Liquid Gold - 2014
Oct 25, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #436 of 808
Canada Customs is playing with delaying mine.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #437 of 808
FEDEX and UK customs dicking about with mine since last thursday  
confused.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #439 of 808
They are probably burning in your unit to make sure your units are working fine. Such dedication to their jobs...

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #440 of 808
I'm going out of town for 4 days and I think I'll miss Goldie! Was sad turning her off before I left the house... 
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #441 of 808
Guys, didn't you know that Cavalli has an agreement with the respective countries' customs offices to further burn in the amps while inspecting the parcel before actually the amp gets delivered. It's all part of the excellent Cavalli service towards the buyers! :wink:

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #443 of 808
Well it is a fine service by the customs officials but thankfully delivery has now taken place.  All i need now is to get my pesky job out of the way and head home to musical nirvana :gs1000smile:

I am also waiting for delivery. Interested to know how long the process took from initial notification from Cavalli to actual delivery? Thanks

Enjoy your new toy :thumbsup:

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #444 of 808
request for monies came about a week before dispatch. Fedex collected it in austin on the tuesday.  it landed in UK thurs.  fedex failed to get in touch telling me there was duty to pay.  website said delivery was going to take place monday but it didnt happen. having called them yesterday discovering there was a charge to pay i settled it and it was delivered this morning. so 15 days between  making  final payment and delivery here in the UK.  weekend and customs got in the way

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #445 of 808
Thanks. I look forward to joining the LAu owners club!

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #446 of 808
So excited, yet must remain patient.

I work for myself, and I work from home, yet I'm far too swamped to hook up my newly received LAu.

Must. Temper. Excitement.

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #447 of 808
I have finally burned my amp for 175 hours, plus.the 50 hours of factory burn time. The amp sounds fantastic with great controlled bass, sweet mids and good treble. The overall sound signature is very natural and resolute as well as detailed. I hooked up my Beyerdynamic DT 880 880 600 ohm headphones to the Liquid Gold and never had my DT 880's sound so good. I spent the afternoon listening to Zappa's "SHUT UP AND PLAY YOUR GUITAR", using my different headphones. I love how my ETHER 1.1 sound out of the Gold. But surprisingly my HE1K sounded best out of my Liquid Crimson or my Liquid Glass, using my Telefunken E88CC Platinum tubes.
P.s after spending the last two hours jamming out, I stand corrected, the HE1K have never sounded better out of the Gold.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #448 of 808
Man alive!

I couldn't resist a listen, I quickly cleared a space on my messy desk and plugged in the X5's line out as a source to the SE input on the LAu. Pretty good. A little grain and some harshness and sizzle in the treble. That led me down the rabbit hole of another quick test. I connected the AK240/Mojo stack to the LAu, much better! The LAu is definitely transparent enough to recognize the qualities of the source feeding it (I would bloody well hope so!). Next I have to dig out my RCA and XLR interconnects and hook up the DAVE. Rob Watts says the SE RCA output of the DAVE is more transparent than the balanced XLR output. I'll have to test both to see if the difference is audible (to me), and if the phase splitter on the LAu's SE input is better than the less transparent XLR from the DAVE.

Too much to test so for now I'm just going to leave it burning in until I get some time to find my cables and do the comparisons. By the way, the ETHER Flow sounds incredible from the LAu straight out of the box fed by the Mojo. It's so transparent, detailed, yet not barfing treble harshness at me. Very pleasant sound. Smooth. I'll be back after 150 hrs as per the manual.

One last thing. Compared to the Liquid Crimson I had on demo for far too long I can say that I think the LAu is definitely a step up, but absolutely in the same Cavalli family. Love this sound, Thanks Alex / Warren!!!!!

:)

Edit: By the way, this is a POWERFUL amp. With the ETHER Flow connected to the 4pin XLR on low gain and Mojo's output level set to 1.9Vrms I barely have the LAu's volume knob at 8 o'clock and I'm averaging 75-80 dB with peaks at around 90-92 dB listening to Melissa Menago's Little Crimes album. For me the LAu purchase is not about power or transparency with the headphones I have. It's 100% about the Cavalli tonality.

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #449 of 808
so factory do 50 hours and i have to do 100 hours right? can i leave it working for 100 hours on low volume and music on loop?

also i am looking forward for your DAVE and LAu comparison :D also Utopia sound on DAVE alone vs LAu + any other DAC combo. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #450 of 808
so factory do 50 hours and i have to do 100 hours right? can i leave it working for 100 hours on low volume and music on loop?

also i am looking forward for your DAVE and LAu comparison :D also Utopia sound on DAVE alone vs LAu + any other DAC combo. 

The manual says 150 hours on top of the 50 done in Texas.

It'll be a while before I can do any comparisons, so busy.... I sold all my other desktop gear when I ordered the DAVE and LAu so it'll only be between the DAVE alone and the LAu added to the DAVE. Technically you can't add a component in the chain and reduce transparency so I suspect the LAu will simply add it's own flavour and power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back