Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jan 26, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #61 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, has anyone tried the EF91 tubes on the MkIII? I found a matched pair of Telefunken ones and wonder what difference in sound would the EF91's made compared to the stock ones.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Danika, are the ones from yen1233 you're talking about?
wink.gif

I have actually had quite a bit of experience rolling the EF91 family. The thing that differentiates the EF91 family of tubes from the stock EF95 family is that the former draws a lot more current (300mA on EF91 compared to 175mA on EF95) and from the higher current comes the ability to handle higher gain and in fact the EF91 stays linear across a wider bandwith than the EF95.

In English, the EF91 sounds more linear and more 'airy' and extended in the top end. Telefunken of course is one of the best manufacturers in the business and is well known for the neutrality of its tubes. If you want to hear things in your favorite record that you haven't heard before, IMO the EF91 is the way to go.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #62 of 3,408
I have been watching the bidding on some of ebay seller yen1233 tube auctions. Seems the prices can get pretty high for his tubes, but, it seems he sells alot of high quality tubes.

So, you guys that have knowledge and experience buying tubes, Penchum, DoA, Negatron and others, are these tubes worth that price??

I like the fact that they are matched pairs and he tells you they are compatible for the MKIII. Plus, I won a matched pair of GE 5 Stars and he was great to deal with!!!!!

It just seems like one could easily spend a small fortune on tubes.

I would appreciate any comments on this!

Gotta go chase my wallet around the house again..........................

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #63 of 3,408
Well, as I indicated in a previous post I bought a pair of Mullard and a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy EF92 for $12 per pair on ebay. They aren't matched, but they are NOS tubes in the original boxes.

It's funny, I don't even have the amp yet and I've purchased 5 pairs of tubes on ebay:

Two Amperex Bugle Boy EF92
Two Mullard EF92
Two RCA EF95

Such is life with a tube amp and I'm just getting started.
smily_headphones1.gif

The other four tubes were supposed to be NOS pairs of Raytheon and Tungsol EF95. The ebay auction said 'various' so I emailed the guy before I bought them and asked him which brands he had available. He told me he had PAIRS of Tungsol, RCA, Raytheon, and Westinghouse, so I committed to a 'Buy It Now' for four tubes and attached a message to my PayPal payment that I wanted a pair of Raytheon and Tungsol. I got the tubes and saw that he sent me 1 Raytheon, 1 Tungsol, and 2 completely different Westinghouse tubes. He hasn't responded to my emails, so I have opened a PayPal dispute.

Whatever you guys do, do not buy from a seller named Moonshine Tubes in Minnesota.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #64 of 3,408
So, out of curiosity, has it been determined if there are any tube-rolling options for the power tube in the MkIII?

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #65 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, out of curiosity, has it been determined if there are any tube-rolling options for the power tube in the MkIII?

Not that I am aware of, and that is a definite negative in my mind.

Tube rolling aside, it would be reassuring to know that there were commonly available tubes in the US that could be substituted for the stock Russian (?) tubes. I don't especially like the idea of having to order new power tubes from Russia, the Ukraine, or directly from Little Dot.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #66 of 3,408
Quote:

This tread at the LD forum has your answer:

Viewing a thread - 6N6P-I equivalents in LD mkIII?

In a nutshell, the pin configuration of 6N6P-I's (the power tubes) are unique. If you want to try assorted E182CC tubes and their bretheren, you'd need to break out a soldering iron and re-wire the pin sockets to the board.

There's a diagram provided by Sword, visable once you log on.

I'll stick with rolling just the driver tubes myself.
eek.gif

E

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #67 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tube rolling aside, it would be reassuring to know that there were commonly available tubes in the US that could be substituted for the stock Russian (?) tubes. I don't especially like the idea of having to order new power tubes from Russia, the Ukraine, or directly from Little Dot.

FWIW, I ordered and received 5pr of Russian output tubes for my MKIII from a Ukraine eBayer. $20 + 12 shipping = $32 for more than a lifetime's supply. No problems in the transaction.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #68 of 3,408
Quote:

He told me he had PAIRS of Tungsol, RCA, Raytheon, and Westinghouse, so I committed to a 'Buy It Now' for four tubes and attached a message to my PayPal payment that I wanted a pair of Raytheon and Tungsol. I got the tubes and saw that he sent me 1 Raytheon, 1 Tungsol, and 2 completely different Westinghouse tubes. He hasn't responded to my emails, so I have opened a PayPal dispute.

Whatever you guys do, do not buy from a seller named Moonshine Tubes in Minnesota.

That's why I only buy tubes from reputable dealers these days. I guess we all had to go through the buy-cheap-from-shady-dealers phase, but in the end I learned my lesson... tubes, like everything else, you get what you pay for. Sure it's nice to get things on the cheap, but I'd rather spend a little extra for a pair of tubes that I KNOW will be top quality and matching and packaged well. Considering how important tubes are for the performance of a tube amp, I'd say vote with your money and go with reputable dealers and tubes that won't hold your amp back.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #69 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I only buy tubes from reputable dealers these days. I guess we all had to go through the buy-cheap-from-shady-dealers phase, but in the end I learned my lesson... tubes, like everything else, you get what you pay for. Sure it's nice to get things on the cheap, but I'd rather spend a little extra for a pair of tubes that I KNOW will be top quality and matching and packaged well. Considering how important tubes are for the performance of a tube amp, I'd say vote with your money and go with reputable dealers and tubes that won't hold your amp back.

I hear you.

I have been forutnate until this transaction, though. I have purchased a lot of tubes on ebay for my Woo6 and have always gotten exactly what I expected. This is the first time I've experienced a bad deal. All of the other tubes I puchased for the LDMKIII have also been perfect, at least cosmetically. I'll know more about the sonic part when I actually get my amp and try them.

ethebull,

Can you PM me with a link to the seller you dealt with on the power tubes? I'd like to have a stash also.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #70 of 3,408
Quote:

Agreed. I prefer to only buy tube amps that allow the use of fairly common NOS US tube types. For one thing, it's much more fun for me! But I agree it also is less worrisome.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #71 of 3,408
Hi!

I`m a noob and thinking to get a Little Dot MK III for my K701`s. Whan I get it I will be looking for some warmer, more musical tubes to compensate for the coldness and distance of my AKG`s. Which of Yen`s tubes on Ebay (seems that he`s the most trustworthy source) do you think would best match that description?
These 5 are in my shortlist:

Mullard M8161
RCA NOS 5654
Mullard 403B
Mullard 5654
GE Five Star 6AK5

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #72 of 3,408
Quote:

Agreed. I prefer to only buy tube amps that allow the use of fairly common NOS US tube types. For one thing, it's much more fun for me! But I agree it also is less worrisome.

FWIW, there IS a subtle difference between the 6H6P and the 6H6Pi. (At $2 each for 10
biggrin.gif
) As to ordering from the Russian Federation: Personally arranging an oxcart and a sailing boat for transportation my prove faster. It has been my personal experience in ordering old Sov. surplus that Latvia, an EU member, is very efficient, friendly and business like, plus.. QUICK. My second choice if no option is from Georgia. If I must order from Russia I try and forget asap. Then when it finally shows up, it is a pleasant surprise.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #73 of 3,408
Anybody have any information or experience with a Telefunken 6AM6 S EF91 tube???

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #74 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, there IS a subtle difference between the 6H6P and the 6H6Pi. (At $2 each for 10
biggrin.gif
) As to ordering from the Russian Federation: Personally arranging an oxcart and a sailing boat for transportation my prove faster. It has been my personal experience in ordering old Sov. surplus that Latvia, an EU member, is very efficient, friendly and business like, plus.. QUICK. My second choice if no option is from Georgia. If I must order from Russia I try and forget asap. Then when it finally shows up, it is a pleasant surprise.
wink.gif

Agreed. I don't usually run into problems with reputable Russian tube dealers, albeit the tubes might take a month or two to come.
frown.gif

Oh and I always get tricked into thinking that Georgia is a state in the US.
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #75 of 3,408
I have had decent luck ordering from Romania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back