Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Sep 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #722 of 5,933
  Lots of RMAF talk....Looking forward to seeing you guys there.  Be sure to swing by the LH Labs booth and make yourselves known! 

Definitely! Will be there on Thursday afternoon and available Thursday night as well as part of Friday morning. Will stop by 1110 and be sure to say "hi" and help out as a good "Geek Force" member should! Thanks - mscott58

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #724 of 5,933
Just got my last invoice for the XD 128 payment plan...and I'm wondering if there will be a prototype at the RMAF - I did read one comment from a user in the Pono thread stating that there would be one there, but I don't know if it's true or not. I hope it is and if so, can't wait to hear impressions.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #725 of 5,933
  Just got my last invoice for the XD 128 payment plan...and I'm wondering if there will be a prototype at the RMAF - I did read one comment from a user in the Pono thread stating that there would be one there, but I don't know if it's true or not. I hope it is and if so, can't wait to hear impressions.

Well they had one at T.H.E. Show so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bring a prototype to RMAF as well. Even if they're demoing the same one as before it would let several backers and industry names to give it a listen. They had the prototype Geek Outs at RMAF last year and it generated a good deal of buzz for the device. It'd be good press to have the Wave proto around this year. I'll certainly be asking to get a listen using my 1964-Q if they have it on hand.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #726 of 5,933

USB cable connecter Type C
I have just become aware that industry standard will change in 2015.
I assume Geek Wave will have this latest type connector.
I for one am quite content to wait well into 2015 if that means delivery will be delayed or maybe some will elect to delay to receive the new Type C connector as oppose to same who may be more impatient.
I will now postpone my purchase of a new laptop until these become available I think. I assume there will be connector units available to handle older devices which require their own smaller various USB connectors but the bit into computer was standard square I think called Type A.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #727 of 5,933
Do you remember how long it took for USB 3 ports to become common on Laptops? You may be waiting for a long while.
Beyond that, I think that their design is being finalized now. If it is not, we will be waiting well past the first half of 2015 for our hardware.
Freezing development now just so they could include this connector doesn't seem very practical. Consider that it will require a different USB chip, circuit board layout, case design...

I wish you luck in ever seeing this happen with the first runs of the Wave.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #729 of 5,933
What is Thunderbolt? I think it has something to do with Apple but I am a Win person. I have a suspicion that these USB ports Win and Mac are supposed to be the same? Which would be and advantage to all.

I appear to have raised a storm of yeas and nays on the LHGeek forums with regard to this USB issue. Apart from cable and adapter blow out (i have hold shoebox full of these various types)...won't the adapter degrade SQ?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #730 of 5,933

>>won't the adapter degrade SQ?

No, all USB connectors will deliver the same sound quality for two channel music and using an adapter will make no difference. This is because all USB connectors support a high enough data rate (easily) and all use the same protocol for audio and the adapter does not change that. Maybe a poorly made adapter might give you issues if it is not up to spec, but buy from a known company and you will be fine.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #731 of 5,933

Quote:

USB cable connecter Type C
I have just become aware that industry standard will change in 2015.
I assume Geek Wave will have this latest type connector.
I for one am quite content to wait well into 2015. . . .

Quote:
Do you remember how long it took for USB 3 ports to become common on Laptops? You may be waiting for a long while.

Hello, LargoCantabile -

Unfortunately, mandrake50 is undoubtedly correct. The Type-C standard was finalized six weeks ago, and supporting hardware may start to arrive before the end of the year. Nonetheless, it will likely be several years before the standard becomes widely adopted, and longer still for portable devices.

Best regards,
Brian

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #732 of 5,933
Just like smartphones. How many USB 3 phones are there?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #733 of 5,933
Just like smartphones. How many USB 3 phones are there?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

I think it is a power problem. USB 3 chipset uses more power to do its thing ... and the spec says it needs to provide a full amp to anything plugged into it.
I am not sure how they could design a phone or DAP to deliver the 100 watts (20 amps at 5 volts...YIKES) that the 3.1 spec calls for (at least for any length of time) , until they figure out something better than LION batteries for power anyway.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #734 of 5,933
I just got this e-mail update from Gavin:
RMAF is fast approaching! Are any of you going to be there? I hope to meet a lot of you in person.

Just wanted to let you know that we'll have the analog portion of Geek Wave at RMAF for you to listen to along with Geek Stream's final prototype. Please find me at CanJam or on the 11th floor of the tower (room 1110) to have a listen.

Can wait to see you there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back