Liquid Gold - 2014
Oct 29, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #466 of 808
Finally timed Goldie. 2:05 for first white light, then 0:25 for second, for 2:30 total. For reference she'd been off for ~4 days, but only off from the front button, not the back switch. Cheers 

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #467 of 808
For what this info is worth, I've learned that the startup time does depend on the line voltage, or the sufficiency of line voltage.
My LAu is a 230V unit.  I had experienced longer than average startup- 4 mins to first white light and 20 secs to second white light.
After checking with Alex, he stated that the startup circuit is set for 220-240V.   The longer startup I experienced was likely caused by the voltage at home sometimes around 216-220V.  
Today I installed a step-up transformer taking the line voltage to 235V, and now I am getting very similar startup times as others who replied on this thread...  2 mins to first white light and 20 secs to second white light.  Solved!!

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #468 of 808
My startup is 02:07 in the red, then 21 seconds to white for a totoal of 02:28. Shutdown sounds like a flurry of lightning in there, lol.

I noticed that the LAu protection would trip to red sometimes while I'm burning it in. I was feeding it from the DAVE's "DAC mode" preset balanced which is 6Vrms, a little hot, and almost full volume in low gain with no headphones connected (given that they mentioned they did 50 hrs at near full volume). I dropped the voltage down to the more common 4Vrms and lowered the LAu volume slightly and haven't had any trip since. So, the mighty LAu may have some limits.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #469 of 808
I have my Goldie on a set of three isolation feet (Isocups) to allow air passage underneath, and then a USB powered fan behind her (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G059G86/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This keeps my girl nice and cool and haven't had any issues. Also haves such a fan behind my DAC (Geek Pulse Infinity/LPS4 stack) to help keep it cool, which seems to have helped it's stability as well. Cool thing (pun intended) is you can daisy chain the fans so you only need one USB port to power them, and they're nice and quiet. Cheers 

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #470 of 808
I'm pretty sure it was feeding it 6Vrms at near max volume, not overheating. Good to know the protection circuits work. :wink:

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #471 of 808
Got my new LAu all broken in and am commencing comparisons with the Studio Six. Early impression is that they are very different presentations but both top notch amps.

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #472 of 808
Just pulled the trigger on a very lightly used PS Audio Directstream DAC to pair with my Lau.  Got to hear it paired with my Lau at the Nashville meet.  Anybody interested in a Auralic Vega up for sale soon?

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #473 of 808
Got my new LAu all broken in and am commencing comparisons with the Studio Six. Early impression is that they are very different presentations but both top notch amps.

That comparison has been a looooong time coming for you. Looking forward to your impressions. :)

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #474 of 808
That comparison has been a looooong time coming for you. Looking forward to your impressions. :)
Lol yeah I've been dreaming of these two amps since 2014 so this is my dream come true :) thanks for remembering

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #475 of 808

That comparison has been a looooong time coming for you. Looking forward to your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol yeah I've been dreaming of these two amps since 2014 so this is my dream come true
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for remembering

Will be very interested to hear your impression and comparison of these two very well regarded amps

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #476 of 808
First impressions out of the box on the HD800S were very much a WOW moment.  Starting to replicate  the beauty of my big rig,  the source is shining through. Its a huge step up from my Woo Audio WA7d as you'd expect for their relative price points.  Wonderful solid imaging and confirmed my earlier suspicions that the WA7d was straining a little with the Senns. To think that the sound is only going to get better over the next few weeks is amazing to me. Many thanks to all at Cavalli Audio and to all the Head fi contributors that helped turn my attention to the Gold :bigsmile_face:

Truly an amazing product. Glad your enjoying as much as I am. I couldn't agree more.

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #477 of 808
  First impressions out of the box on the HD800S were very much a WOW moment.  Starting to replicate  the beauty of my big rig,  the source is shining through. Its a huge step up from my Woo Audio WA7d as you'd expect for their relative price points.  Wonderful solid imaging and confirmed my earlier suspicions that the WA7d was straining a little with the Senns. To think that the sound is only going to get better over the next few weeks is amazing to me. Many thanks to all at Cavalli Audio and to all the Head fi contributors that helped turn my attention to the Gold 
bigsmile_face.gif

Highbury, huh? Does the phrase "The Arsenal" ring a bell? Are you perchance a fellow fan? 
normal_smile .gif

Back to the LAu - I concur about the HD800 (and HD800S)/LAu combination. It's truly a breathtaking pairing!

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #478 of 808
All this positive feedback is making me really excited now.

Mine has been with UK customs for the last 4 days waiting to clear. I note previous comments about the free burn-in service, NOT funny! 
wink.gif

Anyhow, I can't even use it or burn it in yet as Im still waiting for my DAC and Phones to arrive. 
frown.gif

Im actually listening to my MacPro (internal speakers) > JRiver 21 > Synology > feeding it full fat WAV's whilst typing. Its not that bad actually! LOL

Anyway, this will be my source so Im glad JRiver is behaving well.

Regards to you all and enjoy the tunes you lucky buggers 
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #479 of 808

Highbury, huh? Does the phrase "The Arsenal" ring a bell? Are you perchance a fellow fan? 
normal_smile%20.gif

Back to the LAu - I concur about the HD800 (and HD800S)/LAu combination. It's truly a breathtaking pairing!

Hi Austinpop you guessed right Gooner through and through - slightly obsessive.  I actually know a couple of Gooners from Austin TX too!  ive even taken them to the stadium - which im looking at right now from my window:)

Its probably going to take me a long time to burnt he Lau in properly but it doesnt worry me.  Sounds great from the off.  Ive loaded up on some CD boxsets and ploughing through them with a huge grin

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #480 of 808
  Hi Austinpop you guessed right Gooner through and through - slightly obsessive.  I actually know a couple of Gooners from Austin TX too!  ive even taken them to the stadium - which im looking at right now from my window:)

Wow - small world!
beerchug.gif

I'm a big-time fellow Gooner, although only been to the Emirates once - on St. Totteringham's Day, May 2016, last game of the season against Villa, where we overtook Spurs for 2nd. "It's happened, it's happened again, Tottenham Hotspur, it's happened again!"

Okay enough OT talk - LAu readers are probably looking at us funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back