List of DACs that work with iPad
Sep 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #556 of 963
Quote:
I already tried to join that thread but nobody is interested in 24 bit and I've not received any answer regarding CLAS and iPad max bit/freq tested by users.

I can understand why though as the limited storage capacity is quite a deterrent for most (but not all) to have hires files kept in their iPads. In fact, even for myself, after the test I've pretty much set iTunes to downsample all my music to 256kbps AAC when syncing to the iPad and iPhone (but not touch the original on the iMac itself). iOS doesn't seem to like full filesystems. So I've wiped out my hires off my iDevices. I'd rather have my hires files on sonically more capable device like the iBasso DX100 and keep my iDevices as a big jukebox.

This thread, at least reading based on the OP's first post is more collating a bunch of (USB->CCK?) DACs that work with the iPad.

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #557 of 963
I don't know if you've followed my thread lately, but I've added the GoFlex Satellite 500GB and wi-fi stream 24 bit-perfect audio files to iPad at 24/96. I prefer to keep iPad even for portable use since I watch videos or surf internet and a small display doesn't fit my needs.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #558 of 963
Quote:
CCK also works well on iPhone 4S (Jailbreak + Bigboss Repo app: CameraConnect)

That's kind of a big deal or old news?

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #560 of 963
Very interested on the seagate go satellite with the iPad. can you use the itunes interface- or some  wonky other type?  Stream 24/192 or higher??? It's a cool $199 solution for setting up a  battery powered wi-fi network with NAS drive (ideal for the car and in car group DJ) since you can share multiple IOS device streams at once..

Any audio drop outs?

So that removes the issue of iPad 64gb storage capacity for hi-rez files ....... but I probably will not be able to use Pure Music... is there an an Amarra type app that can boost SQ?

Does the CCK add any jitter difference on top of the wi-fi (are there jitter issues with streaming?) 

What is your favorite DAC with it so far?

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #561 of 963
Quote:
Very interested on the seagate go satellite with the iPad. can you use the itunes interface- or some  wonky other type?  Stream 24/192 or higher??? It's a cool $199 solution for setting up a  battery powered wi-fi network with NAS drive (ideal for the car and in car group DJ) since you can share multiple IOS device streams at once..

Any audio drop outs?

I have the Satellite drive and it works really well. I can't remember off hand, but I believe you have to use the Seagate app to stream content from the drive to your device. That was not ideal for me, so I promptly loaded third party firmware which gives it MUCH more functionality:
http://www.hackseagatesatellite.com

It's not as user friendly as the Seagate firmware/app, but with the hack, you can use any app that can stream via SMB or UPNP or FTP, etc. You can also connect as many devices as you want simultaneously. I can access it from Android, Windows, or Mac devices.

For audio, there is plenty of speed/bandwidth to stream multiple streams. For video, I can usually get stutter free 720p video and sometimes 1080p if it's not too high a bitrate.

It's great having a 500GB iPad!

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #562 of 963
I have just found a solution for the power issue :)
I have connected mini UNPOWERED USB hub to my Ipad 3 with CCK, and then a USB DAC to the hub. Guess what, everything works like a charm.
Without the hub i did get the Not enough power message.
I will test the same with HRT MSII after i get home and report how it works.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #563 of 963
Quote:
I don't know if you've followed my thread lately, but I've added the GoFlex Satellite 500GB and wi-fi stream 24 bit-perfect audio files to iPad at 24/96. I prefer to keep iPad even for portable use since I watch videos or surf internet and a small display doesn't fit my needs.

Does it work with FLAC Player? (Although if it at least works with iTunes I still have a drive that won't clutter all my audio if I converted a lot of it into ALAC or AAC)

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #564 of 963
I just used the cck with my iphone4s (using camera connect app from cydia), connected it to the usb interface of my arcam rdac to a burson amp and it worked flawlessly, Can someone verify if i am bypassing the internal dac of the iphone (just like with an ipad - cck - dac)? Thank so much.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #566 of 963
yes, its jailbroken.  bought the camera connector app.  So, does this route share the same principle as with the ipad-cck-usb dac?  Although for the cck to work with the iphone, i had to restart the phone while connected to the dac and you have to go through the restart procedure every time you disconnect the iphone (unlike using the ipad where the dac automatically detects the ipad upon connection)

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #567 of 963
Hi!Let me start by saying this is an awesome community and I'm glad to be a part of it (new member). 
tongue.gif

Now,I am having some trouble understanding how does this Ipad+CCK+DAC works.
confused.gif

I am planning on getting me a HI-FI system and I want to be able to playback music using the Ipad (3rd)

Questions:

1. There is any particulary CCK (product code?) that can transmit the audio signal via USB to DAC or they are all able to?

2. Using this scheme will I be able to do that?

Ipad>CCK>Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100>Marantz PM6004>KEF Q300

3.It will work if I ditch  the DAC and just buy the AV Composite cable and plug it in the back of the AMP?Any SQ loss?

Any advice will be appreciated.Thank you!
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #568 of 963
Quote:

1. There is any particulary CCK (product code?) that can transmit the audio signal via USB to DAC or they are all able to?

Use the Apple one.

2. Using this scheme will I be able to do that?

Ipad>CCK>Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100>Marantz PM6004>KEF Q300

Yes.

3.It will work if I ditch  the DAC and just buy the AV Composite cable and plug it in the back of the AMP?Any SQ loss?

You won't be taking advantage of your Cambridge, you would be using the iPad's DAC instead that way.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #569 of 963
Quote:

Does it work with FLAC Player? (Although if it at least works with iTunes I still have a drive that won't clutter all my audio if I converted a lot of it into ALAC or AAC)

Flac Player works for local files only, iTunes doesn't work of course, the GoFlex Satellite wi-fi stream 500Gb in DLNA mode.
You can use any third-party DLNA apps, but most downsample data to 16/44. Use 8player app and you're done. For video use AirPlayer which is faster with .avi.

It's not easy to stream 24 bit-perfect audio data from server to DAC without downsample to 16/44 in any point in the chain, for details go here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-works

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #570 of 963
Quote:
To understand how many points need to be considered for 24 bit-perfect streaming, read the OT here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back