more upfront and aggressive than the stock tubes. I will continue burning them in until I get about 50 hours on them. So far I think I prefer the stock tubes because they seem smoother to my ears. But...it's early in the burn in process...

More later.....

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #49 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Ediswan EF92? These were sent as a replacement to my stock tubes which were damaged in shipping. I wont have anything to compare them with.

Ediswan EF92's are alright, personally I prefer Mullard's EF92 and much more so the M8161 which is the military version of EF92.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #50 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK guys, I've been very busy lately but I have about 20 hours on the 6AK5/EF95 tubes. My early impressions are that they have a more prominent lower end than the stock tubes. However, the soundstage seems to have narrowed ever so slightly. These tubes are a little more upfront and aggressive than the stock tubes. I will continue burning them in until I get about 50 hours on them. So far I think I prefer the stock tubes because they seem smoother to my ears. But...it's early in the burn in process...

More later.....

The narrower soundstage could be due to mismatched tubes, do you know if your tubes are matched?
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #51 of 3,408
So I got home tonight and put the EF92s in the amp. I put the jumper on because they are required. I power it up and nothing works. I put the old tubes back in and pull the jumpers and I get sound. I go back and forth a few times with the same results. I finally take a closer look at the tubes and they aren't EF92. They are 5654s. I realized I should have inspected them sooner but who puts a 5654 in a box marked EF92? I hope having the jumpers in didn't hurt anything.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #52 of 3,408
I notice ebay tube seller yen has an Amperex 5654 matched pair of tubes up. These are suppose to be great tubes. Opening bid is $32 although there are no bids yet.

Update: The RCA 6AK5/EF95 tubes I put in last week are really sounding excellent!!!! Since my last post I have about 50 hrs on them and the harshness has turned into a very sweet sound! The soundstage has widened and the bass is more pronounced than on the stock tubes. These are very nice tubes I recommend for anybody interested in tube rolling their MKIII.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #53 of 3,408
Quote:

I notice ebay tube seller yen has an Amperex 5654 matched pair of tubes up. These are suppose to be great tubes. Opening bid is $32 although there are no bids yet.

Update: The RCA 6AK5/EF95 tubes I put in last week are really sounding excellent!!!! Since my last post I have about 50 hrs on them and the harshness has turned into a very sweet sound! The soundstage has widened and the bass is more pronounced than on the stock tubes. These are very nice tubes I recommend for anybody interested in tube rolling their MKIII.

Found a matched pair of RCA 6AK5 here. Yen's a great seller too, highly recommended. That Amperex looks pretty sweet, I would jump on it if I didn't already have a pair. :p

A tip for those interested, I'm pretty sure the National 403B's he's listed are actually rebranded Tung-Sol black-plates. National Electronics bought in their tubes from different manufacturers and just put their own brand on them as they required, I have a pair just like that and it's one of my favorite 403B's.

Jan 23, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #54 of 3,408
A tip for those interested, I'm pretty sure the National 403B's he's listed are actually rebranded Tung-Sol black-plates. National Electronics bought in their tubes from different manufacturers and just put their own brand on them as they required, I have a pair just like that and it's one of my favorite 403B's.[/QUOTE]

So how sure %? I cant seem to track any down at the moment but if these are really them then certainly keen!

The RCA's are a class act indeed. Got them in right know.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #55 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by headcheck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how sure %? I cant seem to track any down at the moment but if these are really them then certainly keen!

The RCA's are a class act indeed. Got them in right know.
biggrin.gif

I'm about 90% sure that those National branded tubes are Tung-Sol black plates from what I can see of the construction and what I know about the history.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #56 of 3,408
I've got a matched pair of GE 5 stars coming. Anybody familiar with these tubes?

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #58 of 3,408
Quote:

I've got a matched pair of GE 5 stars coming. Anybody familiar with these tubes?

They're wonderful tubes, takes a while a burn in but they're basically the best tubes that GE made (and then hand selected to qualify as 5 Star), and GE made a lot of tubes. Matched pair is also important and a good thing to have. Congrats on the find.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the MKIII take the same types of tubes as the MKII?

Yes.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #59 of 3,408
Quote:

$32 seems high to me, but then I wouldn't pay $25 either. I just picked up a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6CQ6 (EF92) tubes on ebay for $12. Got them yesterday. They aren't matched but they are identical NOS tubes in original boxes, with the BB logo completely intact, from a great (honest) seller. He's got a pair of Mullards for the same price, same condition. I may have to buy those also.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #60 of 3,408
Hi all, has anyone tried the EF91 tubes on the MkIII? I found a matched pair of Telefunken ones and wonder what difference in sound would the EF91's made compared to the stock ones.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back